News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Winter is coming

Started by Fabio, September 29, 2012, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mEGa

Thanks a lot
Quote from: Fabio on October 29, 2012, 05:47:12 PM
I would like so much to see this market in full 4 rotations... It's just a hint, not a binding request ;)
Me too, but if I decide to create, I believe that  I would change the main building because it will be easier to make a new, rather than to modify it for 4 rotations.

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Fabio

Quote from: mEGa on October 30, 2012, 11:02:21 AM
I would change the main building because it will be easier to make a new, rather than to modify it for 4 rotations.
Sure! I'm doing it many times, as I find much faster and easier to paint from the scratch. I just try to keep consistent with the style of the buildning I'm replacing.

mEGa

We dreamed it ? I made it ;-)
I'm happy to present last proposition of market_place.
- 4 rotations.
- Summer/winter views
- Christmas light in Winter night ;-)
- graffiti coming from our last discussions.

New Old

This special buildings will include in my next submission.

grampybear

Well Done!! This is wonderful addition. Have you given any thought to making this an end user?
Perhaps an open air market ( Farmers market ) selling fruit, vegetables and maybe wine and cheese borrowed from the french forum. Just an idea. Would create a whole new chain.

VS

I'd like to note that while the new version is great, adding elements like electric lights and graffiti means it is only for >19xx.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

While I live the new market in the whole, I would like it better without graffiti.
Winter lights could also be candles, so that it can remain an old, traditional marketplace introduced in 14xx (as it is now). Being this old, it's mostly built near the townhall, where I like to see it. Maybe a slightly modernized version could be available more recently, and it will be built more peripherically.

mEGa

Your posts arrived before my response ;)
OK, I agree with Fabio. Finally graffiti addition brings not some improvement. So I'm going to erase it.
Quote from: grampybear on November 01, 2012, 03:57:46 PM
Perhaps an open air market ( Farmers market ) selling fruit, vegetables and maybe wine and cheese borrowed from the french forum. Just an idea. Would create a whole new chain.
This attraction is just modified accordling with snow and winter aspect. Of course we can add it in new chain of good like french addon named 'french_covered_market', but it is not same idea of this project.
So 1 question : Do you want to move this building out of special building and create new industry ?

Fabio

Quote from: mEGa on November 01, 2012, 05:47:58 PM
So 1 question : Do you want to move this building out of special building and create new industry ?
No, IMHO. I like it as an attraction built near the town hall. From here you can't see their merchandise, maybe it's just a flea market with no chain ;)

sdog

The large fractura A on the building stands for an Apothecracy (Pharmacy) in germany. I'm not sure if it provides anything to it, perhaps it could got as the graffiti?

I'm still in awe how you could just conjure the rotations out of nothing!

Sarlock

Very nice job!  I agree about removing the graffiti... though I certainly recognize it :)
I'd say no to making it an industry... keep it as an atraction.

Adding a new chain of urban food delivery might be interesting, though...
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

greenling

mega
you have with the market make very good work! 8) :o
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

mEGa

Thanks for your nice comments.
Quote from: sdog on November 01, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
The large fractura A on the building stands for an Apothecracy (Pharmacy) in germany. I'm not sure if it provides anything to it, perhaps it could got as the graffiti?
Good comment. I didn't know. I liked idea of neon sign.
Quote from: sdog on November 01, 2012, 06:07:58 PM
I'm still in awe how you could just conjure the rotations out of nothing!
Me too. At each time I hesitate, and after "time in the bath" as french people says, the work is made.  But I admit to transpire a lot. Painting in 2D is attempting the impossible:o
Quote from: Sarlock on November 01, 2012, 07:37:47 PM
Adding a new chain of urban food delivery might be interesting, though...
Sarlock do you know french addon named "french covered market chain" made by Gwalch and me ?
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/doku.php?id=en:industries

So definitely, I shall erase graffiti. But I ask me about "A" neon sign because finally it's a recent material... And market_place begin to appear since 1800... What do we make about it ?
May be we ask us too much question, don't we ?

greenling

mega
your photo bring me on idea.
The cheese,the fruits,the vegetables,the meat,the fish, can bring to a supermarket.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Sarlock

I'm reluctant to add any more commodities to the game, but half of those in that chain are already in the game so it's not too bad.  I'd like to mostly stick to items that we already have and just add more end users and alternatives for those products.

The commodities could be adjusted to bread (bakery, which doesn't have a product right now, it's just a consumer), meat, milk, beer, canned food, food, fish... so many choices of commodities already in the game.  Adding fruit and vegetables might make for nice farm variety, however!  I'll download those factories and try them out, thanks for the link.

sdog

i'd love to see that chain in the pak, instead of just being an addon. The number of different commodities is not so much what counts, but the number of different freight types. This uses only freight types already in the game: goods and cooled goods.

