News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

city hall face lift

Started by Roads, September 25, 2012, 08:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roads

I would like to change the graphic for city hall in a couple of climates.  My guess is this is no big deal - that it would be similar to adding or changing the look of a house or industry.  I assume there is just a .dat and .png file.  If this is the case and anyone can point me where I can download it, I would appreciate it very much.

mEGa

Hi Roads,
What pak do you want ?

Edit :
I mean that link is for you ;-)
http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simutrans/
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Václav

To more faces of city halls in various climates: pak128 has two faces - for desert (and tropical) - and for other. I don't know that it has more than two. I think that at least one other could be prepared.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Roads

Thank you all very much!  Sorry I forgot to say it was for pak128.

I have a long range goal in mind if I can accomplish this one town hall change.  That is to have a different town hall for every climate.  After that I'll begin assigning an individual climate to each building, both residential and commercial.  I think Kieron and I have similar ideas about this.  From his posts it appears he wants everything in pak128 to look British.  I understand his desire completely because it relates to my own.  I want the cities in every climate to have an individual look.

greenling

Roads
Your idea it´s a very heavy idea. :o :o
But have you be planed to use a Timeline in Projekt?
Over the timeline can you chose the style of City hall.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

VS

Quote from: Roads on September 25, 2012, 02:58:49 PM
I want the cities in every climate to have an individual look.
Who doesn't? ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Roads

@greenling

No timeline.  Right now my plate seems infinitely large as I'm sure yours is and everyone else here is.  That is, everyone who does anything besides play and want.  I'm trying to extricate myself from the latter category.

@VS

Nice to know many of us share the same vision.

greenling

Roads
Do you Post Photo´s from your projekt then go work on it?
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Roads

greenling,

I'm just now getting my feet wet, not sure what I will do but will be happy to share anything anyone wants.  The alpine town hall I had in mind is a mod of the building DB was working on.  I'm not finished with it yet.  I've no idea how he would feel about me posting the mod I'm doing of it and would certainly want his okay first.

Anything that will be all my work will be no problem.

Fabio

Great idea, Roads, I was thinking of adding some town halls myself and to edit current ones to have 4 rotations and snow.
I'm moving this to Pak128 board.

Roads

Well Fabio, if you do it, it will be great!  I've seen your work. :)

I'm having lots of problems but learning a lot.  First thing I didn't consider with DB's building was that it is one 128x128 square.  I've played around with making it two squares and think I've succeeded at that.  I'm afraid even if it displays correctly though, it will be huge.  Since it is really DB's work and was originally intended for pak128 Britain, I'm thinking I should just buck up and create something from scratch and make it two squares to begin with.  Right now I'm thinking for alpine, an English (oops) Tudor style with the white background and dark timbers would be nice.  That is really a residential type in the U.S. but hey, wouldn't it look great as big building in the alpine climate?

Also, problem No. 2.  I can't find the file for the city hall in either my pak128 source or in the executable directory.  I did find a file called ext.buildings or something to that effect.  I'm thinking the city halls might be rolled up into one file with some such name?

greenling

Roads the scoure for the Cityhall out Pak 128 and pak128 britain lay here:
http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simutrans/pak128/special_buildings/
http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simutrans/pak128.Britain/townhall/
And the Cityhalls out pak 128 german are very presentable.
Edit: it gives somes cityhalls they have a Size from 2x1 or 1x2.

Roads

Thanks greenling!  I did have the source code for the town halls and feel really dumb about asking for it now.  I don't know how I missed that special buildings directory but I did.

Unfortunately, I still do not know where it is in the executable directory because in the pak128 directory there are no sub directories other than sound, text, etc.  All the graphic files I have are in the same directory and nothing looks like a town hall file.

greenling

Roads
I Try to make make photos from the Cityhall out pak128german.

Roads

greenling,

I like the look of pak128.german a lot and am sure I would want to incorporate the city halls into my game.  That said, I can't do it for the same reason I can't incorporate the graphic I've been working on in my game.  I don't know what the name of it should be to go into the pak128 directory.  I've looked at that directory numerous times and I see buildings, roads, vehicles, etc., but no city halls.  So I have no idea how they get into the actual game.

greenling

Roads
I make for you a Zipfile with the Cityhall out Pak128.german.
The town halls for download as zip files will be at the 29.9 at 20: 00.
Before I can do not do this.

Roads

Thanks greenling, I do not understand what 29.9 means but I think 20:00 is 8:00 PM.

Fabio

He might be speaking of size in MB.

Roads you should browse Pak 128 svn repository on sourceforge. It's linked in pakset section of the forum, as a child board of general resources. There you can see the structure of all existing objects.

Roads

Thanks Fabio, I'll check that out.  It sounds like just the info I've been looking for...

Modify:  No, that gives the source files.  I have those.  I have not tried to run makeobj against the city hall file yet but even if it gave me a valid output file, I have no idea where to put it since I don't see anything relating to city halls in the pak128 executable directory. 

VS

29.9 is tomorrow (you Americans write that as 9-29 or something?). I think I'm tuned into Greenling's brainwaves quite well ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Roads

obviously :)

Yes, we write the date as 09/29/2012 unless you are in the military, then you write 29/09/2012.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Which is why YYYY-MM-DD would be a nice standard :)

Roads

greenling

Sorry I was a bit in a hurry yesterday.
I had to a special department must prepare.
Quote from: greenling on September 28, 2012, 07:31:27 PM
Roads
I make for you a Zipfile with the Cityhall out Pak128.german.
The town halls for download as zip files will be at the 29.9 at 20: 00.
Before I can do not do this.
The first special service was from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 And now I have a break until 11:00:00. 
In order to then make a second special service from 11:00 a.m. to 16:00:00 to make.
Then I can talk with you again.

In Europa be write the date in 29.9.2012.
In the Usa be write the date in 09.29.2012.

So, now I search for roads the town halls from Pak128.german.
And at 20:00 o Clock cam than the Zip.
Thank you.

Roads

greenling,

Please do not go to a lot of trouble.  While I would like to see the files, at this point I do not think I can do anything with them except look.  To put them into my game I'm pretty sure they have to be rolled up into something, maybe a pakmak file but so far I've been unable to find any info on this.

greenling

Roads
In Pak128.german are some thing be write in german.
And get no trouble then i Post the Cityhall as Zip.
edit:I got a little problem the pak128.german want not more Starting.I must find out how the Problem lay.

VS

Roads

AHA!  I am one step closer to the elusive file I seek.

Thank you VS.

I have the .png file
Now I have the .dat file

Thinking I can run makeobj pak250 xxx xxx but don't know what the output file name should be or where to put it.

greenling

Roads
not pak250 you must chosse pak128 scale.
And on the Problem with Starting my Pak128.german work i.

VS

As to tile sizes - if a folder has README.txt, it will say whether tile size is different. Otherwise assume 128.

Roads

VS, the real problem for me right now is I simply cannot see the big picture.  I'm seeing pieces of a jig saw puzzle and a few fit together but there's a pile I have no idea what to do with.  Thanks for mentioning about the readme files.  I have been neglectful about reading those.