News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

"Allow City Growth" toggle

Started by Julia, October 22, 2012, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia

Hi all,

Probably another rather newbie question but... when I go to a town hall and check the "Allow City Growth" toggle off, which of the following stop happening unless I do them manually:

- city limits expand as a result of new buildings
- new buildings on previously unoccupied land
- upgrading existing buildings
- new industries inside the city, eg. Markets
- population growth

I've got several cities in the area where I started working on in my current game in 1900 (it's now 1931) and they are threatening to turn into one amorphous blob - I'd quite like more variety in goods going in and out, but not too much more urban sprawl, but I've also go to think about the tens of thousands of passengers waiting at the congested stations too... oh for a bulk goods wagon that can do more than 65kmh!

Combuijs

Not 100% sure (so certainly not a newbie question!), but I think:

All of them except the new industries.

The new industries are based on total population. As long the total population grows there is a chance of new industries, also in a city where growth is stopped. But that chance is of course not really big.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Randy007

Hi,
its not a newbiie-question. ;) The dependencies of Citygrowth and  new industrie is a little confusing. As far as i knows it go' that way:
Lets say you have 2 city's A + B. Both 999 citizens. Your  industry_increase_every in the simuconfig stands at 1000. For Town A you put City Growth off. Town B comes over the 1000, then there comes a new Industrie. But the position of the new industrie is randomly, so it might happen, that the industrie is in town A. BTW: the increase-factor is expo. so it gos 1000,2000,4000,8000 etc. for every town!

Sarlock

It turns off everything in your list... the city goes "dead" and doesn't grow in any way while that box is checked.  You would have to add the new factory chains manually, which isn't hard to do.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics