News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

a.128.simutrans.entropy.me.uk

Started by Ashley, September 05, 2012, 11:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley

Currently running Simutrans stable 112.1 (r6212) with pak128 2.1.

This server is accessible over both IPv4 and IPv6.

The server will pause when no clients are connected.

Screenshot of the map:

Previous savegames can be found here, listed by the date when the server was shut down:

http://entropy.me.uk/simutrans/server/sim128a/archive/
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

ӔO

I think there are not enough cities in the game to allow several players to make a profitable pax/mail network and many of the industries have incomplete chains.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ashley

High praise indeed for Fifty's map designing capabilities...
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

ӔO

I think the map itself is quite good, but I just don't think there are enough cities for more than 4-6 players trying to play pax/mail. The factories were mostly taken up as well.

For me, I know I'm pretty bad at pak128, but there were only scraps left over to build upon. I've had to connect the cities myself too, since there were no roads to many of them.

I'm playing as Canuck service in one corner of the map, and I just can't rake in a profit.

Colour safe chart:

Fifty

Quote from: ӔO on September 06, 2012, 06:37:12 PM
I think the map itself is quite good, but I just don't think there are enough cities for more than 4-6 players trying to play pax/mail. The factories were mostly taken up as well.

It is almost impossible for more than 4-6 players to play pax on a 512x512 or equivalent  map, no matter the number of cities. Perhaps I could increase the size of some cities, though, all in all, there are just too many players for the moment. However, come back in a week or two and a more developed map will offer more opportunities. It is always a trade off between lots of opportunity in the short term and playability in the long term, and I usually choose the latter. If Timothy wants to run an A and B server, then perhaps one could be set up for longer term play, and the other for shorter term play: this would help to alleviate the crunch that occurs on long-term maps at the outset.

Quote from: ӔO on September 06, 2012, 06:14:13 PM
many of the industries have incomplete chains.

The industry chains are not broken/incomplete: I have intentionally added extra raw material producers to the map, so that new factories that are created will draw from these industries instead of just building a ring of raw material producers around themselves. This helps to cluster resources as in real life.

I did not build this map to be easy, it is supposed to be a challenge :) But, if there are changes that I ought to make to make netgaming more fun, I want to hear them!
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

ӔO

ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

One particular problem I saw were the lack of roads connecting the various cities. It's quite costly to setup those roads for a latecomer.

Colour safe chart:

Jaridan

i don't know why but right, now the whole pax & mail system died.

it's working again now though, for some strange reason, but it stopped creating passengers & mail.  i saw one of my working garbage dump line's die aswell, even though the incinerator wasn't overfilled and it had enough in stock to provide my trucks.  (maybe smething about transferring stuff died temporarly?)

Kevin Ar18

Quote from: Jaridan on September 10, 2012, 08:16:36 PM
i don't know why but right, now the whole pax & mail system died.

it's working again now though, for some strange reason, but it stopped creating passengers & mail.  i saw one of my working garbage dump line's die aswell, even though the incinerator wasn't overfilled and it had enough in stock to provide my trucks.  (maybe smething about transferring stuff died temporarly?)
If it's like you described, I've seen this bug before (but only after it happened while I was offline).  All the passenger & mail disappeared off the network (whether they actually disappeared or just no more tried go somewhere I don't know for sure).  Players had big losses.  I wonder if the developers know about this bug, because it has definitely happened before.

Dwachs

Quote from: Kevin Ar18 on September 10, 2012, 10:17:45 PM
If it's like you described, I've seen this bug before (but only after it happened while I was offline).  All the passenger & mail disappeared off the network (whether they actually disappeared or just no more tried go somewhere I don't know for sure).  Players had big losses.  I wonder if the developers know about this bug, because it has definitely happened before.
Do you happen to have a savegame of this situation? Ie right before and/or after this happens?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Jaridan

didn't think of saving it, sry :/.

maybe fifty has some.

prissi

Sound like the step is not running any more; are the train leaving still stations?

Jaridan

like i stated earlier after 2-30mins it started working again.

unless you set your trains/planes/etc. to wait for full load they were going to their designated areas.

Kevin Ar18

Quote from: Jaridan on September 11, 2012, 06:50:54 PM
like i stated earlier after 2-30mins it started working again.

unless you set your trains/planes/etc. to wait for full load they were going to their designated areas.
If I had to guess, everything works like it should, except the game does not generate any new passenger & mail at origin stations.  I don't know if it involved goods too.  Jaridan should know.

