News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

New Way Graphics

Started by kierongreen, July 14, 2012, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierongreen

Yes as in closer together. Viewing this on my mobile so image is not that clear but am sure it will be fine :)

The Hood

Here we go then - now to do snow and half heights...

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

And here's the updated snow version:

kierongreen

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

I've added some lower speed narrow gauge tracks:

wlindley

Are the early narrow-gauge station graphics correct?  I would think the low-end wooden passenger platforms would be more appropriate than the top-end brick-platform-with-overroof for n.g.  And do we need another bridge?  How about the end-of-choose signal as well.

jamespetts

A splendid and useful addition!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

greenling

The Hood
the new way are very cool. :thumbsup:
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

The Hood

Quote from: wlindley on February 10, 2013, 11:26:01 PM
Are the early narrow-gauge station graphics correct?  I would think the low-end wooden passenger platforms would be more appropriate than the top-end brick-platform-with-overroof for n.g.  And do we need another bridge?  How about the end-of-choose signal as well.
We could do with some narrow gauge wooden platforms. Would be great if you could modify them. I'm hoping to knock up some bridges later - they should be quite easy as I have all the parts from the standard bridges and it's a case of inserting the narrow gauge track graphics. I will need to redo the wooden trestle ironically - getting an elevated way version consistent with it and with good snow images. That's the one that will take the most time!

jamespetts

I'm not sure that wooden narrow gauge platforms have much historical precedent. Have a look at these 19th century photographs of Tan-Y-Bwlch on the Ffestiniog Railway in North Wales:

Click here for image - embedding not permitted

They did not have platforms as such, but a sort of gravel area where passengers could alight. The modern stations have platforms after a fashion, made of concrete or some similar paving material, but these are only raised a few centimetres above the ground:

If we are basing our narrow gauge on Ffestiniog practice, as we are for the vehicles, then it would seem sensible to follow with the platforms, which are very different to standard gauge platforms: indeed, one might say that they are hardly platforms at all, but walkways, as they are not significantly above ground level. There is much to be said for simulating this aspect of things, as the current narrow gauge vehicles look wrong with high platforms next to them.

The Hood

Fair point about wood v gravel. However your second point seems to suggest you haven't seen the narrow gauge platforms I made soon after you did the narrow gauge vehicles - they are reduced height rather similar to the last picture above...

jamespetts

Ahh, you are right - I had missed them! Now added to the Experimental version. Thank you for reminding me.

greenling

Thany you for the New Railways for Narrow gauge.

The Hood

There's a narrow gauge choose signal in the next SVN update.

greenling

The HoodThat it super that you make a choosesignal for the narrowgauge.

The Hood

Finally, after much faff with blender and texturing, new canal graphics - joint effort with jamespetts...

For those of you not following the thread in the experimental section there are now 5 types of canal representing different widths/depths and capacities. Obviously standard doesn't enforce restrictions on this so they will be mainly cosmetic differences.

jamespetts

Splendid! Excellent work in getting them into the game.

Markohs

I'd personally paint a bit more blue in the smaller channels on the left one. They look great!

wlindley

Indeed, a gradation from light to dark blue would suggest increasing depth.  Very much looking forward to these!

greenling

The Hood
The photo looks very good out.Good work.

The Hood

This should finish the way overhaul - additional bridges for canals and the narrowboat tunnel:

jamespetts

kierongreen

With double heights now in trunk I've been working getting bridges updated to fit in properly with the new code. Unfortunately this requires quite a bit of new graphics - half heights for starts, ramps, straights and pillars. I've done the brick viaduct - dat, png and blends are in the zip below but the number of bridges in the pak seems to have exploded lately so I'm not sure how long it'd take me to get through them all. So if the graphics pixies fancy tackling this task please go ahead :)

Brick Viaduct half height sources:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/half-height-brick-viaduct.zip

The Hood

Sadly I don't think there are any graphics pixies - there would be much quicker progress on pak128.Britain if there were. In fact many of the bridges have fairly similar ramps so it shouldn't be as bad a task as it first looks. In any case I'm busy rebalancing for now...

jamespetts

Ahh, would that there were graphics pixies.

kierongreen

Right, here's 5 more bridges updated to half height - IronArchRailBridge, IronBowstringGirderRailBridge, IronLatticeGirderRailBridge, IronViaduct and PlateGirder. With bridge viaduct above that means 6 out of 20 bridges updated...

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-250613.zip

The Hood

Thanks - without wanting to be too pessimistic though there are the road, narrow gauge and water bridges...

kierongreen

Oh I know.... Also important to note is that these *aren't* compatible with current trunk, you'll have to wait till the more bridge images patch gets added.

greenling

Hello Kierongreen
The bridge in the zip looks very good out.

kierongreen

Update: I've now converted more bridges - full list is: IronTrestle, IronBowstringGirderRailBridge, SteelTruss, IronArchRailBridge, IronLatticeGirderRailBridge, SteelBowstring, PlateGirder, BrickViaduct, ConcreteViaduct, PlateGirderConcrete, ConcreteViaduct200, ConcreteViaduct225, ConcreteViaductHS and ConcreteViaductNarrow. That's now 13/20 rail bridges, 1/5 narrow gauge bridges, 0/9 canal bridges and 0/11 road bridges converted.

The TGV rail track also hadn't had the dat file properly updated to double heights (well, at least when I last checked out from the repository) so I've included that too.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-300613.zip

kierongreen

Update: More bridges - added to above: WoodenTrestleStonePillar, WoodenTrestle, WoodTrestleRoad, ConcreteViaductRoad, ConcreteSteelTrussRoad, ConcreteBeamRoad and ConcreteSteelCantileverRoad. That's now 15/20 rail bridges, 1/5 narrow gauge bridges, 0/9 canal bridges and 5/11 road bridges converted.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/hh-bridges-030713.zip

The road bridges involved a lot of squinting - I've also updated those to use the standard tessellating snow overlay so hopefully appearance should be improved somewhat.

The Hood

Thanks for your perseverance with this!

jamespetts

Your post on the 25th of June has a broken attachment; otherwise - what The Hood said!