News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Simutrans Fried Chicken (SFC)

Started by Sarlock, October 11, 2012, 07:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

Don't forget, it's not the colonel, it's the benevolent dictator.

i think the large flashing image would annoy me when playing.

Sarlock

Beware!  Big Brother is watching!  Haha!

Not sure, I think sdog might be right, the blinking might be a bit much.  Then again, how often do people play at night?

My available animation sequence is 8 tiles long since I already have the bucket as FrontImage, so I could do an 8 sequence light show with the colonel for no extra image requirements... what to do, though... hmm!

Do the red lights under the window sill look okay or should I not put them there?
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Sarlock

Hmmm... major challenges.  I've decided I don't like the red lights under the windows, they are too bright on the dark side of the building during the daylight.

Realized that I can't do an 8-stage animation for the front colonel because the bucket is used for all 4 rotations, not just the front one... unless I want to add 8 more images just to add the colonel animation which I don't think I want to do (I don't want to make this building have 32 images, it already has 24 which is enough).

The problem with the blinking sequence is that it will also be visible during the day which is not my ideal situation.

Maybe it's best kept dark until if/when the day ever arises that we have customizable night colours available, then something customized can be done with those specific colours.  Maybe I'll just add some LED-like lights around the edge of the colonel and leave it at that.  I'll play with it some more and see what happens.  :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I don't know how I feel about the animation... but I can say with certainty that people don't want me flashing them! (For non-native English speakers, "flashing" can refer to exposing one's parts that shouldn't be exposed for the shock value).

That aside... I dunno- the animation was neat, but it didn't flicker like neon does... don't think it's possible to get it "right".

Maybe the restaurant doesn't stay open late for dinner. :)

But I'll be interested to see the results of the LED experiment, too. :D

mEGa

Well... thanks for your feedbacks.
What we can say this test makes a lot react !  ;D
Experiment remains... an experimentation !. I agree with most of the "negative" reactions. The neon sign is slightly too screamy.
Note : timeline period was 500 ms per picture.
Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on November 09, 2012, 06:36:57 AM
but I can say with certainty that people don't want me flashing them! (For non-native English speakers, "flashing" can refer to exposing one's parts that shouldn't be exposed for the shock value)
Don't worry, I admit you that it was very (too) ambitious. My apologizes for this nightmare  :D
Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on November 09, 2012, 06:36:57 AM
Maybe the restaurant doesn't stay open late for dinner. :)
Good notice. it's solution to explain no neon sign at night.

Sarlock you are going well. LEDs only outline can show better results.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

VS

Hmm... what should I do with this, now? There's nothing to commit yet, it seems... Or is this not finished?

* VS wanders away mindlessly again

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Sarlock

Sorry, not quite done yet, just want to work on the animation.

I'll be back in a few days and will be making that my first task :)

Sarlock

I've been working with the lighting for hours and I just can't find something I'm happy with.  The other challenge is that I already have a 8 stage animation for this building for the bucket, so any light animation has to align with that and then requires me to write an additional 8 animations for the front of the building where the sign is.  Besides the fact that I couldn't find a design that looked nice it also wasn't worth adding another 8 images to the .pak.  So, in the end, I've forgone the sign lighting and other lights and have just gone with windows and menu drive-in signs for lights.

Therefore, without further ado, I present to you the final version of the Simutrans Fried Chicken outlet:

URLs:

http://www.elvenorder.com/simutrans/addons/simutrans_fried_chicken.png
http://www.elvenorder.com/simutrans/addons/simutrans_fried_chicken.dat
http://www.elvenorder.com/simutrans/addons/simutrans_fried_chicken.pak

Barring any errors found, it's ready to be committed to the pak.  :)

Vladki

There is a small bug in rotations - rotation 1 and 3 should be swapped.

VS

In r1044, fixing the rotation bug as well.

Sarlock

Excellent, thanks for doing that VS... I was just logging in to make that change myself.  You beat me to it :)
Off to work on trees instead then...

The Hood

Any chance of a blend file for modification to pak128.Britain?

Sarlock

The Hood

Just trying to edit this blend file and rather oddly the mesh doesn't have any faces so it doesn't render. Have you got an up to date version?

Zeno

Works for me with 2.64. Faces and render are ok.
Which blender version are you running, The Hood?

Sarlock

It's made with version 2.63... works fine for me.

The Hood

Aha - 2.56. Just downloading 2.64...

OK - got the file working, but there are a number of texture files missing - could you post those please?

Zeno

You can pack those textures "inside" the blender file. Just click the "present" icon in the image (UV) screen :)

Sarlock

wlindley

Looking at your dat file, I realized the x-offset and y-offset parameters to BackImage / FrontImage were not documented.  I updated that.

Sarlock

Thanks for adding that information to the wiki, that was on my "to do" list :)