News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Permissions and other translation issues

Started by Zeno, August 13, 2012, 09:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

I want to ask for permission to modify and/or manage ca-Catalan language. As there is no Catalan community I think this is the right place to ask for it; by the way, I have already those permissions for Spanish, which is the other language that co-exist in my region. Thank you in advance.

The next question, which I can give in advance is, what can I do with those texts which lack master translation? In case I can do something, of course... Is it a pak dependant issue or a global one? Thank you in advance (again!).

Dwachs

You should be able to modify Catalan translations.

I am not sure, whether I understood you second question. In case of base texts, if the master translation is empty, then the string itself is its master translation.

I have no experience in translating paksets, but imho master translation (the English one) is a pakset issue.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

Generally, do not look too much at the master translation, especially for buildings and stuff. Within the translation rules ( http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=763.0 ) rather work creative.

ALso some of the english error message were really short and not very decriptive.

Zeno

Thank you Dwachs for the permissions, I'm now able to translate Catalan too :)

Thank you both for your suggestions. It seems I can translate objects that do not have master translation too, so I'll start translating a bit.
Anyway, I've seen sometimes the button "suggestion --> translation" decides to ignore me; I might have been inactive for a few minutes though, and probably I got logged out automatically, so I will double-check that before any complain.

prissi

This button does not work. Better just copy the suggestion into the translation field.

Or if you are an admin: Search for all languages(!) in a pakset for entries with suggestions. Then mark the ones which should go from suggestions to translations and click promote to translation. Only this worked reliably for me.

(If you cannot do this, I do this anyway for pak64, and base, if I found identical suggestions and translations.)

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on August 13, 2012, 01:08:42 PM
Not this button does not work. Better just copy the suggestion into the translation field.
Ah... I see, thanks for your advice.

Zeno

One more question: I've completed 100% to both Catalan and Spanish translations in the "program_text" category, but the very first button of the main toolbar (options, with the diskette icon) still displays the text "Einstellungsfenster". Am I missing something?? Maybe that specific text is on another place (all other buttons are in that catebory) for some reason... Thanks in advance.

Dwachs

Quote from: Zeno on August 15, 2012, 04:18:21 PM
One more question: I've completed 100% to both Catalan and Spanish translations in the "program_text" category, but the very first button of the main toolbar (options, with the diskette icon) still displays the text "Einstellungsfenster". Am I missing something?? Maybe that specific text is on another place (all other buttons are in that catebory) for some reason... Thanks in advance.
Here is this string:
http://simutrans-germany.com/translator/script/edit.php?obj_id=30208&version=0&obj_type=program_text&lang=en#es
Spanish and Catalan is available ???

Zeno

Strange. Here is the content of my ca.tab file, which seems to be right:
Einstellungen aendern
Canvia opcions

Maybe the program is ignoring this string?
Well, I will try a clean install 111.3.1 before further tests...

Frank

Quote from: prissi on August 13, 2012, 01:08:42 PM
Or if you are an admin: Search for all languages(!) in a pakset for entries with suggestions. Then mark the ones which should go from suggestions to translations and click promote to translation. Only this worked reliably for me.

this works for all translators

It can then be processed only allowed languages

should be at least as

prissi

Zeno

The string is missing in the file I downloaded directly from translator, but was in the official download file 111.3.1.

Quote from: Dwachs on August 15, 2012, 06:11:04 PM
Here is this string:
http://simutrans-germany.com/translator/script/edit.php?obj_id=30208&version=0&obj_type=program_text&lang=en#es
Spanish and Catalan is available ???
I'm sorry Dwachs that string is not the one that I am missing. The one in german is this one:
Einstellungsfenster
Opcions del joc

I think it is not any more in the translator (I can't find it...). It was before for sure, because I've looked in the 111.3.1 text file and I found it, but not in translator or the file that I can download from there.

Edit:
What I've found out is that the text file in the official release contains a string with code name "Einstellungsfenster", and the simutranslator web application doesn't find that string, I only get the one that Dwachs said above when I use the search tool. This is confirmed by the fact that the "Einstellungsfenster" string isn't in the exported text file (also not present if I export to screen or whatever).

Zeno

I can confirm that newest simutranslator downloaded file is missing the following string:
Einstellungsfenster
Opcions del joc

I've added it manually to the downloaded file and it is correctly translated in game. The problem is that string was before into the translator, so I don't know why it isn't any more. Any ideas?

Edit: Let me clarify I'm talking about spanish & catalan translation, and the group I'm exporting is program_text.

prissi

Do you use an obsolete version? The string "Einstellungsfenster" is not contained in the program code at all. The one with options is

optionen_gui_t::optionen_gui_t(karte_t *welt) :
    gui_frame_t( translator::translate("Einstellungen aendern"))
{

as written before "Einstellungen aendern".

Zeno

I used 111.3.1, the latest release. If I remember correctly the translated file does include "Einstellungen aendern" string, but it must be another button or text in the program, because that one only got translated when I manually added "Einstellungsfenster" to the translation file.

I will double check it again this afternoon, and will indicate exact versions for program and pakset (although the pakset shouldn't matter, should it?).

Ters

My en.tab dated 2 July, but used with a quite recent build, has both "Einstellungen aendern" and "Einstellungsfenster" right after eachother. They're clearly meant for different things, as the former contains a colon and a newline. However the latter is used for the toolbar tool tip, which looks rather odd, probably because my en.tab is outdated.

Dwachs

Ters

Quote from: Dwachs on August 17, 2012, 03:06:51 PM
https://github.com/aburch/simutrans/commit/fbfd14bebba566c377b8d5be8fa3f21c2c12d99d

Is that before or after the latest stable? If the translator stays up to date with the nightlies, there is a slight problem that it might be impossible for a player of stables to get updated translations that work properly. However downloading from the translator might be like downloading a nightly, or even straight from VCS, so combining it with a stable executable will create a bastard (can't come up with a better word at the moment).

prissi

Strings once entered into translator usually persist. Thus older version can still get newer translations.

Zeno

Oh, thank you very much Dwachs. That explains everything: the commit is later than the standard version. 111.3.1 is 31st july, while this changes is on fourth august.

The missunderstanding is in the nightly page, which provides wrong version numbers, and lead me to think they were much earlier and I didn't check out dates. It's true there have been a lot of days without nightly compilations, but the latest one is exactly the same day of that commit, so they match perfectly. Just tested with last nightly and it works perfect with "Einstellungen aendern" string.

Thank you everybody for your help. Issue solved :)

Ters

Quote from: prissi on August 17, 2012, 03:44:37 PM
Strings once entered into translator usually persist.

Not Einstellungsfenster apparently. It was there one-and-a-half month ago, but is gone now. Perhaps someone has cleaned up too thoroughly, in which case other old translations may also be gone.