News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Does anyone else name their locomotives?

Started by Julia, August 30, 2012, 08:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia

After a couple of successful games without timeline, which ended up with everything electrified and running with almost identical trains for efficiency's sake (choosing simply the units that could haul as many people per month as possible to meet demand), I started one back in 1900 with a timeline. Not nearly so easy to become profitable and a lot more of a challenge! Anyway, by 1905 I was building GWR 'Saints' for my fast passenger trains, and just felt like I had to give them all individual numbers and historically accurate names, starting with the most evocative... am I the only one that does this?

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2900_Class

Ters

I could have, but the names in Simutrans appear to me to be for the entire train, not just the locomotive, even though the name starts out as the type name of the first added vehicle. I do however name my ships.

dave62

When I played with smaller maps than I do now I used to give all my trains names like 'Pride of The Thames', or name them after famous people who came from one of the towns that the trains ran between.  I gave up doing that as I seemed to spend more time thinking up names than I did playing and just had trains running around named after old Hibs footballers, Fall albums or Edinburgh pubs.  When my maps became much larger and had a corresponding larger amount of rolling stock I gave up naming them altogether. Perhaps I should go back and name at least some of the older or more important ones as it did add a bit of colour to the game.

kierongreen

Not done it myself. It sounds like a fun idea but as has been said - would be very time consuming on large maps.

ӔO

I never name any of the vehicles.

I'd quickly run out of time and names if I did.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

prissi

Since SImutrans supports copy&paste under windows, renaming could just come from a long list of names.

An_dz

I set their names with the same name of the line they are using.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on August 30, 2012, 07:49:36 PM
I set their names with the same name of the line they are using.

I do that too, with the addition of a unique number within the line. Only for trains, though. A few times, I have split a line in two without renaming or renumbering the trains if the new line names are variations of the original.

AP

It would be clever if Pak.GB could have GWR County class automatically name themselves from a list of counties... ditto Schools, Castles, Citys etc.

An_dz

Quote from: Ters on August 31, 2012, 03:38:31 PM
I do that too, with the addition of a unique number within the line. Only for trains, though.
I keep the default internal ID that comes with the vehicle.

kierongreen

QuoteIt would be clever if Pak.GB could have GWR County class automatically name themselves from a list of counties... ditto Schools, Castles, Citys etc.
This had crossed my mind already - consider it considered!

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on September 01, 2012, 01:01:50 AM
I keep the default internal ID that comes with the vehicle.

I've been unable not to, but I don't see that as part of the name. It's more like an inventory number to me.

mip

I name my trains like the line they are serving. Still didn't found out how I can disable the automatic numbers in front of the name after save/load of game.

Roads

I didn't realize you can rename your trains - learn something new everyday. :)

I always rename my cities though.  It began just to help me remember which city is which but discovered I like naming them.