News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

early vehicle profitability

Started by Roads, September 22, 2012, 07:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roads

A couple of things in my game now I'm going to change for myself but I'm thinking people new to the game, like I was the first time I played, may get discouraged by some of the early vehicles and just stop playing.

The Praga bus which I had posted sometime ago as not being profitable when fully loaded in both directions seems to have been changed a little. It is now barely profitable if fully loaded in both directions.  It would take years to recover the cost of the vehicle much less the expense of a 30 km/h road and two bus stops.

The Willamette_Chief passenger ship is unprofitable even if fully loaded in both directions.  I figured if I lowered the running cost on it, I could make it profitable.  However, when I run makeobj on the files, I get this error: read_png:  Invalid Image Size.

It did create the .pak file but the game will not load it.

greenling

Roads
Who old it´s your makeobj that you have?
And how big it the Png file what you want be use?

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Roads

greenling,

My makeobj is working fine, there are no problems with the changes on the Praga bus.  The problem with the ship is the size is 2000x500.  The size of the Praga bus is 1024x 256.

I used PhotoFiltre and changed the image size of the ship to 1024x256 and the game will load the ship and it will run.  There is a slight problem.  Instead of traveling on the water, the ship runs on the shore about one square from the river.  Maybe I'll just use it that way and call it "my incredible walking ship." :)

Modify:  Actually I didn't state all the facts.  Apparently when PhotoFiltre shrunk the file, it proportionally shunk the images.  This is probably as it should be, I simply was not thinking about it right.  Anyway, the ship kinda looks like bugs body now.  Remember those walking things in that first early battle in Star Wars?  Maybe if I put some legs and a head on this ship, I could have new vehicle type!  :-X

greenling

roads
You have make a big misttake,you have not read the pakmak.tab they be stand by the Ships.
Better i you leaf the experiment on the Scoure of Pak128.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Roads

What the heck is pakmak.tab?

I'm pretty sure I don't have that file.

It does not matter if I make a mistake using the source files.  It will only affect my game and as it stands right now a lot of my game is based on shipping so this game is pretty much screwed anyway if I can't get this working.

greenling

Roads
In the pakmak.tab they you not be read have,stand that Ships must be compile with pak250 scale

Zeno

Roads, as greenling says, ships are not packed using a size of 128 but 250 instead (use "makeobj pak250 XXX XXX" and it should work whithout modifying the image file). And let me say that all vehicles are equally profitable. There is an additional detail though, that costs are based for all vehicles on it's appearing year, thus we can apply a general rule that would say "the latter in the game, the higher bonus is required, the less profitable becomes a vehicle".

That's the mechanism that Simutrans uses to make us players replace our vehicles with newer ones from time to time. I have to admit though that we don't have as many vehicles as we would like, so there may be some time gaps where the only vehicles available become less profitable, even generate loss.

Roads

Many thanks Zeno!

I had already come to the conclusion that the game forces upgrading of vehicles.  I'm not sure if I agree that is a good thing but regardless, it is what it is.

Still, I feel like I have found something that will allow me to play a game like I want to play it.  Hopefully I will not trouble you all too much and you can believe I will offer my support financially and any other way I can while I'm here.

Modify:  It is working wonderfully Zeno!  Thanks again!