Fabio

All the time I favored high level buildings, as I find them much more interesting.
I suddenly realized that low level buildings (level 1 to 10) need love, too.
They are as important and distinctive for a city as the level 60 ones, as the two ends are the one most noticeable by players, respectively in the outskirts or rural areas and downtown.

Hence I decided to work a bit on Patrick's modular row houses.
I'm adding them rotations (how silly when their doors don't match the road!) and restricting them to colder climates (and extending their timeline, as I removed antennas ans the such).
As I don't want to reduce the housing choice, I created replacement (with same levels and details) for hot climates as well.

EDIT: Images removed, cold climates follow; hot climates discussion here

almaf

VS

Vegetations and detail loss detected!

Easy to repair, though :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Honestly I don't know whether to add vegetation or not, for climates issues.
This concern goes for most buildings, I would like a discussion about it.

What other details would you like to see? Antennas look nice, but restrict the timeline to 1950+ age. Flower beds could be added. I would tend to exclude fences for these row houses.
I'm open to suggestions. :D

VS

Since gimp sources are available, it's not a long-term problem...

mEGa

Quote from: VS on November 05, 2012, 02:25:15 PM
Since gimp sources are available, it's not a long-term problem...
Of course.
Quote from: Fabio on November 05, 2012, 02:19:01 PM
What other details would you like to see? Antennas look nice, but restrict the timeline to 1950+ age. Flower beds could be added. I would tend to exclude fences for these row houses.
I'm open to suggestions. :D
I'm agree with fabio about too typical of periods of time. But I believe that it is necessary to create a little more some vegetation.

Sarlock

I agree, it would be nice to add a little bit to the yards for these houses... the houses are quite small so there is a lot of empty tile that comes along with these.

Once I have some other tree selections available you could use those for the temperate-rocky varieties (and eventually the warmer trees, but that won't be for another month or two until I get to those).  You can use the younger trees which are smaller.

The desert houses certainly could use some love.  I'd actually prefer a white-washed wall and red tile roof, personally.

Fabio

Ok, a couple of trees, some flower beds and some hedges added. Also roofs of 2 colors, now (grey slates and red shingles).

NEWOLD

For me these are ok now. I'll release them shortly.

greenling

Fabio
The Building looks very good out. 8)
Winter in Simutrans it very nice there must i no way from snow cleaning. 8)

Fabio

Here's the release of the sixth part:

:down: winter-res-06-121105.zip

It contains the latest buildings (2 MHz's houses, Raven's modernist houses, and the 10 cold climates row houses; desert houses are postponed instead) published since last release and their sources.

As I don't have commit rights to the SVN, I ask please to VS (or Zeno) to download them and commit this set.

Thank you!

New RES_01_02 is dedicated to Roads: can you spot the dog? In summer he stays in the garden, but in winter he seeks shelter under the porch!

Quote from: Sarlock on November 05, 2012, 05:44:55 PM
2) We want building choices to be available across several climate zones.  No sense eating up memory and pak space for a building that is only good for 1 climate zone.  Ideally, I'd like to see a single division between A)tropical/desert/med or B)temperate+ for the vast majority of buildings.  Many can apply to more or all climate zones, but I think 2-3 should be a minimum in general.
Definitely my plan as well! After 80-90% of buildings are made this way, we could think of some to differentiate desert vs tropic vs med and tundra vs rocky vs temperate (there are already 2, at least). But now the priority is the bulk of the buildings, so 2 climates ("warm" and "cold") are the way to go.

VS

mEGa

I come back with question about elementary_school_0 created by Patrick. I think that roof is not now really fine. So I decide to apply slate roof.
In joined file you can see improved version with original roof (some shadows are added) and slate roof version (sketch)
What are your thoughts about it ?

Note : I paint now slowly and I late because i'm very busy at this moment. But I continue to create winter effect for special buildings.

Zeno

That new roof looks out good...
Great job mEGa! :)

sdog

Zeno speaken now german?

i rather like the metal roof, some improvements like eaves, more visible seams (where sheets meet), and stains would be better. Too many slate roofs and it look like pak britain out.

Nice brick texture by the way. I think that's exactly what Sarlock meant in another thread.

Fabio

Here's a new batch:

NEWOLD

I believe the level of details and vegetation is ok and it can be their definitive version.

sdog

o_O  do you ever sleep?

When you continue at this pace by christmas you'll be done and some devs code spring and autumn versions. All the work just to troll you :-P

looks brilliant!

greenling

Fabio
You those buliding look very good out.
8) 8)

Fabio

The latest batch is now committed in rev. 1021

VS

Fabio

Yes, it's nice wielding this great power! ;D
Quote With great power, comes great responsibility

I also made 2 bugfix commits (1022 & 1023).

I want to remind everybody involved in the Winter project than if we add rotations, we must update (or add, if it's missing) also
dims=1,1,x
where x is the number of rotations. This caused several new rotations not to show up.