News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Hot climates buildings

Started by Fabio, November 05, 2012, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

Quote from: Fabio on November 05, 2012, 11:58:20 AM
All the time I favored high level buildings, as I find them much more interesting.
I suddenly realized that low level buildings (level 1 to 10) need love, too.
They are as important and distinctive for a city as the level 60 ones, as the two ends are the one most noticeable by players, respectively in the outskirts or rural areas and downtown.

Hence I decided to work a bit on Patrick's modular row houses.
I'm adding them rotations (how silly when their doors don't match the road!) and restricting them to colder climates (and extending their timeline, as I removed antennas ans the such).

As I don't want to reduce the housing choice, I created replacement (with same levels and details) for hot climates as well.

NEW

prissi

The desert houses look to plain and too neat for me. Also a little to orangish on my screen. Maybe you could store there some baskets or a log to sit or something in front of some of those?

IgorEliezer

A bit about desert houses, including modern ones:

More: http://www.dezeen.com/2009/10/16/ecolodge-by-laetitia-delubac-and-christian-felix/

...but I wouldn't expect snow on them during the winters, so often. Due to humidity and colder temperature, these houses tend to look more blueish and greenish, or even colorful with high saturation; while during the dry period, they tent to look dull, lack green elements, are covered with dust and look more yellowish.

Fabio

Quote from: IgorEliezer on November 05, 2012, 04:21:23 PM
...but I wouldn't expect snow on them during the winters, so often. Due to humidity and colder temperature, these houses tend to look more blueish and greenish, or even colorful with high saturation; while during the dry period, they tent to look dull, lack green elements, are covered with dust and look more yellowish.

Thank you for sharing! The idea is that I wanted to make houses "for the hot climates", including desert, tropic, and mediterran.
In a way there are kind of too many styles to mix and I want them to be snow-proof when put e.g. in Mediterranean riviera above winter snow level. Anyway, if there's no snow, summer image will be shown, so no problem with it.

I chose the "adobe style" but simplified in order to look good also in the other 2 climates. I honestly have no idea about how houses should look like in Tropical regions, and for Med I think mostly of Greece.
Probably I'll finish and release the "cold weather" houses, while we brainstorm some more about the hot climates.

I would like ideas for
1) STYLE: is adobe and adobe-like ok for all three climates? should we have a single style (at least for now) for all hot climates, or to distinguish among them?
2) LAYOUTS: flat roof? (probably so)
3) PROPS: which details are better?

Any other contribution to the discussion is highly welcome, but I want to point out that:
- I wish to use for this sub-set modular elements
- I wish to combine them in a similar way to the cold climates houses they'll replace for warm climates
- I want the warm climates replacement to fill the gaps (levels) created restricting the other houses to colder climates.

Sarlock

Like for all of the climate zones, there is a huge variation in architectural selection.

First, we can start with some assumptions and requirements:

1) Our cities are representative of modern, technological (first world) urban areas.
2) We want building choices to be available across several climate zones.  No sense eating up memory and pak space for a building that is only good for 1 climate zone.  Ideally, I'd like to see a single division between A)tropical/desert/med or B)temperate+ for the vast majority of buildings.  Many can apply to more or all climate zones, but I think 2-3 should be a minimum in general.

As I see it, this gives us some general guidelines to locate cities with which to sample architectural styles for warmer climates:

Tropical/Desert/Mediterranean: Brazil, Mexico, Southern US (see Nevada, Arizona or New Mexico for desert), Mediterranean countries.  (among other selections)
My personal opinion is that the white washed, red brick roof style is fairly ubiquitous through most of these regions and is probably a good choice of building style that spans all three of these climate zones.  This is a frequently seen building style in the Mediterraneon and South America/Mexico.
Seeing snow in the New Mexico and Arizona deserts is not a rare event, especially in New Mexico.

Albuquerque has some good desert house examples:

But the problem is that these houses are really only suitable for desert.  They'd probably look okay in tropical.

From an era perspective, pre-1900-1930 there really wasn't much going on in the deserts and tropical areas of the world from a economic standpoint, except for a few specific examples.  Cities in the deserts of the US were mostly like scenes out of western movies with the wooden buildings and gun slingers ready to duel at high noon.

I'd like to mostly stick to buildings that are more multi-purpose climate wise.

[EDIT]

Updates/changes look good, Fabio, nice work :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!