News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Speed buffers

Started by emaxectranspoorte, December 25, 2008, 06:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

Speed Buffers are based on reality. Imagine, what would happen to the passengers standing near, if a train (in Simutrans: high quality track, high speed track, maglevs, etc...) with a speed above around 200 km/h would pass by?

Well, from the Japanese maglevs, (based on YouTube) a maglev slows down, to an acceptable speed, namely 140 km/h, before it enters the first tile, of a station, where, when it stops, (it enters, the last station tile of a station, (or a track tile, before), with the first car (carriage), and where it stops with the last car), the passengers can get on/off. Similarly, vice versa (when the train leaves the first station tile of a station, with the last car (carriage), and where it stops with the first car). That said, in simutrans this can be programmed by placing a button (probably in the train tool, panel) in which you can place an invisible speed buffer, for the trains on track, to follow.
Why a special tool, when you can just program it to run automatically, in the game?
Well ... because, of the new world record for trains addition in the game, itself. At times an express train, can pass by, especially, on a track especially designed for new world records (In Real Life and/or Simutrans), so the train don't have to slow down for every station, if there are many, close and/or consecutively, together. In some maps, this may happen...

I got this idea, because of two things:

1. In Simutrans (probably the same for any other real-world simulation), the trains just go at top speed through any station, even if it is not an important station (express trains) = not safe for passangers if at, for example 500km/h.

2. I picked this idea from industry, you know, buffers for personnel, manufacturing and/or product safety: safety of passengers from top speeds of trains. 

Can this be created in Simutrans, by any chance?  :-\

VS

Simply use a slower track for the station area: first build track ===----===, then ===[[[[=== station. Done.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on December 25, 2008, 09:48:52 AM
Simply use a slower track for the station area: first build track ===----===, then ===[[[[=== station. Done.

Thanks, VS.

But It might be ... not necessarily a slower track. What about a slower elctrification of track?  :-\

What about for maglevs?

VS

You are right, I didn't think of that.

Since almost no graphic is needed, it is just a question of writing a dat file and putting one black dot into the picture :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on December 25, 2008, 11:49:59 AM
You are right, I didn't think of that.

Since almost no graphic is needed, it is just a question of writing a dat file and putting one black dot into the picture :)

Thanks again, VS.

If you don't really want to produce a graphic, for this menubutton, that's fine with me. It can be a white simutrans menubutton with the wrtting as you roll over it: "Place Speed Buffer" or something like that. But ... It needs to be a special tool. What if a certain player wants to run an express service through (to achieve the new world record for trains addition in the game), for example, ten evenly (well ... basically/variably) distanced stations, not stopping at, say, 7 of them. You only place the speed buffers, before and after, for the stations needed. :) And other trains can use same track to carry passangers from the other stations not serviced by the express trains. :) 8)

jbode

Or possibly introduce a speed limit for railwaystations? should be the most simple solution ...

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: jbode on January 06, 2009, 11:49:47 PM
Or possibly introduce a speed limit for railwaystations? should be the most simple solution ...

Thanks, jbode. :)

What about if a player wants to run an express train through it... ? :-\ :-\

jbode

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on January 07, 2009, 08:08:58 AM
What about if a player wants to run an express train through it... ?
Express trains have to slow down too ... allowed speed is/should be a function of the head wind. From the aspect of proper traffic system layout mixing of different speed trains is not ideal anyway. You could - in case you feel the slowdown too problematic - use a bypass system. As its done in reality.

Jörg

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: jbode on January 07, 2009, 08:16:41 AM
Express trains have to slow down too ... allowed speed is/should be a function of the head wind. From the aspect of proper traffic system layout mixing of different speed trains is not ideal anyway. You could - in case you feel the slowdown too problematic - use a bypass system. As its done in reality.

Jörg

GREAT IDEA (even BETTER than my own ;) :) ) AND GOOD POINT, Jorg. :) So how would you switch between a speed limit (slow down mode) and/or a bypass system, in Simutrans and how will this be implemented? :-\ :-\

Fabio

Quote from: jbode on January 06, 2009, 11:49:47 PM

I support this idea

prissi

If you use low speed track for braking, then high speed train wayfinder would try to route around anyway, if the penalty (curvewise) is not too high.