News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Aerospatiale / BAC Concorde - (Airplanes)

Started by Milko, August 07, 2012, 10:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milko

Hello

This is the Concorde.
The fastest commercial airliner in the world. The last delivery was at 10/1980, to give the possibility to use it even after I put a version of "second hand" that costs a little less and that does not expire.
Please note, the image is 192px.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Very interesting! I'm not sure about the second hand solution, not least because I plan to implement actual buying/selling of second-hand vehicles in the version after next of Experimental; but perhaps we could just push back the retirement date a little? Lovely work.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Milko

Hello James

Building the concorde  you get two planes, one with dates lined up to the actual production of the aircraft, plus a second aircraft sold from the end of the previous model. This solution can be used temporarily until the introduction of the next experimental version. With the arrival of the new experimental version will be sufficient to clear the "second hand" from the dat file.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Thank you for the explanation. I think that it's probably easier for players to understand, however, if I just lengthen the retirement date somewhat, as I do with other vehicles with no immediate replacements, to simulate the fact that people might want to buy them later than their actual production end dates (which were generally driven by market demand in any event). It would be anomalous, I think, to simulate a second-hand Concorde by having a separate vehicle definition for it, whilst dealing with all other vehicles using the former method.

Incidentally, do you mind me asking what your next aircraft plans are? There would be much to be said for filling in the 1930s-1960s era with things like the DC-3, Viking, Viscount and Vanguard types.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Milko

Hello James

In the particular case of Concorde I chose this solution for the particular aircraft. Now do not exist and will exist in future aircraft that will replace it. The Concorde was the only supersonic commercial aircraft. That's why I made this choice, but if you prefer to post-date the date of withdrawal is the same for me.

My plans were these.
Initially I wanted to make available the ATR 42/72 version 500 so as to provide turboprop aircraft with no expiration date. With this introduction I would consider almost finished the recent phase of the aircraft.
Then I go to heal the gap of the past.
Some models that I'd like to achieve: Boeing 707, LC1011 Tristar, Lockheed Constellation, Boeing 737, De Havilland Comet (the unlucky first commercial jet aircraft in history), Vanguard / Viscount ....
Since you've reported some models I start from them.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Giuseppe,

ahh, those plans seem sensible indeed - later ATR 42/72 series aircraft would be useful indeed! Your other planned aircraft also seem to be rather splendid - as ever, I shall look forward to them.

One thing that we should be careful not to forget, however, are latter day small propeller aircraft for very short haul flights to/from islands.

Milko

Hello James

Quote from: jamespetts on August 07, 2012, 02:01:40 PM
One thing that we should be careful not to forget, however, are latter day small propeller aircraft for very short haul flights to/from islands.

I thought that the ATR were smaller to make and I had not thought to smaller planes.

James, you have a small plane to point out to me?

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Hmm - is the ATR-42 used on very small islands? I was thinking more along the lines of something like the De Haviland Heron (1950) or the Handly Page or BAE Jetstream (1967 and 1980 respectively).

Here is an example of a small island airline that uses both the ATR-42 and the BAE Jetstream (suggesting that the former is used for larger islands and the latter for smaller islands).

kierongreen

Also Twinotter if it is not in already might be handy (they used to be used on routes along the Outer Hebridies including the beach airport on Barra).

Milko

Hello

Perfect, thanks for reporting, I now have a clearer idea as to move in the future.

Giuseppe

The Hood