News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Menu & toolbar discussions

Started by VS, July 10, 2012, 08:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

For 100% info... Station extensions that specify waytype already go to respective menus. That is a very small group, though, only airports really use this. Most extensions are logically (as non-stations) independent on way and go to special tools menu. It certainly does make sense to split that.

I am very reluctant to expand the main menu, though. Viewport altering buttons such as rotation, underground, grid etc. easily get pushed off screen. I think Dirk might still remember some more precise numbers from earlier experiments?

Player colour for legs and beam, yes, I wondered myself if that was the plan :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: VS on July 10, 2012, 08:58:43 PM
I am very reluctant to expand the main menu, though. Viewport altering buttons such as rotation, underground, grid etc. easily get pushed off screen. I think Dirk might still remember some more precise numbers from earlier experiments?

Who? Me? Numbers? No, not really. It all depends on screen size and resolution. But a submenu, as suggested by martin, would prevent any problem in that area - although it would require people to open two menus to get to the extensions, rather than one - a design choice in my eyes. In my never-ending long-time project pakset, I already use submenus regularly. If you are interested, VS, I could send you the prototype so that you can have a look...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

greenling

DirrrtyDirk
submenus they are a good idea to make menu smaller.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

VS

Just so that we're all on the same page - what I think was suggested: A new main menu icon that opens a submenu with buildings.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

martin

What I suggested was a new submenu forked from Special tools menu.

Not that difficult to code in menuconf.tab (based on menuconf.tab from pak128.open.r849):

# specialtools
# Stations extension now as new toolbar[12]
toolbar[9][0]=toolbar[12],7,,Station Extensions,
# fences are usually special railways
toolbar[9][1]=ways(2,255)
toolbar[9][2]=general_tool[11]

# Station extensions
toolbar[12][0]=buildings(35,0)
# EOF

It only needs it own toolbar icon (I used the towercrane icon here) and a helpfile.txt file...  But this already works.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: martin on July 10, 2012, 08:33:43 PM
Maybe station extensions can get their own sub-menu from "special contruction tools" especially with more station-extensions in the making

@VS: Hmm... I understood it as a submenu from the spcial tools, not from main menu...

EDIT: Ooops too slow. But apparently I was right in my assumption.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

greenling

It be plan to make the submenus for Rail,Monorail,Tram,Road,Canal,Air and extensions?
And that for pak64,pak128 too?
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Fabio

Not to clutter the main toolbar, the one on main screen, I suggest some simple tool get their own menu. I was experimenting a few months ago a display menu, which grouped sliced view (adding also buttons to raise/lower level), underground mode, change player, show grid, rotation, hide trees and hide buildings. It would free 4 buttons on main menu, thus allowing some additional menus. Could you be interested?

VS

Maybe... a new topic would be better for menu discussions?

Fabio

Quote from: VS on July 12, 2012, 10:17:34 AM
Maybe... a new topic would be better for menu discussions?
Done! ;)

VS

Errrm,... does anyone know why is this pinned? If no, I'll just unpin this.

greenling

Vs
We need A rechange of Menüstrucktur.

tonu

Hi!
I suggest that when you click the sliced-map-view button, a window with the level-selection shows, actually you must open the main menu and then open the display options.