News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Simutrans Fried Chicken (SFC)

Started by Sarlock, October 11, 2012, 07:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markohs

You didnt include Isaac's face at the end?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Sarlock

Yes, he's on the front of the building :)
I'm showing the back rotation because it's the best view to see the entire parking lot and other things I've added to the back of the building.

I think I'll use a smaller version of car for the props so that they are to scale with the building.  I might even try and render some in 3D and see how they look (it'll make the rotations easier).  Then 4 rotations, do the post-render editing, add 4 snow rotations and our end-user chicken factory is ready to go.  If some of the franchise owners try and cut costs and include other meat, well... the patrons probably won't notice the difference ;)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Sarlock

It's back... more chicken... more fried yumminess... it's time for Simutrans Fried Chicken!

I've made some changes here and there and produced the 4 rotations.  It took a bit of post-blender processing time, so I'm hoping that these are the final versions.  (then I'll add snow, which should be fairly easy for this building)

Have a good look and see if you can see anything strange that I may have missed.  I've done a lot of blender today and I've gone a little cross-eyed.   :o

[Edit]

And I will add night lighting :)

Fabio

Awesome!

Note: Could you just anti-alias the yellow parking stripes?

Sarlock

You bet, easy to do... they didn't come out of blender very nice so I had to fix them and I think I "fixed" them a little too much... easy to do :)

greenling

The Simutrans Fried Chicken building looks very great out. 8)
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

My wife and I were tired after working an event at her school, so we happened to stop at KFC. Very timely. :D

Sarlock

How timely indeed!

Put this in your game and "wow" her...

http://www.elvenorder.com/simutrans/addons-wip/simutrans_fried_chicken.pak

This is a test model.  Single rotation, no snow, no night lights yet.  I added a special feature.

Here is the .dat file:

http://www.elvenorder.com/simutrans/addons-wip/simutrans_fried_chicken.dat

.png:

http://www.elvenorder.com/simutrans/addons-wip/simutrans_fried_chicken.png

As I am unfamiliar with balancing and play testing factories, could someone be kind enough to see if I've set my numbers anywhere near what they should be?  Also, map color... do we have a convention/system that we follow for that?

I figured being an urban "factory" that having an electricity boost wasn't necessary.  We can assume it would already be plugged in to the grid and its base numbers would already include the electrical bonus.

mEGa

Quote from: Sarlock on October 27, 2012, 07:21:08 AM
Here is the .dat file:
I'll test it soon
As I am unfamiliar with balancing and play testing factories, could someone be kind enough to see if I've set my numbers anywhere near what they should be?  Also, map color... do we have a convention/system that we follow for that?
an example to begin :
Location=City
intro_year=1980
intro_month=1
retire_year=2050
retire_month=12
DistributionWeight=1
Productivity=300
Range=200
pax_level=5
InputGood[0]=chicken
InputFactor[0]=30
InputCapacity[0]=200
InputSupplier[0]=0

I really don't know when real enterprise is created in USA. I wrote 1970...  :P
With "300" for productivity and "200" for InputCapacity, the flow of good will be rather important as reality (many chickens are consumed ?)
I figured being an urban "factory" that having an electricity boost wasn't necessary.  We can assume it would already be plugged in to the grid and its base numbers would already include the electrical bonus.
I agree.

EDIT :
Oups I forgot :
Congrats Sarlock (Last SMSC result)
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Isaac Eiland-Hall

A little informal research (so no links) and I suggest 1960-1970 as a start time. 1960s saw drive-through restaurants taking off; 1970 saw *branded* ones taking off, i.e. McDonald's and others started to get big around the latter time; a lot of no-name and big-names-that-weren't-bit-yet closer to 1960... so depends on which way you want to do it. :)

Sarlock

I've put 1978 in the .dat and .pak that I provided... it's a somewhat "modern" store design I used, so I figured 1978 would work fine.  Easily changed, of course.

