News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

New Optare Buses

Started by Mattw62, July 12, 2012, 09:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

The alignments are fine - thank you for doing these! I have now put them in my Github repository. They do look good. The translation texts, incidentally, ought to be:

OptareTempoSR
Optare Tempo SR
OptareSolo
Optare Solo

Edit: Incidentally, I notice in some places that you have put comments in the .dat files suggesting that the weight and overcrowded capacity is not quite accurate, and implying that this might be the case for other 'buses. These figures for many 'buses has been guessed - do you think that you could double check the accuracy of these figures? If the weight is out of line with contemporary vehicles, then there may be a number that have the wrong weights. Any investigation as to this would be most worthwhile. Thank you for your help!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mattw62

Yes, UK buses can be split into two categories - lightweight and heavyweight. A good explanation for this can be found on the Enviro 300 wikipedia page:
"Many full-size (12m or more) single-decker buses are primarily designed for use on the continent and to carry a large number of standing passengers which is commonplace on the continent, but the Enviro300 is designed solely for the UK market where large numbers of standing passengers are not often carried. TransBus therefore believed that operators could make significant fuel savings by operating light-weight buses and produced a vehicle which is claimed to be lighter than its continental rivals but offer more seating capacity"

Basically many new buses (such as the tempo) are designed to be light in order to save fuel, but do not need as much power as the heavier buses as they will not typically be carrying large standing loads. However when they do, they can become quite sluggish and this is where the heavier buses perform best.

It can be hard to distinguish between the two types at times but lightweights are usually found in rural/suburban [/size]environments and heavyweights in city traffic (such as London).

Mistakes in the pak that I have found so far are that the Citaro's are heavyweights, so the weight of the pink single decker should be 19t not 9t, and the london bendy bus should be 29t not 9t.
In addition, the power should be 270bhp not 250 for both vehicles - obviously the gears will have to be altered to make the vehicle usable!

Edit: The tonnage for the bendy citaro can also be applied to the wright streetcar - which should also only have one door on the front section! :)

Thanks,
Matt

kierongreen

Power in simutrans is in kW not bhp no?

jamespetts

I see - I have amended the weights of the Citaro G and K (I have set the weights of the individual sections to 13 and 14t respectively, as 29 / 2 = 13.5, and we cannot have fractions of weight). I have done the same for the Wright Streetcar.

As to the standing/seating capacity, however, this website suggests that the seating/standing capacity of the Optare Tempo SR is 46/26 respectively.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Mattw62

Yes, the brochure alongside also gives conflicting information of 47/28 (pg6)! I cannot remember what part of the website I got my original information from - although it was definitely official!  :-[ I think optare are as confused as we are!

jamespetts

Is the difference related to whether or not a wheelchair is accommodated, perchance?

ӔO

I believe 47/28 capacity would be for a 12.6m length option.

46/26 might be for the 12m length
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Ahh, I see - what length was intended to be depicted?

Mattw62

Possibly, however a large wheelchair takes can take up as much room for about 3 or 4 standing passengers!

The version that I drew is the 12m trent barton version. If you take a look at this picture - I estimate only 42 seats (including the ones in the wheelchair/buggy areas).  ??? The interior picture in the SR brochure is actually of the old tempo - optare have only produced only one other SR bus in a different style - and that is the demonstrator. In pictures currently on flickr the interior has dark high-backed seats.

ӔO

There are probably different seating packages available too.
They must have ordered one with less seating and more standing capacity, or they refurbished some older seats they tore off a scrapped bus after ordering a bus with no seats.

For that type of tube-frame bus, the length options are limited. However, like all tubed structures, the seating arrangement is highly customizable. It's pretty common to have seating customized to specific conditions where the vehicle will service.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm - shall we say 42/28 for the version in Simutrans?

Mattw62

The Hood

Matt,

Thanks so much for these new buses - great to have some new content! Sorry it's taken me a while to respond - I've been away from the forum for a while and only just had chance to look at them. I've now added them to standard SVN. Thanks again!