News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Winter is coming

Started by Fabio, September 29, 2012, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

Thank you Sarlock. This was a stupid mistake. I tis now corrected.

mEGa, i apologize for this.

mEGa

Many thanks to all four your good comments.
Quote from: Fabio on October 22, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
1) futuristic_tower_0 is overly ugly... your snow effect is ok, but it would actually need being scrapped and replace with a whole new futuristic tower. Maybe the old image, overhauled, could be recycled as an additional lighthouse built starting from 1960.
Quote from: sdog on October 22, 2012, 07:04:39 PM
You could keep futuristic tower and rename it, in translators, to "ugly rotating restaurant at a scenic spot". There's Skylon tower next to Niagara falls, that is similarily equally ugly. It might serve as a good starting point in case you want to update it to the new style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_Tower
eh eh ! I had same idea ! I wanted test your comments with it ! I'm totally agree with you. And I try to replicate this excellent model.
Quote from: Fabio on October 22, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
2) the triumph arch would be awesome if rotated... well, just if it's possible ;)
You think as me ! I'll create it (a beautiful fight  to invert light and shadow ;) )

@Fabio your last works is also great ! result is promising !
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

mEGa

Quote from: sdog on October 23, 2012, 01:11:53 AM
Thank you Sarlock. This was a stupid mistake. I tis now corrected.

mEGa, i apologize for this.
No problem ;) . thanks to you for comment on G+ and blog.

Combuijs

sdog: Very good of you to write something in the blog, but aren't you missing a title? Or is this a wordpress hickup?

Very funny cooperation, MHz and mEGa... Just waiting for Herz to make the other three rotations?  ;)

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Fabio

Now, 8 buildings for hot climates ;)

NEWOLD

Dwachs

Great work!

Imho, the winter version of RES_06_60 (the tall green-yellow building) is too colorful when compared to the other winter buildings in your screenshot. Maybe add some snow on the balconies? Or brighten the colors?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

Speechless, as always. -- VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

mEGa

Quote from: sdog on October 22, 2012, 07:04:39 PM
You could keep futuristic tower and rename it, in translators, to "ugly rotating restaurant at a scenic spot". There's Skylon tower next to Niagara falls, that is similarily equally ugly. It might serve as a good starting point in case you want to update it to the new style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_Tower
As I previous posted, a first adaptation of skylon tower (suggested). I drew sketch with Inkscape and I don't still editing with Gimp (for textures and details)
If you're agree, I shall draw South and East faces + summer/winter season.
Is Scale right ?
project :

old

EDIT : now new version of triumph Arch (south and East) :
New :

Old :

greenling

Quote from: Sarlock on October 22, 2012, 11:58:14 PM
Greenling, to what do you refer with the upload limit for the pak?  I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me of the inner workings of pak128 can help figure it out.

Sarlock
Wernieman has 3 weeks before over a upload problems from the nightlypakset in the german simutrans forum be talk.
That the not more all nightlypakset not more cam on one day.
Then we give all building snow look,than be grow the paksetsize on the bigness from pak128.britain.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

sdog

The screenshots above just made me see it for the first time: no snow textures for water.

VS

Water above snow line = ice?

I think I can hear Kieron screaming something about variable climates in the distance :D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

kierongreen

The main reason for not having frozen water is that there's no mechanism for preventing ships travelling through it, so it would look a bit strange...

IgorEliezer

^ What if the max. speed were set to zero?

Say: if season is winter and the tile has winter graphics, set max.speed to zero and the ship wouldn't be able to sail through.

Of course, I'm meaning source code change.

Sarlock

It would make ships unusable in any area that iced over in the winter... and therefore the player would just defer to other transportation to start with and would probably never use ships in these areas.

Sure look cool though :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Fabio

It would be a start having frozen shores, though.

Fabio

Hot climates buildings have mostly a flat roof, but don't you feel this one belongs to hot places? ;)
NEWOLD

Quote from: Dwachs on October 23, 2012, 11:28:38 AM
Imho, the winter version of RES_06_60 (the tall green-yellow building) is too colorful when compared to the other winter buildings in your screenshot. Maybe add some snow on the balconies? Or brighten the colors?
I made it less colorful in winter (Raven's style ;)). Also the newer res_07_11, 15, 20, and 23 were too bright in winter. res_08_09, 15, 19, and 20, instead, were way too dark compared to the other white buildings.
Check it out on the previews above (updated) and in this screenshot:

mEGa

Quote from: Fabio on October 24, 2012, 01:04:48 PM
I made it less colorful in winter (Raven's style ;) ). Also the newer res_07_11, 15, 20, and 23 were too bright in winter. res_08_09, 15, 19, and 20, instead, were way too dark compared to the other white buildings.
I raised the same problem for monuments. I tried to desaturate walls without success. So I just desaturated trees and vegetation.
For your buildings in winter, may be, walls are too white (and not so bright...). Perhaps you can try to apply a layer with grey value ?

