News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Mail train consist restriction anomaly - brake vehicles

Started by merry, June 30, 2012, 08:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merry

Hi,

In a long-terms (and slowly played) game, i've finally got around to starting creation of a mail network.  Using ST-Ex 10.11 & PakBritain128-Ex 0.8.3.
The planned mail routes differ from my passenger network.
This means I need to create trains with no passenger accommodation - just mail vans (& a TPO).
Restrictoins on train formation mean that although the 1968-9 era stock is all through braked, the train must include a brake vehicle. So far, so good. But the only vehicles that can end a train are...brake open & brake composites. The full brake vehicles (which also include a guard's compartment) are not allowed to terminate a train. This means I cannot form a train without passenger accommodation.
Is there a way around this very odd restriction? Can anyone explain why a full brake can't finish a formation? Could I get brave & edit the pak if there is no other way to do it, and if so how ?
It happens to be 1969, but if I include the obsolete stock it gets no better, So I suspect this is a structural issue with the Pak.

On that note, I - in common with many others - consider the availability period for many vehicles in the modern era to be far too short: just because BR (and then the ToCs) only bought a design for a short period, doesn't mean it was not possible to do so. Eventually availability will cease, but build periods in rail are primarily mandated by the order book, not the manufacturer, until a new technology or old designs remove the viability of building a design.

Thanks,
Merry.

PS this might have been discussed before, but a quick search found nothing in the recent past.
PPS the problem is a that a mail route with passenger capability vastly distorts the passenger network where it provides a different route but very low capacity.

jamespetts

Merry,

thank you for your feedback. May I ask, however, what is the specific name of the vehicle that you describe as a "full brake vehicle"? I need to know which particular vehicle to investigate.

As to the issue of end of production dates - can you give some specific examples/suggestions of dates that you think ought be extended?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

merry

Hi james,

Well, it applies to any full brake (e.g. Br Mk1 full brake or BR Mk 2 full brake). I have found very few 'full brake' vehicles which may finish a formation. A full brake is a van (i.e. a coach body without fittings, just open space and maybe a cage to keep the corridor separate) with guard accommodation, and hence a handbrake.

If you're investigating, take a look at the amazing complexity of adjacent vehicle restrictions in the BR Mk 1 family. It really is very counter-intuitive, and certainly I can't find a logic. Try placing catering vehicles - you usually need to put them next to a brake open or brake composite or suchlike. No idea why!

I have another question: there was a way to make a brake+passenger vehicle carry mail in the past; this reflects real life, where mail was carried in the guards' 'cage' of many vehicles, even down to DMUs (like the 104 or 110) which had space for parcels, mail, bicycles if there was room, etc.)

Merry.

jamespetts

Hmm - the name "BR Mk1 full brake" is not the name of any specific carriage, likewise "BR Mk2 full brake". Can you give the exact names? It will avoid confusion. Thank you!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

merry

will do when i next fire up ST - not tonight though. Snooze time! M.