News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

What does everyone think about the current hotkeys used in game?

Started by ӔO, September 24, 2012, 07:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

To me, some of them make sense, like "m" for mini-map, but others don't seem to have any correlation to what they do. Then, in different languages, the key bindings may make no sense at all, because the language or keyboard layout is different again.

I was thinking of asking for an extension to have customizable hotkeys, but I also thought it would be nice to have a default set that would be easy to use for everyone. Basically, I don't have a solid idea to make a full proposal or if anyone even wants it to be reworked or not.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

prissi

The keys are configurable since 100.0. Just edit menuconf.tab ...

But some are rather given by convention, like control+c/control+v, or control+O and S for loading/saving. Other just developed over time.

Ters

I only remember those that don't map too buttons in the toolbar, like hide buildings, hide trees, and show reservations. Well, there's also the hotkey for sliced underground view, which wasn't on the toolbar originally, along with the associated higher/lower level keys, which still aren't.

For me, it's a bit cumbersome that many of these are modifier+something, while the unmodified keys are unused (by me), though clearly not cumbersome enough for me to edit menuconf.tab.

prissi

The keyboard help will show the correct key bindings anyway. But maybe it is a good time to ask people about their favorite key bindings.

ӔO

personally, I use these the most:
v - show/hide station coverage (no idea why it is v)
b - show path reservations (again, no idea)
" - show/hide buildings (again, no idea)
shift-L - load
shift-S - save
m - minimap
ctrl-c - copy
ctrl-v - paste
ctrl-u - sliced underground (and associated up/down levels)
shift-u - underground

The other ones, I have trouble remembering.

Colour safe chart:

TurfIt

My wish is for one set of 'standard' bindings. Different hotkeys for different paks is quite annoying, with switching between pak64 and pak128 seeming the worst...

Ters

If by "favorite" you mean "most used", mine are hide buildings and hide trees, with sliced underground a bit behind and show reservations as rare, but important.
If by "favorite" you mean the binding I like the most for ergonomic reasons, it's B, because it's among the shortest I know and use. I also like #, because the symbol just fits in a funny way, though I never use it.

I only use pak64, and can only comment on that.

EDIT:
I forgot V. That comes between the two hiders and underground view.

Combuijs

I only use Shift+U for going/leaving underground. Further I've customized my toolbars and I hardly use any keys at all.

Quoteb - show path reservations (again, no idea)

I think that comes from "blocks" when the block system was still in use, before a major overhaul by prissi.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

Carl

Quote from: ӔO on September 24, 2012, 08:24:31 PM
personally, I use these the most:
v - show/hide station coverage (no idea why it is v)
b - show path reservations (again, no idea)
" - show/hide buildings (again, no idea)
shift-L - load
shift-S - save
m - minimap
ctrl-c - copy
ctrl-v - paste
ctrl-u - sliced underground (and associated up/down levels)
shift-u - underground

The other ones, I have trouble remembering.
These are more or less all the ones I use, too -- as well as Shift-P for changing player, Shift-W for fastforward, and sometimes I for advanced settings. They make the game experience a whole lot better!

ӔO

shift-W is new to me.

I forgot about shift-P. I use that a lot as well.

Colour safe chart:

VS

Aside - once this project is complete, please do bug me wrt. pak128 hotkeys. Best results guaranteed if you submit complete fixed menuconf :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

whoami

Ah, here I will place my suggestion to define a common hotkey (for all paksets) for each of these functions:
- build a simple signal
- build a bus stop (repeat last type, excluding mail and freight - but that needs code support, I guess)
- build a train station tile (repeat last type)

I have some other ideas that may require changes to the program:
- in underground mode, have 's'/'t' select the last road/railway tunnel, respectively, instead of doing nothing
- hotkey to build a bridge (for the same type of transport as was last built/selected, using the last built/selected bridge type).
- hotkey for way remover (for the same type of transport as was last built/selected)

I use the keys a t e s r v b m " U p most often, then w W u ^u d f M + - ! % ^o ^s, and occasionally R z P g l c / , . # (in pak64 and pak64.german, which have essentially the same hotkeys).

jk271

Small suggestion/idea dealing with shotcuts. Having different shotcut for "save game" is confusing. I suggest to use Ctrl+s in all paksets as "ctrl+s" is being used for saving in computer programs generally.

IgorEliezer

Few suggestions:

t = open chat/command window
r = build rails
x = destroy