News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

SMSC July 2012 Edition: Banner for G+

Started by vilvoh, July 02, 2012, 09:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

Here we go with a new edition of the Simutrans Monthly Screenshot Contest before the summer break. The June's topic is quite different from usual ones, it's a Banner for G+, have a look here. It's free topic, only thing that matters: it's looking good on the page and represents Simutrans.

Resolution in game is also important, I'd suggest some medium zoom level. Please keep your original screenshot as a backup so we have something to start to change dimensions on. Post-production, is not only allowed but also recommended, but should not be overdone. I need to do some gimp-work on it myself, thus placing it under a cc license allowing derivative work is also necessary.

Rules

• Only one picture per user
  • Picture max size: 960 px by 180 px
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • Topic: Banner for G+ (free topic)
  • You may use any pakset you want, but only one
  • Zoom is allowed.
  • Please indicate if it's from a real game or not.
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used.
  • You can upload the picture to an image hosting service like imgur, imageshack.us or photobucket and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends at 17th July. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)
Prize:

A mention at Simutrans Hall of Fame, compliments by the community and one post including your picture in the official blog.

Have fun!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

checksumdigit

Is the size 960x180 or 900x180? the link you provided shows a graphic with dimensions listed as 900x180 px.

prissi

Why only one pakset? Should it not represent simutrans as a whole?

Alex. Brose

Quote from: prissi on July 03, 2012, 08:17:50 AM
Why only one pakset? Should it not represent simutrans as a whole?
I agree with you, prissi. The best way would be a fading (hope, it's correct worded) banner. For each pakset one banner. I don't know much about G+, actually.

VS

Put three or four screenshots into the available space? Lol... Possible, but it won't show anything.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Screenshots could be combined artistically.

I think e.g. of a long stretch of railways tracks starting Pak 64 left, Pak 96 middle and Pak 128 right, blended to give a continuous plan.
Transition would be very tricky, but with some cunning it could be done...

An_dz

I would make the banner use the winner of each SMSC
So that would be another "reward": Your image in the banner of G+ page

prissi

I think one should also allow people to do a banner by themselves. Otherwise one could as well use the images from previous screen shot contests.

checksumdigit

I agree with VS.. I've already started playing with the 900x180 space and it is quite small, unless you zoom out.. but then it's hard to see the great graphics.

Monthly rotation seems like a great idea to keep it fresh, reward SMSC winners and show off all of the paksets.

Any word on dimensions 960 vs. 900 px width?

kierongreen

I echo the comments about the area being challenging when trying to compose a screenshot. My attempt so far, although it's not exactly a standard simutrans version ;p

Edit: uploaded new version.

pak128.Britain, not from a real game, illustrates both different water heights and double height slopes, along with rail, road, water and air transport.

VS

Erm. I hate to keep crashing the party, but... Did anyone take a look at the explanatory graphic linked in 1st post? If you can't see it, I'll put a screenshot somewhere for you. It is important. Do look at that or you'll be really disappointed. While the image dimesions are in pixels this big, the effectively usable area is less than two thirds, since the right is covered by main profile "photo".

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

checksumdigit

Here is my take at the G+ banner.

Pak96c, city assembled specifically for contest. This is at 900X160, but I can add the extra 60px if 960 is the correct size.

VS, I did see that it will be covered up partially.

sdog

Sorry, for not having seen this topic earlier, afterall i've initiated it.

@Prissi,
why only one pakset? It's still basically a screenshot. It is not particularily large and part of it is covered. In my experience simple and minimalistic images work the best in this. My plan is however to change the screenshot from time to time. Also, clicking it will bring one to the  galery, where all other screenshots can be seen too.

@checksumdigit
google plus cuts of a little from the edge of the width of the image, it ought to be 960 wide, but please don't put anything important to those edges, as they get cliped lateron. Only when looking at the full image, in the galery this is completely visible.

helifino

Instead of a single banner, you can set a series of square thumbnails instead, if desired.  The first four show in the mini-profile popups, five total on the profile page.  Just add them to album 'Scrapbook'.

sdog

that's what we've been doing so far. However it's considered old-fashioned to do so now ;-)
besides the large image can look much better too.

Isaac_Clarke

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Enkort

Sagami-Kaneko

pak128.japan,
real game place on the bank of Sakawa river includes JR Gotemba line and its Sagami-Kaneko station,
but tram, boat and buses are added specifically for contest.

vilvoh

The nomination period has ended... time to vote!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...