News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

"Mirror route" bug

Started by asaphxiix, October 13, 2012, 10:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

hi, just reporting this one in
line 89, configured P2P train, going to Southampton then Leicester, but doesn't actually stop there (passengers stay on train), rather it goes back to S-ton only then goes to L again and this time stops. So it stops in L every other stop.

http://host03.pipebytes.com/get.php?key=103157889381867
running simtrans 111.0 exp. 10.11 pak 64-classic 0.4

jamespetts

Can you check whether this is fixed in the release candidate? Thank you!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

chicken

I was noticing this in the release candidate and I came here to see that 10.12 is out, and it seems to have the same problem.

Sometimes when I design a railroad route with double-tracking and two-track stations, the "Mirror Route" option does not work and the train goes looping around to get to the marked platform, instead of automatically deducing the opposite platform appropriately.

I'd have to go back to marking all platforms in both directions to get a working route.

Now in the RCs I was able to sometimes fix this problem by ensuring that no signals were placed onto platform tiles but that doesn't seem to help now.

One other thing: I can't seem to send vehicles to Depots. It just ignores my clicks.

jamespetts

Chicken,

thank you for your reports: can you upload a saved game in which this can be reproduced?

chicken

Just run it for a bit and you'll see the train try to loop around.

p.s. british-ex 0.8.4

asaphxiix

Not sure if this is the same bug or not - but here's a simple scenario with trains skipping stations on a 2 way track with multiple stops. if you follow one around a bit you will see it skips #5 coming from #4 every other journey, then having to turn around in the next U turn to go there again. This also happens in a circular route, or with manually setting of mirroring.

I'm on latest release + pak-uk 0.8.4 (but it happens on 0.8.3 as well, also with previous version)

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/skipping2.sve

edit: very strangely i see, that this happens on simutrans standard 111.3 as well! I must be doing something wrong. Am I?

jamespetts

Hmm - haven't had chance to look into this in detail, but perhaps you could submit this as a bug report for Standard if you can reproduce it there? I can then apply any fix to Experimental, if the relevant part of the code hasn't diverged too much in the meantime.

Carl

I wonder if this is in fact a case where the Experimental code is designed to produce different behaviour from the Standard code but in fact fails to do so (which would mean this is not a Standard bug but an Experimental bug). As Dwachs said in the new thread asaph started on this matter, Standard doesn't attempt to find alternative platforms en route for a mirrored line -- Experimental does, but my fear is that this save shows that this is not always successful.

asaphxiix

thank for the help james, carl! I'm pretty sure that at least in experimental, trains do manage to stop in every station on the backwards lane, most of the time, except when the bug happens.

asaphxiix

yep this looks like the same bug I reported in the other thread. I saw this, but didn't understand well that it is the same problem - sorry for duplication.

jamespetts

Topics merged - ought to have looked more closely at the description of the second report - apologies!

asaphxiix

so I have found that the official way to go around this bug is to build choose signals for all stops in both ways - with intersecting between lanes enclosing the ends of a mid-station, so that no 'one way' is imposed on either tracks within station boundaries, and trains can go on one lane or the other freely.

This resolves the issue, however for this, it is recommended to lower choose signal costs in the pak. I will post a pak if anybody wants.

jamespetts

I have found and fixed (on the 10.x branch) the bug reported by Chicken, which was caused by the system incorrectly failing to deal with convoys which did not have an assigned line. I am afraid, however, that Asaph's saved game is no longer available for me to test. Asaph - would you mind uploading again? Thank you very much.

jamespetts

Hmm - you seem to have customised this pakset such that there are no platforms when I load it in the released 0.8.4, and I can't test this without having the same platforms as in your version. Can you produce a version of this that works in 0.8.4 without modification?

asaphxiix

http://upchi.co.il/1pxpju7lfzde - this is a recreation of the mirror route bug. quite plain to see if you let it run. however, I was not able to reproduce it with manual scheduling of the mirror - either something is changed, or I can't find the exact trigger, but I do recall distinctly that I recreated it for the manual setting as well.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for that. The problem here was caused by a platform being bisected by a signal. I should be able to fix it so that it does not fail when platforms are bisected by signals, but that will require incrementing the major version number, as additional data would have to be saved. Until then, I recommend not putting signals in the middle of platforms (it is not good practice in any event).

Edit: The first problem is caused by lineless convoys not working with the reverse route system (which will be fixed in the next release). Is anyone able to reproduce any error with the reverse route system not involving lineless convoys or platforms with signals part way along them?

asaphxiix

that's embarrassing..
I can't seem to recreate it now. and in the save of the world map server game we used to play, where I suffered from it most, also I get a pak mismatch. Maybe this was the reason for my problems? perhaps something was amiss with the pakset... I saw this bug so many times and in so many places, it bankrupt me in that game, and I was able to recreate it so neatly back then... So I can't doubt its existence, but maybe something's changed.

jamespetts

There was a partial fix for issues relating to this in a recent version, I think, so don't worry too much. The issues might well be now confined to those listed in my previous post.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on February 10, 2013, 02:03:01 AM
There was a partial fix for issues relating to this in a recent version, I think, so don't worry too much. The issues might well be now confined to those listed in my previous post.

Any new RC coming up? Many bugfixes since 19. That industry appearing as permanent construction sites after 120 years is pretty annoying, and the reservation bug--

jamespetts

Quote from: Junna on February 10, 2013, 04:55:29 AM
Any new RC coming up? Many bugfixes since 19. That industry appearing as permanent construction sites after 120 years is pretty annoying, and the reservation bug--

I was rather hoping for some progress on the 112.x branch before releasing a new RC - I think that Bernd must have been busy lately, as I haven't heard from him for a while.