News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

First attempt to contribute Graphics - Assistance welcome

Started by deadlyboring, September 12, 2012, 07:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadlyboring

Well Roads, it's really a nice story, but i did decide not to use it as a brothel. Since Simutrans is mixing buildings all the way through, it could happen that this one appears right next to the Schoolbuilding. You wouldn't want your kids to go to school right next to such an establishment, would you?;)

Currently i am working on new windows and other stuff to make it look more like a professionals building. Our Simutrans-world surely needs some lawyers;)

jamespetts

And some courthouse attractions for them to have somewhere to work, I'd say.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

deadlyboring

well, as you can see, i'm quite a bit far away from drawing attractions. too, there are some more modern buildings on my list, but a courthouse wouldn't be too bad to have. Maybe some of the more experienced drawers may want to start working on this?

For now, this is my current building. Please note that i forgot to change the windows on the short (non-entrance) side. This will be changed very soon.
Now my questions so far:
Do the frontwindows look right now, and what about the frontdoor?
I thought about coloring the corners white, do you think it would fit?

Roads

Yep, can't have a whorehouse next to a school house. :)

The building is looking good!  I think it is suitable for either an office building or a court house.  I like the front doors a lot!  Good idea on the double doors.  It needs the balcony as well, IMO, it keeps the windows from being monotonous...if all the same, I think they would be.  That said, the balcony needs to be wider still and the color not so dark - still needs a railing too!

I would change the white to a cream color so the contrast is not so sharp.   I don't think the corners need any change...

I like what you did with the roof.

When you are finished with it, I would like to have a copy of it for my pak128 if that is okay.  If not I understand.

kierongreen

Right, the building itself is fine, nice texturing (only small commend is there seems to be an outline around one of boxes on the roof) - the problem is how "British" it looks. To my eyes it looks far more like something you might see in Europe (or the States?). Having the roof with a v shaped dip in the middle might help, making it look like a converted Victorian warehouse. Really it's your building though and we shouldn't be dictating to you details (which could often be conflicting). I usually try to work from real world prototypes of British buildings myself.

Roads

oops!

I shouldn't even be posting here since I'm not playing pak128 ATM and even if I were, I would be pretty much clueless as to British architecture.  So, well, I don't have a horse in this race.  Sorry for the intrusion and hope you the best DB!

deadlyboring

well, since im an absolute beginner at 3d-things with almost no clue about architecture (oh, yes, a house needs walls and a roof, right?) i'm quite dependant on your help. to make things worse i'm living right in the middle of germany, and my last trip to UK has been in 2009. My only clue to british architecture is some google-maps footage. So after all, many thanks to all of you, helping me with that stuff.

@kierongreen:
you mean the roof should look like this (side view):
  __          __
/     \___/      \

or did you mean this kind of shape:
    /\
  /    \

@Roads:
All my "artwork" is released under artistic license and published on a public dropbox folder. Feel free to use any of the data! Would be nice if some credit was given, though

kierongreen

Db: i think it might look better with the first of your roof text diagrams. For your first buildings these are amazing :)

sdog

here are some photos showing roofs of buildings of similar type

manchester

sheffield

deadlyboring

Thanks for the help so far. I think it fits right now, so i'd call this a beta-version. If anything is totally inacceptable, please tell me;-)

IgorEliezer

The front door is too "square". It resembles a bit of these modern double glass-pane doors. I'd put an arch (not sure) over it or some kind of discrete decoration over or around the door frame.

deadlyboring

Well, i just decided that they look quite fine, i tried it with darker bricks around the door, and it didn't meet (at least my) the eye. Too, i decided to call it a medical center instead of a lawyers office -  The demand for doctors is much higher then the demand for lawyers;-)

After importing it into the game, i darkened the colours a bit, it's been quite bright.

The .png:

Ingame Screenshot:

After all, thanks for the help so far. Next step is doing winter images for both of the buildings, if you feel like the last one is looking fine.

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Roads

DB, your building is great!  I'm going to copy and put it in my game.  Of course I will put your name as creator...even though no one will ever see it except me.

Sorry for the post Kieron but thought DB had a right to know his work is appreciated outside of Britain.

kierongreen

Roads

Then I would like to make just one more post since I've gotten pretty interested in this building.  I'm thinking it would be great as the city hall for the alpine climate especially if DB adds snow.

Anyway, what do you think of the railing?  Sorry I'm just like a turtle - can't turn anything loose until it thunders.  If you hate it, no worries whatsoever.

Carl

Hey DB, on an unrelated note: you should consider making a thread in the screenshots board to show off your greater London map. I've been fascinated by the snippets you've posted around the forum so far (not least because I'm working on a similar UK project) and I'm sure others would be interested too! :-)

greenling

Roads
You want the last building from deadlyboring use as city hall?
that will than be look be funny out.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Roads

greenling

Funny?  Explain please.  It is a very substantial looking building.  Not only that but the color seems like it would suit the Evergreen trees and gray landscape - also the snow - of the alpine landscape.

deadlyboring

@Roads: I think your railing is a bit... massive? i did some railing, too, but it's nearly invisible. Guess mine was too small. i'll fix that when i'm doing the snow images for that building. By the way, could you get the pakfile and stuff from the dropbox account? Since i've never used that before, i'm not sure if its working fine...

@all the others:
I did some snow images for the 90's shops and offices building. the data in the dropbox has been updated, and here is some in-game picture of it. Hope you like it.

Roads

Actually DB, I didn't use dropbox.  I just right clicked on the image and did a "save as."  Since I'll be using it in pak128 I won't need the Britain .dat file.

I avoid using dropbox whenever possible, it is a little tricky...depending on how/where the file was put.  I like this

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/

much better.

Yep, the railing seems too massive.  It draws your eye right to it.  Maybe the color is too dark or it simply doesn't need to be there.  At any rate the building doesn't really need it.

Milko

Hello

WOW. I can not wait to see them included in pak.  :)

Giuseppe

deadlyboring

This one took some time since i've been quite busy with reality this week. But here it is, some Block of Flats located near Abbey Wood station. Following your suggestion i stuck to a real-world-building this time. As always, critics welcome.

jamespetts

I like these! One very small thing - it would be good if there was a little clutter in the back  yards.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

greenling

deadlyboring
The Buildings on the Photo looks very good out.
I can´t wait to test it.

kierongreen

How long are the rows of flats in real life? If they are long terraces it might be good if you could get the buildings to form a continuous row. Also it might be worth designing two varients of the images with different coloured garages and decoration. Looking good though :)

deadlyboring

@jamespetts: Are you okay on the dropbox-version for giving you the data? I'm working on backyard clutter.

@greenling: Thanks! Hopefully they will be online in my dropbox-folder tomorrow evening.

@kierongreen: Well, they aren't too long in reality, as you can see by the attached picture. But i'll definetly do some color-variations aswell as i thought about giving them another floor or two, so there will be some more variation.

Carl

These look great! My only criticism would be that the front doors seem a little too colourful; or at least that the colours seem a little strange for front doors.

deadlyboring

I've made up a new version with some stuff in the backyards, and a second version with different colors. Hope you like it. Sources and pakfiles as usual in dropbox.

greenling

kierongreen

That latest screenshot makes me think - are the squares below the flats garages? If so it might be an idea to double the size of them (and only have 4 under each block rather than 8 ).

I do like the way they fit in - in that screenshot you can imagine that the school served a neighbourhood of Victorian brick terraced houses which has been demolished and replaced with a load of concrete! :)

deadlyboring

Well, i placed the school where it is as an alternative for a modern school building. i took the screenshot from the thamesmead area of my personal greater london area.
On the other hand i personally think the 8 garages quite fit the buiding. It has 4 Doors on the first floor, indicating 4 appartments on each floor, of which the building has two. Summed up it makes 8 appartments which each have a garage of their own.

kierongreen

I actually liked the way the school didn't fit in with the houses around - this quite often happens in real life when one old building remains while all others around have been demolished :)

Quite often there isn't a garage for each flat in blocks like this, squeezing 8 under each block just doesn't fit in terms of scale (each one is barely bigger than a doorway).

deadlyboring

Your right kierongreen. I shall correct this during the weekend and offer an updated version...
Thanks for your assistance, it's quite important to have someone else look at my work.

kierongreen