News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Need Menubutton for Stepping Timeline down by one year

Started by Peyo, December 25, 2008, 07:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peyo

The issue is a little bit too complex and it will take a bit too long to explain in here...  :-\  :)

DirrrtyDirk

Let's see if I understand this correctly...

You want a button that allows you, when you are for example in 1954, to jump back ony year to 1953?

I think I remember prissi saying that this isn't possible - and also this would be a Extension Request for simutrans itself (and then it would belong into the forum section of the same name, not here in pak128).

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Moved.

I think it is a nice idea... if not possible, too bad.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

z9999

I don't find any useful purpose for this.
We can buy any old vehicle, we can build old factories and attractions too.

So, how is this useful ?

prissi

And also the game strictly assumes a monotonic rising time. It does not cope well with time machines.

Peyo

Quote from: prissi on December 25, 2008, 09:07:19 PM
And also the game strictly assumes a monotonic rising time. It does not cope well with time machines.

Sorry, stepping time-line down by a year? From year 2107 to year 1963, for example. Just like stepping time-line up by a year. If anyone could help?? ... :-\

Thanks  :)

DirrrtyDirk

He just told you it can't be done at the moment - and would be very difficult to implement. So why do you keep pushing it?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Peyo on December 26, 2008, 04:44:56 AM
If anyone could help?? ... :-\

I don't know if someone could help implementing it.  :)

The biggest problem is that, until now, you haven't presented us solid reasons that justify the implementation of this feature. If it's only for sake of fun seeing years being changed back and using older vehicles and buildings, I can't find a real utility for it. Simutrans is a transportation simulator, not a civilization simulator.

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: z9999 on December 25, 2008, 03:26:09 PM
I don't find any useful purpose for this.
We can buy any old vehicle, we can build old factories and attractions too.

So, how is this useful ?

He's right you know ...  :o  ::)

Unless there's a specific problem you may have? ???  :-\

Peyo

Quote from: IgorTekton on December 26, 2008, 10:44:32 AM
I don't know if someone could help implementing it.  :)

The biggest problem is that, until now, you haven't presented us solid reasons that justify the implementation of this feature. If it's only for sake of fun seeing years being changed back and using older vehicles and buildings, I can't find a real utility for it. Simutrans is a transportation simulator, not a civilization simulator.

For you: programmers, web developers and painters. Sorry, I am not eeither. Nor have the experince to be one.
:o ::)  :-\

Anyway, thanks Igor for trying to help me.  ;)  :)

I just love those older stations, you know, the ones that cost $5,400. 8) As they are not provided later on, with all the modern stations replacing them later: $6,600.

Oh, well...  :-\  :-\  :-\

DirrrtyDirk

Why didn't you just ask for that in the beginning?  :)  Enabling you to build old stations can probably be done much easier than jumping the whole game back in years.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Peyo on December 26, 2008, 10:26:11 PM
For you: programmers, web developers and painters. Sorry, I am not either. Nor have the experince to be one.

Aww! Sorry. I hope you didn't get me wrong. What I meant was "I don't know if any/some programmer would interest in programming it"... once we have some projects and works on progress and there are other ways of using objects "off-time line".

Even so, you are welcome to make any suggestion to the DevTeam, even if you are not a programmer, like me. ;)

Regarding what I said "I can't find a real utility for it", I meant, what it would add to gameplay besides allowing any object to be used to compose a landscape. As you said, it's because of cheaper prises, besides landscape design. As I have said, Simutrans is a transportation simulator, therefore you have to deal with challenges of logistic business, this is the Simutrans' goal.

Many players have requested some features to be included into Simutrans just for sake of "more realism". A "stepping timeline down" feature wouldn't fit well in Simutrans if considering "more realism" context.

I just love those older stations, you know, the ones that cost $5,400. 8) As they are not provided later on, with all the modern stations replacing them later: $6,600.

You could play Simutrans with "Use chronology from year" disabled. Thus, you can use any object independently from "History line".

BTW: congratulations. You have posted the 10,000th post of Simutrans Forum. :award:

Peyo

Quote from: IgorTekton on December 27, 2008, 12:57:08 AM

Even so, you are welcome to make any suggestion to the DevTeam, even if you are not a programmer, like me. ;) - Thanks I'll do just that, later on.  ;)  :)

Many players have requested some features to be included into Simutrans just for sake of "more realism". A "stepping timeline down" feature wouldn't fit well in Simutrans if considering "more realism" context.

You could play Simutrans with "Use chronology from year" disabled. Thus, you can use any object independently from "History line". - What about for a saved game?  :-\  :-\

BTW: congratulations. You have posted the 10,000th post of Simutrans Forum. :award: - Really, do I get anything? Presents etc... ;) :) :-\

Before I only gave an example from the railroad tools menu in-game. :)

Fabio

Easy enough, there could be a check box "show obsolete items" at the end of every toolbar, like in depots.

and, @ Peyo, why don't you play without timeline constraints? just uncheck "obey timeline" at the start of a game and you can play with whatever track/station/vehicle regardless of the year.

Peyo

Quote from: fabio on January 05, 2009, 07:31:03 AM
Easy enough, there could be a check box "show obsolete items" at the end of every toolbar, like in depots.

and, @ Peyo, why don't you play without timeline constraints? just uncheck "obey timeline" at the start of a game and you can play with whatever track/station/vehicle regardless of the year.

??? What if I worked so hard on a map, and I don't have enough time to do all over again (with the time-line on)? :-\

prissi

WQell, you can slow game speed before or just build in pause mode. Other than that, you can still but all old vehicles, so there is nothing lost.

MHD

I am just taking up the idea and want to give you reason, why it would really really help me to implement this function:

I started in 2007 on building a real-life scenario of prague. When I started this, no editing function was implemented in Simutrans. It was around Version 0.92 or so.
What I did was:

- modifying the height map into a playable state
- Building a very detailed real street network of 960km²
- Building the complete real raiway network
- Building all city districts, suburbs and villages on the area
- Reproducing the complete industrial zones
- Building all real transport stations
- Building all Monuments and attraction of the area

Later I added some real transportation network.

When I started in Year 1930, It took me up to year 1984 to finish all of this. Why?

In that Version of the game, there was no separate editing mode and it was not possible to build things in Pause-Mode.

With a great programming issue of the Simutrans community, it was possible to transfer the game into Version 1.20, even the latest nightly with not even 1 bug (!!) appearing.

Now I am a bit frustrated: The town is perfectly finished, but it is the year 1984 and the most gameplay-changes took place: No more old buses, trains and so on and so on. Even the nice graphics of old-style-buildings are not longer available...pity!

But I think, it is a good reason, at least to ask, if it would be possible. As I see, in Edit-mode it is possible to add one year. Means, the time-machine function is at least possible in one-way.

Anyway, this function would really make me smile :-)

Greetings, Oliver

P.S. I have to mention, that all this work took me around 18 months, sometimes more, sometimes less. Means: Just to start a new game and do all the things would really be boring, cause I did all this once before...

P.P.S. If you are interested in taking a look onto the savegame, you find the link to DL here: Greater Prague to download

MHD

Solved by prissi by using the XML-Version of the savegame. Many thanks!