News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Railroad Tunneling Similar Looking Rail Compatibility Tool

Started by Peyo, December 27, 2008, 09:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peyo

Since Igor asked me for some "realism" ideas for Simutrans, here's one:

When you create a railroad tunnel, a straight rail tunnel of a similar rail (player chooses) type, as you all know, is created. But when you try to (underground view mode) extend that line with the train tunneling tool, it turns to a decayed iron sleepers looking like (there not even sleepers, they are like something holding the rails stuck to the cement and/or concrete bottom of the tunnel). You probably know what I'm talking about, these things also exist in real life. This is not at all the problem In fact it even diversifies  ;)  8) :) Simutrans (if a Simutrans player chooses to do so).

The problem is this:

What if someone, who is playing, wants to continue building the same type of track (underground view mode), for example, a track which looks like a high-speed track and/or a high quality track or both (in eeither way and/or eeither direction up to the player) etc., without the track changing to the default (see above) without the players permission?

I tried it and it never works. I tried clicking the type of track first, and then the rairoad tunneling tool, and it still defaults to the original looking track when you expand or extend your originally placed tunnel, further.   ??? ::) :-\   

If anyone would like to do this  :-\ ... It's only to make Simutrans more realistic, that's all ... 8) :) :-\

Please Note: I know the tunnel has the same 280km/h speed for pak128 and 300km/h speed for pak64. Only in pak64 it does not default at all (to the see above). But ... in pak64 you can't diversify :-\ between to rail looking types, while tunneling, at least I couldn't. :o  ::)

Modify: I downloaded and have maglevs following your discussions around here in forum. Similar "realism" problem happens for maglevs as well. :o :) :-\ (defaults to the Transrapid looking maglev track in the tunnels)   :-\  :-\

gauthier

I think each tunnel could have its own track in undergound mode ...
For example, pak128 tunnel should always have high quality track. If an underground track is built from an  existing tunnel with the pak128 tunnel tool, the track would be high quality track but if an other tunnel was used, it would be the track of this tunnel with the speed limit of this tunnel.

Fabio

I wanted to request it as well. To add way images for tunnels as well. every tunnel type should have its tunnel image. in my project of new tracks for 128 i plan a tunnel for each type (and speed) but i'd like to have different images also underground, one for each RIBI, like for normal tracks.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dwachs

also not implemented are textures for underground tracks and tiles (where currently the sidewalk graphics are used)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: VS on December 27, 2008, 12:08:48 PM
You may want to bring Kieron to this topic, too :)

Yep - underground is going to be improved - work is apparently already in progress.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Fabio

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on December 27, 2008, 03:49:47 PM
Yep - underground is going to be improved - work is apparently already in progress.

good to hear this!!!

Peyo

Quote from: fabio on December 27, 2008, 11:57:17 AM
I wanted to request it as well. To add way images for tunnels as well. every tunnel type should have its tunnel image. in my project of new tracks for 128 i plan a tunnel for each type (and speed) but i'd like to have different images also underground, one for each RIBI, like for normal tracks.

Thank you all for your replies. If you don't mind me asking, what is a RIBI? :o I know it's in the game, as well. I hope you don't mind me asking. ;) :-\ 

VS

It is probably some German cryptic shortened word... It means, which way directions are valid on the tile. There are 4 of them (or more?) and the rest is gained through combination of them. South means the tile has connection to south, and nowhere else, so it is end. If you have south and north, it is straight part of way, south and west is a curve... and so on. I glanced at the code and it is far more complicated (I don't understand), but the basics are like this.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Ribi is an abbreviation from RIchtung BIts I think, (direction bits, aka dibi in english). Bit because North East West South has each on bit set, if you can go in this direction.

Peyo

Thank you all for your replies. :) May I still ask, what is meant by RIBI (masked) and RIBI (unmasked)? :-\

By the way: I modified my message at the start of this thread to also (the same problem) includes maglevs, too. :o :-\

prissi

A crossing can have way in for direction. But turning in one may be forbidden, if the mask is set that way. One way signs work this way.