So the creation of Skylon tower continues : You can see first version :

New Old

Thoughts ?

Sarlock

That looks pretty good, mEGa!  Tough picture to draw, round is difficult... and the long mono-colour sides of the tower are challenging.

The thin white band on the snow picture just below the actual snow at the top probably needs a bit of anti-aliasing so that it isn't so pixelated.

A bit of texture variation on the tall white sides would probably help, too.

Things on the ground at the base would help draw the eye away from the long sides towards the bottom.

Fabio

Here's the release of this fourth part:

:down: winter-res-04-121024.zip

It contains:
- the last 14 buildings;
- RES_02_16 and RES_11_19, updated with Sarlock's Douglas Fir and restricted to Rocky and Tundra climates;
- RES_06_53 simply restricted to temperate, rocky and tundra
- 24 XCF sources for Gimp

As I don't have commit rights to the SVN, I ask please to VS (or Zeno) to download them and commit this set.

Thank you!

Lmallet

Quote from: mEGa on October 24, 2012, 02:08:18 PM
Thoughts ?
One of the elevators should be halfway up the tower, it would give it the impression of movement.

OT: I have gone up the Skylon tower three times, but using the stairs (660 steps).

VS

greenling

That´s building are very Cool. 8)
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Fabio on October 24, 2012, 06:14:27 AM
It would be a start having frozen shores, though.
Well, I was thinking of rivers only. I don't think if frozen ocean shores would be a good idea, because you might want to build a harbor or canal starting from a freeze-prone tile... and you are stuck. It'd be okay if only some portions go frozen, but it would depend on a per-region climate system to avoid all shores from freezing. :)

mEGa

Quote from: Lmallet on October 24, 2012, 04:45:51 PM
One of the elevators should be halfway up the tower, it would give it the impression of movement.

OT: I have gone up the Skylon tower three times, but using the stairs (660 steps).

Well your idea is nice. I'll makt it. Thank you.
Waouh ! 660 steps, you're a sportman ! ;)

@VS : thank you very much :D
Quote from: IgorEliezer on October 25, 2012, 12:00:50 AM
Well, I was thinking of rivers only. :)
Yes, but if rivers have an important flow, they will not freeze. Only lakes could be represented, may be. But it does not exist in the game as river or channel elements.

VS

And we have a subthread :P Having seasons disrupt traffic sounds dangerously close to disasters, and we all know how that goes. How about, only unnavigable rivers freeze? That's already possible with winter graphics, so win/win.

Fabio

And the already have winter graphics ;)

Now unavigable rivers have frozen banks, should they freeze completely?

Fabio

A new building completed... well, many buildings! ;)

NEWOLD

VS

If you asked me what I think, I would say Fabio secretly wants pak28 to break the 1GB-pakset barrier :D

Actually, this isn't a joke. I propose a soft limit of 4 (four) variations, in ideal case sharing the bottom part so that some memory is saved. While all the new buildings are great and in most cases superb in quality to their predecessors, quality ≠ quantity.

Sarlock

Wow, that's a lot of new buildings!  With all of the rotations added for so many buildings that have the snow option added, the amount of extra variety in cities will be _HUGE_!  A 10x10 city would hardly have any repeat buildings with the same rotation.

Is there a hard limit with regard to # of tiles or # of MB of picture data in the game itself?  Or is it just memory dependent?

mEGa

Quote from: VS on October 25, 2012, 12:16:34 PM
If you asked me what I think, I would say Fabio secretly wants pak28 to break the 1GB-pakset barrier :D
It's a working...monster... Of painting stuff ! Excellent.

So my modester work (I slowly paint...) : Skylon tower for replacement of old futuristic_tower_0 :

I applied Sarlock's comments (about texture and ground effect) and LMallet's comments too (moved elevators)

and source in joined file

Another replacement made : little justice office (joined file 2)

Fabio

One more building (without variants this time ;)). I like this one a lot!

NEWOLD

Roads

mEGa, I would never have put or kept the old tower in a game - I didn't like it.  Yours is simply beautiful!  The elevator on the side is a nice touch. :)

VS

Great! The tower is absolutely incomparable to original, and the house too :)

Guys... I know I am getting rather pedantic these days, but looking at the "justice hall" (?), I think another rotation is not needed, as this is 99.9% symmetrical :P

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on October 25, 2012, 09:13:06 AM
And we have a subthread :P Having seasons disrupt traffic sounds dangerously close to disasters, and we all know how that goes. How about, only unnavigable rivers freeze?
Yep, that's the best way to go. Specially considering the most players wouldn't be aware that rivers could freeze up and it would lead their barques and boats to get stuck with no notice.

Quote from: VS on October 25, 2012, 12:16:34 PM
pak28? I doubt it would hit 10MB barrier. ;)

Fabio

This building is quite different from the original, but I feel we needed such kind of building...

NEW