News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Simutrans Fried Chicken (SFC)

Started by Sarlock, October 11, 2012, 07:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarlock

After days and days of working with trees, I wanted to do something else for a few hours, so I tried my hand at a building tonight.  So here is SFC, Simutrans Fried Chicken, a fast food restaurant coming to a city block near you.

I'd love some feedback and tips/pointers.  I've learned a lot of things working with the trees and I've applied much of what I've learned to this building.  I think I might model this same building in 3D in blender and see what it comes out with in comparison.  So far my blender trees haven't impressed me.  You can see my "best" attempt in the picture below.

I was thinking that a big sign on the roof with SFC on it might work.  I might also make it less of a box and break up the back roof line by making the building an "L" shape instead.  I'd like to create a set of one-story commercial outlets, fast food joints, etc.

Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Fabio

It's lovely.

A big sign on the roof would be great, maybe inspired to the Colonel ;) (I'm picturing Isaac as the Colonel, hahahahaha)

The pavement in front of the corner entrance should be pavement-style, IMO.

Being a new building, I expect it to have 4 rotations.

mEGa

Excellent !
Could not we add in food chain ?
For example we already have a farm of chickens which supplies with some meat...
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Roads

Sarlock the chicken place looks good!  You might try making it rectangular with a drive way around it but it is real good the way it is.

mEGa, I think the chicken idea is great!  I almost always have a chicken farm because of the fertilizer (bulk, you know), and it would be good to have somewhere to carry the chicken instead of a food factory or the little plant that requires steel.

Markohs

Sarlock

mEGa, Roads: Great idea, I think I'll do that.  Having another urban end user for goods would be nice.  I enjoy hauling in to the middle of cities, it adds to the challenge, fun and realism.  VS's new road freight station will be useful.
If I make it for that, I might increase it to a 2x1 size and add a bit of parking and a drive-thru.

Fabio: I'll change the pavement in front of the door, good suggestion.  And I will definitely give it 4 rotations and a snow version once I finalize the front shot.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  Next step is to put it in to blender and render it there and compare.  blender will make rotations much easier to do.

greenling

Sarlock
Nice building.
We Need more smaller factorys.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Obviously not an American place - no drive through! ;-)

But seriously - looks great :)

VS

Isaac as the colonel... now that would be an insider joke :D

The pavement is a small detail, but very important. It's what makes the city look seamless. If the reasoning is that it's a step from other material, you should try making the height a bit more noticeable :)

Quote from: Fabio on October 11, 2012, 08:44:02 AM
Being a new building, I expect it to have 4 rotations.
Someone's picky :D But yes, this would be nice. It's possible to cheat that requirement a bit, if you make the building symmetrical (thus needing only 2 rotations). 3D helps a lot in this aspect, as you can just render all 4 views and be done with it.

Re drive-through: In America, put a cow catcher on Hummer and it's instantly drive-through for low level buildings. I've seen that in American movies, must be true ;D (Also - in Soviet Russia, restaurant drives through you?)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Sarlock

This one's for you, Colonel, king of the Simutrans Fried Chicken empire:

It's not done yet, but I had such a good chuckle that I had to share it at this halfway stage.  If you don't like your portrait, let me know... but it's so blurry you can barely make it out on the sign anyhow :)

Putting the words on the bucket on the roof was interesting as I had to learn UV mapping.  It's one of the many blender adventures that has made me lose some of my brain cells...

:)

Sarlock

Mostly finished SFC outlet.  I need to do a bit of post-blender editing in GIMP to clean up the edges a bit, it's a bit "fuzzy" but I will only do that once I am happy with the final design.  I want to see if I can get the letters "SFC" to be clear on the bucket on the roof.

Some final editing and I'll work on a parking lot beside it and make it into a factory for end-user chicken consumption.  VS's road freight depot will be useful for this type of urban delivery.

Markohs

aaahahahahahaah nice job!!! XD

What's with the X-theater on the west? :)

mEGa

Very good joke and nice work.
I improved colonel's face in the file (been enhanced contrast and sharpness with Gimp).
What do you mean about it ?

