News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Winter is coming

Started by Fabio, September 29, 2012, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

I'm all for preserving the spirit :)

Aren't these white window frames too bright on the shadow side?

Also, Sarlock might have a word or two about these trees later, so don't lose the sources ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Sarlock

Winter trees would obviously look better without leaves :)

And therein lies the challenge we face with creating a winter tree set but with all of the trees in our parks/buildings non-seasonal except for snow images.  There be some inconsistency there, but we'll have to live with it.  We don't have seasonal buildings and probably wouldn't want them as that's a lot of extra drawing.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Fabio

In most buildings I put bare trees in winter. Here I thought to put bushes instead of trees, assuming they will keep their leaves, just turning them brownish, just as my Jasmine plant does on the balcony ;)
Many ornamental plants and bushes don't lose their leaves... Does it look that bad? ;)

Sarlock

Try taking that big tree off the roof, it might just be a bit big and looks out of place with the snow?

Fabio

I put a smaller bush on the roof and darkened the eastern windows in all the 3 buildings.

Please, check if it's better now, I updated the preview above.

mEGa

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Sarlock

Much better :)  Well done!

Fabio

Thanks!

Now another 3 buildings:

NEWOLD

Sarlock

Excellent!
The first building looks better suited to a commercial purpose.  It's more like a 9 story office complex than an apartment building.  Maybe change the ground floor to shop/store windows?

Very glad that you've made those changes to those buildings... the primary colours were a bit bright compared to the rest of the pak.

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

JP18

mEGa

Quote from: Sarlock on October 10, 2012, 04:01:52 PM
Excellent!
The first building looks better suited to a commercial purpose.  It's more like a 9 story office complex than an apartment building.  Maybe change the ground floor to shop/store windows?

I'm agree with Sarlock. It's more like an office building.

Fabio

Quote from: Sarlock on October 10, 2012, 04:01:52 PM
Excellent!
The first building looks better suited to a commercial purpose.  It's more like a 9 story office complex than an apartment building.
Quote from: mEGa on October 11, 2012, 09:02:08 AM
I'm agree with Sarlock. It's more like an office building.

I changed it again to look more residential:

from to

(I updated the preview above as well).

mEGa

Sarlock

Wow, that looks nice.  Great work!

Fabio

Another revamped building:

NEWOLD

greenling

Nice very Nice those Building with snow.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Sarlock

Excellent!  Thanks for fixing the story height on that one, it fits in much nicer now.

mEGa

Just one (minor) thing, may be.
Just to add some snow on the balustrade of balconies (Are they many balconies, aren't ?)

Sarlock

That's a tricky building to do a snow version of.  The steep roof would likely hold little to no snow as most would just fall off on to the poor people below (ouch!).  You'd likely only find a bit of snow on the balcony railing, some in the flat sections on the roof and some on the ground.
I wonder if putting a small awning over the front door would look good.  It might break up that bare patch of wall above the door nicely.

Fabio

Tower updated, see above. I added a kind of entrance/awning and changed the snow.

New buildings:

NEWOLD

After I have some feedback on these as well, I'll post the sources for all buildings since latest release.

Roads

Very admirable!  I played with snow for a few minutes last night and found it to be challenging to say the least.  It gave me a whole new respect what you've accomplished.

I'm sorry but I need to say one thing - the snow on the pools I'm not crazy about.  Actually it is the edges.  They look too dark.  Of course it might look different in game.  I've noticed things don't display exactly the same here as there.  Anyway, maybe the dark could be lighter with a blue cast?  Just throwing something out here...

Fabio

Thank you! The dark pattern is a pool winter cover, usually in dark color. The snow is in the center, where it's sagging slightly. I might give it a different hue, maybe more grayish, in order for it to be more obvious.

Sarlock

Very impressive!  I'm amazed at how fast you can do this, wow!
I agree about the pool cover, add some grey to it and it should look good.
Your final modification to the previous tower looks excellent.  I love the archway over the front door.  Snow looks great on it.

mEGa

Quote from: Sarlock on October 13, 2012, 05:18:01 PM
Very impressive!  I'm amazed at how fast you can do this, wow!
+1

Fabio

The pool covers have beein desaturated and coverd in a thin layer of fresh snow: see above ;)

I forgot one building ;)

NEWOLD

Fabio

Here's the release of this second part:

:down: winter-res-01-121006.zip

As I don't have commit rights to the SVN, I ask please to VS (or Zeno) to download them and commit them for me.

Thank you!

Zeno

Sure, I can check it out this afternoon when I'm back home, if VS doesn't before :)

Roads

QuoteThe pool covers have been desaturated and covered in a thin layer of fresh snow

Yes Fabio, they have!  Very good! :)

Sarlock

Very nice!  The revised pool covers look great.
I love how you chose to make the center of the new tower beige, it contrasts wonderfully with the green exterior.  Nice work!

greenling

Fabio
Your projekt are cool. 8)

mEGa

As Fabio initiated project, I try to help to enhanced special buildings with snow.

See an example with abbey :

Do you think I can continue helping ?

Fabio

That's fantastic, mEGa! Thank you so much for joining me in this task.

The wintery Abbey looks great.

Fortunately most attractions look good enough, so winter should be enough. Feel free to enhance those details or texture you might find worth.

mEGa

Quote from: Fabio on October 17, 2012, 02:33:51 PM
Thank you so much for joining me in this task.
Thanks to  you ;) I'm happy to participate !
Quote from: Fabio on October 17, 2012, 02:33:51 PM
Fortunately most attractions look good enough, so winter should be enough. Feel free to enhance those details or texture you might find worth.
OK, I also create East view  (as you created with residential building) when it is possible without losing too much time.

So I 'm going to continue when I shall would have any free time.

Fabio

Quote from: mEGa on October 17, 2012, 02:50:00 PM
I also create East view  (as you created with residential building) when it is possible without losing too much time.

This is the spirit!

More views (rotations) are nice and look better, but I prefer to get the job done faster and maybe to come back later after the pakset has been already improved.