News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Game slower when upgrading from 111.2 to 111.3 (r5583 -> r5774)

Started by yorkeiser, August 08, 2012, 11:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yorkeiser

I noticed that opening the same .sve with r5774, the game is really slower than when playing it with r5583.
I state that save game is really huge and has MANY vehicles (~7000), but in speed mode frame rate felt from 10x to 4x.
I use standard windows versions with sdl (however also win native version is equally slower) and pak128 2.1.0, on a win7 machine.
Did someone notice the same problem?

Dwachs

Would it be possible to upload that savegame for testing?

Did you test with latest release (113.3.1, r5843) ?

I cannot think of any change in between those versions, that would have such an impact on performance.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Ters

Maybe the later build was built without optimization, or with profiling.

prissi

I made once a GDI built using MSVC release mode, as this is sometimes fast. However, this does not apply to my system. The differences between release and debug builds were rather small (max 30% increase using fast forward).

Other than that, the SDL version should not be much different in speed.

Ters

It's possible to build an optimized debug build. I use this. What switches MSVC use for it's release and debug configurations, I do not know.

yorkeiser

Dwachs, here is the .sve (I tried to use files.simutrans-germany.com, but for some reasons when the upload ends nothing is shown on the server...)
http://yorke.altervista.org/Simutrans/r5583.100citiesMaglevs.sve

You need pak128 maglev extension from SNFOS in order to test it; once done this, you can open the game with r5583, r5774 and last 111.3.1: in fast mode, r5583 runs faster at least twice than versions>=5774.
I also tried to open savegame with r5774, save within that version, close and reopen, but it's still slow.
I thought the problem could be caused by new network plotting that was released from r5774, but the behaviour is the same when minimap panel is closed, so I don't think it can be related to this new feature.

Dwachs

I profiled your savegame, and it showed no anormal behavior. Most time is spend for routing of goods and running of vehicles. You also have a very large number of factories on this map.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.