News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

"Nationalization" of player infrastructure after bankruptcy

Started by Fabio, September 16, 2012, 06:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

IIRC, all infrastructure built by a bankrupt player are destroyed. Does that make sense? Not to me.
IMHO, if a player bankrupts, his infrastructure (ways and stations) should become public or unowned. All other players could thus exploit them, remove them or upgrade and then "purchase" them.
In real life, usually if a company which built infrastructure bankrupts its assets are auctioned or nationalized. In Simutrans this might be mimicked by making them public. It just doesn't seem logic to see them plainly removed.

EDIT: Discussion split as planned.

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Ters

I'm not sure about stations, but keeping the ways as not owned makes sense. I write "not owned" in case there is a possibility of a distinction between not owned and public, where public roads are unmodifiable by players.

prissi

Since not way tolls are implemented, leaving all way is meaningful again, since other player vehicles might be going on those.

Ashley

I can see this being used to cheat. Password two accounts, use one to build massive amounts of rail infrastructure very quickly, wait for that company to go bankrupt and then use the second account to run a (very profitable since you're paying no maintenance) service over the freshly "nationalised" infrastructure...

Then again, there are already a multitude of ways to cheat...
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Fifty

Quote from: Timothy on September 16, 2012, 09:38:26 PM
I can see this being used to cheat. Password two accounts, use one to build massive amounts of rail infrastructure very quickly, wait for that company to go bankrupt and then use the second account to run a (very profitable since you're paying no maintenance) service over the freshly "nationalised" infrastructure...

This is already a frequently-exploited cheat in netgames for building roads of any sort anywhere (especially large highways). In addition, people right now cheat this way to build tunnels. If you build a public station in a tunnel (of any sort) it will be made public in its entirety (not just where the station is, but the whole tunnel) upon a player's bankruptcy. I would suggest removing tunnels, even if they contain public stations, and making roads turn public instead of no owner. Sufficiently high Road tolls will discourage players from using public infrastructure, but no owner infrastructure is not tolled. Since, at least in Simutrans standard, public infrastructure can be removed by all, I strongly suggest that all bankrupt roads become public, somewhat eliminating the no-owner "cheat."

However, it is not a good idea to make no owner roads tolled too, because city roads should not be tolled.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Ters

If roads should stay, all roads should stay. If you're using another player's roads, having a part gone missing can be even harder to notice than the entire stretch. And tunnels are in the real world the most lasting remnants of an abandoned infrastructure. Cheats where one build infrastructure with one company that gets exploited to bankruptcy and use them for free with another should be prevented by other means, possibly ones involving human moderation.

greenling

Quotetimothy

Then again, there are already a multitude of ways to cheat...
For this problem must we find a Solution.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!