This is what I've used to start:

Obj=factory
name=SimutransFriedChicken
Location=City
copyright=Sarlock

DistributionWeight=4
Productivity=200
Range=140

Electricity_amount=0
Electricity_boost=0
Mail_demand=10
Mail_boost=0
Passenger_demand=40
Passenger_boost=0

InputGood[0]=meat
InputCapacity[0]=400
InputSupplier[0]=0

MapColor=140

Passengers=25
intro_year=1978
chance=100
dims=1,2,1

Not sure about color, range and whether capacity and passenger/mail counts are appropriate.

Vladki

Nice fast food ;) Thanks.

Not sure about color, range and whether capacity and passenger/mail counts are appropriate.

Meat consumption - just decide, how many SFCs should be supplied by one chicken farm? Or vice versa? How many farms are needed to supply one SFC? I have no idea of the amount of meat eaten there, but I think one big farm should feed a few SFCs so just look at chickenfarm.dat and divide the production by 2-5.

Capacity - should be big enough to allow for smooth delivery of goods. It should provide supply for the same time as the train/truck makes the round trip to the supplier. Start with the same number as consumption and play a while. Try to oversupply the SFC. When it is over its capacity, chicken farm will stop supplying meat. All trucks/trains will be waiting at chicken farm until the input capacity goes below limit. If the SFC storage gets empty before the first convoy delivers meat, then increase the input capacity accordingly.
However, this sort of industry should have as small input storage as possible. No one wants to eat old meat. JIT delivery is important.

Sarlock

Lots of playing with the SFC today to try and balance out the settings.  Here's what I have now:

Obj=factory
name=SimutransFriedChicken
Location=City
copyright=Sarlock

DistributionWeight=4
Productivity=30
Range=20

Electricity_amount=0
Electricity_boost=0
Mail_demand=10
Mail_boost=0
Passenger_demand=50
Passenger_boost=1500

InputGood[0]=meat
InputCapacity[0]=40
InputSupplier[0]=0

MapColor=140

Passengers=25
intro_year=1978
chance=100
dims=1,2,1

It balances out around 2-4 SFC's per chicken farm, depending on the variability of production rates.  I've put in a 150% passenger boost for the SFC.  No passengers, not much chicken eaten...

New .pak file:

I'll get to work on other rotations, snow and lights.

Question about animations: Does it store a complete image for every step of the animation or only the sections of the image that change?  It'll help me decide whether to do animations for the other 3 rotations or not.

Fabio

It should store a complete image. But you could put the animation in the front image, so only that one would change.

greenling

Sarlock
in the pngfiles that you on
uploaded have give a bug!
It give only on Building on it.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Isaac_Clarke

This addon is excellent because  my citizens were tired of eating only canned food :/ It will change their gastronomic culture :D Congratulations Sarlock! Hope to see more addons in the future

Sarlock

Quote from: greenling on October 28, 2012, 09:32:08 AM
Sarlock
in the pngfiles that you on
uploaded have give a bug!
It give only on Building on it.

Greenling, it only has one rotation in it.  That has 9 images for the animation sequence (the chicken bucket rotates).
I'll include the other rotations and snow soon, just wanted to test the factory settings to strike a decent balance.
I'll put the bucket rotation on FrontImage.  Still deciding whether to animate the other 3 rotations or just the front one.  4 rotations+snow=8 x 9=72 images if I do animations for all.  (yike!)

And Isaac... many more addons to come... I'm just getting warmed up  ;)

Fabio

Sarlock, the rotating bucket is the one on top of the building, right? isn't it identical in the 4 variations?
You don't need more rotations if it's in front image. Just reuse the same animation frames applying an XY offset for the other views in the dat file.

greenling

Ah.
why have you that not said early. :o

Sarlock

Fabio, the shadow moves behind the bucket, so I don't think I can borrow the same animation sequence for each rotation, I'd have to make new sequences each time.  If I remove the shadow, I could probably do it with using the same images.  I'll test to see if it looks okay with the shadow missing.

Greenling, I said above that it was just a test model, single rotation, no snow, no night lights.  You probably just missed it :)

Sarlock

After much trial and error, I finally got it to work with a FrontImage using the same 8 tile animation sequence for all 4 rotations.  I made the shadow static and the small amount of swivel of the bucket wasn't enough to make it noticeable on the lack of shadow movement.  It took a LONG time to get all 8 animations to line up properly!  Not only did the bucket rotate around a centre point at the bottom but it is also tilted on its axis of rotation so it swivels around in an arc at the top (it wobbles).  Very tricky!  But I think I've mostly got it now, I can't see any big errors with the animation sequence.

PAK FILE

DAT and PNG FILE:

http://www.elvenorder.com/simutrans/addons-wip/simutrans_fried_chicken.dat

Let me know if you find any errors that I've overlooked.  I'm going to work on night colours and snow.

greenling

grampybear

This is a wonderful urban addition, but, Simu's do not live on meat alone. Perhaps for you next release you could add milk ( for the young ) and beer for us older folks.

Sarlock

Winter version of SFC finished, version 1.0:

This took quite a while to do (4 rotations x 2 tiles each = 8 tiles).  I am going to work on adding the snow to my renders in future and see if I can make it work (it would save a ton of time!).

Thoughts/comments?  Anything look really odd or doesn't make sense?  Oh, and ignore the roof part, that's where the bucket rotates, so it's just half a shadow needed on the right side.

I used a better 3D render for these images based on the feedback from some other render test subjects.  The lines are more "crisper" and less blurred than previous renders.  I think it fits better with the pak128 style using this render method.

I didn't put any snow on the red awnings because it just didn't look right.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

This building is so funny I'd love to adapt it for inclusion in pak128.Britain. Would you mind sending me the blender file so I can render it using pak128.Britain settings?

Sarlock

You bet, once I think this building is in its final incarnation (which I think it is) I'll link the .blend file here and you can go to work adapting it for pak128.Britain :)

mEGa

I definitively vote for it. Excellent !

Fabio

Sarlock

And one final step... night lights!

Windows, easy... but I was having some trouble doing anything meaningful with the sign on the front... there isn't enough night light colours available to be able to do much with it without ruining the image.

I put a red light on the SFC bucket on the roof, seems to look good at night and still fine during the day.

I also experimented with red lights running under the windows, but I'm not sure if I like it.

Let me know what you think.

Compare red lights under window and on sign vs. winter picture:

With the final decision on the night lights, that will complete the SFC project for full release.

[EDIT]
Changed daytime pictures to have sharper resolution rendering like the snow ones had.  I like that style of 3D render better for Simutrans, it's a bit "crisper" of an image (less blurry).

mEGa

I like idea of colonel's sign neon... But in fact, at present, it is not very fine than enlightened version. May be 2 suggestions :
1. apply  twinkling effect (you can easily because neon is only in one picture)
or
2. Mark outline of the colonel's face with night color (grey values) : outline of glasses,   outline of beard.

Well, rest is really good IMHO. Oner more time : gorgeous !

EDIT :
I tested first suggestion... Finally, it is rather difficult as you can see on joined file

Fabio

My God! THe colonel's face in the last pics just looks diabolic! The concept is good, but it's definitely scary!

It's probably just the eyes: maybe the glasses in night color but the lenses (and hence the eyes) in normal color would make him more benevolent... ???

mEGa

Quote from: Fabio on November 08, 2012, 10:41:43 AM
My God! THe colonel's face in the last pics just looks diabolic! The concept is good, but it's definitely scary!
Colonel lives near nuclear plant ! :-)
I admit it was just a fast test. I ask me first suggestion will be better. Just make twinkling red light...

EDIT : I tested with mixed suggestions (neon sign with animation).

See joined file for source with grey colors values.

Fabio

This Colonel is much more benevolent! :D
I like it!