News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

"Faster Output with Designated Cargo" factory type

Started by colonyan, July 13, 2012, 03:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

I noticed Simutrans have no type of factory which would output more cargo if special designated cargo is delivered.

For an example, a milk cow ranch and corn farm.
A ranch would produce milk by its own. 30t a month.
Meanwhile they could demand certain amount of corn if a corn farm exists on map.
If ranch is fully satisfied with its corn demand, they would produce 60t a month.

Other cases could be
all agricultural producers, some mines with supplies, extra fuel for certain large energy consuming industries and any others possibly imaginalble.

Passenger, mail and electricity can be designated to alter production capacity of an producer but not another cargo.
Does anyone sees its viability?

Fabio

1) Supplies could be divided into 2 categories: needed and desired.
Production stops without a needed supply, but only slows if no desired supplies are delivered.
Certain complex chains could be simplified this way, making some inputs only desired.

2) I would also like alternative supplies.
E.g. a cannery could use either meat or fish. The connection is built using existing suppliers or building a random new one (also according to existing climates).

colonyan

"2) I would also like alternative supplies.
E.g. a cannery could use either meat or fish. The connection is built using existing suppliers or building a random new one (also according to existing climates)."

This sounds interesting too but how the game will handle demand of its consumer? Will they ask for both?

Fabio

Both are cooled goods (at least in Pak128), you can fix 1 unit of meat = 1 unit of fish, as long as they belong to the same category of goods.
e.g.
InputGood[0]=meat,fish
InputCapacity[0]=400
InputGood[1]=steel
InputCapacity[0]=100

would require 100 units of steel and 400 units of either meat or fish.
The game would set up connections for 400 units of supply, choosing randomly* among fisheries and cattle/sheep farms.

* This random factor would be altered if e.g. there is no water on the map (hence no fisheries) or a climate restriction prevents farms and so on.

Vladki

I second the idea of increasing procuction of milk and meat by supplying corn or grain. Similarly grain and corn farms could use fertilizer to improve production.

I have similar ideas about alternative supply goods, that came from thoughts on recycling chain. In RL many industries that consume raw materials, can also consume scrap material instead. Most notable are glass mills. Glass mill either consumes sand or glass shatters (coal needed for heating). If such an option is available, then it could be used for whole recycling chain: general waste separated in special factory producing glass shatters, iron scrap, old paper, etc and delivering them to glass, steel and paper mills thus reducing the demand for sand, iron ore and wood.