Kevin Ar18

Quote from: Kevin Ar18 on September 11, 2012, 09:41:36 PM
If I had to guess, everything works like it should, except the game does not generate any new passenger & mail at origin stations.  I didn't actually get to see it in progress or study it in detail (just know it happened on a past game too). I don't know if it involved goods;  Jaridan should know.

prissi

That means that the step in principle works.

The relvant code in is in simcity_t::step

// is it time for the next step?
   next_step += delta_t;

step_interval = (1 << 21U) / (buildings.get_count() * s.get_passenger_factor() + 1);
   if (step_interval < 1) {
      step_interval = 1;
   }
   // create passenger rate proportional to town size
   while(step_interval < next_step) {
      step_passagiere();
      step_count++;
      next_step -= step_interval;
   }

when somehow step_inetrvall is very large or delta_t is very small, it would not generate any passengers. But delta_t very small would also not initiate convoi calculating their route and would leave them waiting at red signals for long times, so this must be ruled out. step_intervall is calculated by the city in the lines above. This if it is 1<<21u (i.e. either buildings.count==0 or settings::passenger_factor==0) then it could indeed generate not passengers. Since settings::passenger_factor==0 affects all cities, it looks like the latter. However this should be saved with the game and not repair itself on loading or whatever.

Maybe it could be also something in connection with the locality_factor. This is updated every years. Maybe there is a setting with generate something that only gives local traffic for one year.

Jaridan

Fifty

I have no savegame, and it affected all goods, pax and mail. All convoys continued to follow set schedules and wait times. When you looked at the station details, you could see all of the lines serving that station, but the station couldn't "see" that there were any destinations: nothing was listed in the "direct routes from here" list. Opening and closing the line, but not the convoy, schedule dialogs seemed to make the station "see" the route again.

Has not happened again today.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

sdog

having loged into your server my client uses about 490288 kB, is that roughly the memory requirement for it?

As i understood, cpu doesn't really matter much, is that indeed so?

there are server offers for a 2 GB ram server for about $25 a month (that's just a glance, not a thorough search)

I should guess that capaity is not a major factor either, i wouldn't expect to use too much, do you have numbers there Timothy?

BTW, never thanked you enough for what you're doing here, running those servers for more than a year now!

Dwachs

Quote from: Fifty on September 12, 2012, 02:57:47 AM
I have no savegame, and it affected all goods, pax and mail. All convoys continued to follow set schedules and wait times. When you looked at the station details, you could see all of the lines serving that station, but the station couldn't "see" that there were any destinations: nothing was listed in the "direct routes from here" list. Opening and closing the line, but not the convoy, schedule dialogs seemed to make the station "see" the route again.
This suggests that recalculation routes for goods failed at some point. ??? The action on the line schedule should trigger a new computation, which then succeeds.

Ashley

This shows memory utilisation over the past day: http://entropy.me.uk/simutrans/server/cgi-bin/sim128a.sh

CPU is very spike-y, but rarely peaks too high. I should set up monitoring for that too really (as well as bandwidth when I figure out a way of tracking it for a specific process).

Ashley

Ok, I have to admit, this made me laugh a little...

greenling

Timothy
Dont remove that!here it Possible that a Player to plan a big Pojekt.
That it not more up to date!
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Jaridan

well it's kinda turning into a war atm :P

Vonjo

Wow! 8)

Dwachs

Quote from: Dwachs on September 12, 2012, 06:44:16 AM
This suggests that recalculation routes for goods failed at some point. ??? The action on the line schedule should trigger a new computation, which then succeeds.
Indeed, under certain circumstances routes were not recalculated after loading. This is fixed hopefully with r5925.

greenling

Timothy
i Have be look on the photo what vonjo be posted have.
Can you remove the green player he have destroy the network game!
He have be play master of war.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

paichtis

Dwachs : thanks !
greenling : it is all a joke, no real war :D

Oh btw this map is great ! Both large landmasses and boats can go almost anywhere !

moblet

...and I was just thinking to ask whether anyone had built a moat around a city yet...

Quote from: paichtis on September 15, 2012, 04:30:41 PM
Oh btw this map is great ! Both large landmasses and boats can go almost anywhere !
I'll second that  :thumbsup:

Jaridan

Ashley

It was the listing server which broke, try now.

asaphxiix

is the server open? possible to join?

Jaridan

all slots are taken atm, and there's a slight dc problem due to an added patch , which shouldn't be here yet.

best  bet is to wait till the map is restartet

Ashley

Server has been restarted with the latest binary.

Ashley

Ashley

Server upgraded to the new stable, with a new map.