News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

What to do with old computer hardware?

Started by ӔO, August 21, 2012, 02:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

I mean, aside from the obvious, which is donating it to a local PC for everyone type place.

hardware in question is a Pentium D, 512MB tower. space heater for winter?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

Quote from: ӔO on August 21, 2012, 02:40:10 AM
space heater for winter?

Reminds me of the first Pentium level computer I had as a child. My dad had to drill a series of holes in it to keep it cool enough. It's still ready to be powered up for the purpose of playing DOS games, but hasn't been used for years. Most likely because other stuff is positioned in front of it.

Other than that, I've used an old computer as an intranet server. Parts have also been scavenged from time to time, like an extra optical drive, or an extra network adapter for an experiment using old computers as thin clients. My last attempts at scavanging failed when the components were to tied into the design of the casing.

Along with some friends, I've also used an old computer that was cut in half, as a decorative gimmick at a trade fair like entrepreneur competition at school.

sdog

the cost of the electrical energy soon exceeds the price of any equivalent new computer doing the same with 1/50 of the energy.

VS

It's really sad, but inevitable - that thing is useless :-(

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Lmallet

I would donate it soon, Pentium D's are +/-7 years old and many charities won't accept anything older than 10.