Note :
don't forget the night light. What part of SFC logo you wish enlighten ?
We can also create a light line along walls.

Roads

It is extraordinary!  Sarlock if you and mEGa worked together on this, y'all make a helluva team!

My little Simus are already lining up to buy chicken! :)

Sarlock

Thank you, mEGa, that looks great!  I'll cut that out and keep that so that I can paste it back when I re-render the image.

I hadn't thought about the night lights much yet until I had finished the building, but I was going to do the windows and the logo, depending on whether the available color selections work (our choices are limited!).  A light line along the walls would look nice as well!

I am just working on the back side of the building right now, adding a couple of doors, garbage bin, etc, and then will create the parking lot and complete the 1x2 factory.

The vents and AC units on the roof need a bit more definition, they came out a bit blurry in the render.  I might just use the ones I made from the original SFC building that I hand-drew.

Fabio

greenling

(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

ROFL

Oh, man... that's... that's great. That is HILARIOUS.

Sarlock

I've done a bunch of work on the back of the building.  I discovered that I get a crisper image (but less anti-aliased) in blender if I do a 1280x1280 image and then zoom it out and then take a screenshot of the result rather than render at 128x128.  Take a look:

Image using zoom and screenshot:

Image using 128x128 render:

What do you think?

Lmallet

The arrow by the window, that would be for a British drive-"through"?

PS:  I like the colonel!

Sarlock

Haha, yes, you saw that... I was going to put the drive-thru on the other side but I liked it more on that side... so right handed drivers are going to have to lean way over to get their bucket of fried chicken from the colonel...

greenling

Sarlock

Thanks for the mention, sdog :)

Alright, I think I'm pretty close to the final version for the first SFC building (1x2 factory, actually).  I'm pretty happy with the 3D render, so I did some post-render pixel work to come up with a near finished product.

I wasn't sure which way to go with the pavement, I went with a dark asphalt and also the res/com sidewalk texture.

Is it preferable to use the standard texture?

Also, I chose to use the more "pixelated" version of the render rather than the smoothed anti-aliased version.  I think it fits a bit better into pak128 when the lines are a bit more defined rather than everything all smoothed (or even washed) out.

Input wanted!  Then I can make the final few changes, make the 4 rotations and snow versions and make this a final release.

VS

For the parking area, I would choose asphalt similar to that of city roads - not so BLACK IN YOUR FACE :) That's all...

BTW, this is nice, I hoped for some simpler chains that the existing 4-level monsters! There is no way to guarantee that it will require only chicken, though. The goods type is meat, so sheep and cows might get accidentally into the kitchen, too :D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Sarlock

Done!

Thank goodness for layers.

That's the asphalt texture from the city roads.

And now I'm going to bed.

mEGa

The result is really promising ! Fine.  ;)

sdog

QuoteBTW, this is nice, I hoped for some simpler chains that the existing 4-level monsters! There is no way to guarantee that it will require only chicken, though. The goods type is meat, so sheep and cows might get accidentally into the kitchen, too

To simplify it the chicken are brought there directly from the farm :-P

greenling

Sarlock
It Those Building for Leftdrived Cars?

Sarlock

Haha, yes, I figured I'd make the Brits in the room happy.  It just looked nicer doing the drive thru on that side.  I tried on the opposide side but I liked it more over there.  I'm sure everyone can overlook that very minor technicality  ;)

I could remove the arrow on the wall to make it a bit more ambiguous.

Fabio

The arrow could be simply inverted, i.e. entering from east, with the delivery window conveniently on the left side of the car.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Or two arrows pointing at each other, ensuring lots of crashes and money for local repair shops. :)

Sarlock

I removed the arrow completely and put a sign at the entrance on the right... now you can enter driving on the left or the right and the drive thru works :)  Both sides can be happy!

Any further thoughts or comments?  I'll produce the 4 rotations and snow versions if we're happy with this.

mEGa

For me it's okay. Don't change anything. Excellent.