News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

bridgewater-brunel.me.uk - Simutrans-Experimental - Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.9.0

Started by jamespetts, November 20, 2012, 02:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

This is a known issue: you need to go to load game and type in "net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk". This should be solved with a future release.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

AP

No. I get that too sometimes. I'd thought it was my connection though.

Does anyone else see the tile 136,386 (one off the bridge) as a modern 50kmh road tile? I shortened my bridge and the tile it left behind is from another era entirely...

jamespetts

The freezes are, I think, caused by somebody with a very slow client connecting. The game is paused until the client tells the server that it's finished loading. If somebody is trying to access the server on a very slow computer (a small laptop, for example), that might take a long time.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Sholong

Sorry that I am a new-comer for online game and I have had quite a difficulty. I tried to connect to the server, but the loading takes year. I also lost my synchronization once after few minutes I was on the server.

I tried to ping the server (ping bridegewater-brunel.me.uk) and I've got ~320ms. In my very limited knowledge this is a bit slow for FPS games, but I am not sure on games like simutrans.

The problem can be due to my desktop being a bit old also. It has a Dual Core E6420 with 3GB RAM and nVidia GTX275, is that too old? Hope not..... may I also ask, which part of the hardware will affect the loading speed of map most? will it be CPU or RAM?

Hope my connection to the server was not making it freezed :P

jamespetts

Hello and welcome to Simutrans-Experimental! Don't worry about having problems - it's always worthwhile to try these things.

The important things for Simutrans-Experimental are CPU speed (it's a single threaded application, so having multiple cores doesn't help), memory (and to some extent memory bandwidth) and network bandwidth. Network ping is of some importance for responsiveness when connected to the server, but shouldn't affect loading times. The graphics card is not relevant, as Simutrans doesn't use hardware acceleration.

What is the bandwidth of your internet connexion, may I ask?

Sholong

I am using 100Mbps connection, which I tried for speed test like Speedtest.net will achieve at least few tens of Mbps, and I can always download file in a reasonable speed. Upload speed is good too.

Not sure if my location (Hong Kong China) will severe affect the bandwidth, but I can always connect to most of European and American web server in quite a speed.

Is that possible to test my connection speed to the game server? Or is the log history of connection somehow stored in files in simutrans folder?

jamespetts

Hmm, there's no specific way of testing bandwidth to the server of which I am aware. It might be your CPU, in that case. Have you tried loading very large single player games?

Sholong

Oh, I forgot to try this. Indeed it is really the problem. Think I'll need to stick to my single player games then.

Just how computers get outdated quickly nowadays. :-[  (Will there be any chance that I can pre-load the map, or at least terrain?)

jamespetts

I'm sorry to hear that that's the problem - was that processor one of the low power/budget ones? I was using a Pentium IV for Simutrans-Experimental until just under two  years ago, and that coped adequately.

I don't think that pre-loading can be made to work, sadly, as there's no easy way to disentangle things that don't change from the game state. Even the terrain might have changed between you pre-loading it and joining the game.

asaphxiix

jamespetts

Restarting now. The version that fixes this should be working once I find out why, in some cases, a journey of 844km is being recorded as having been made in 43 minutes using a horse and carriage...

wlindley

Quotea journey of 844km is being recorded as having been made in 43 minutes using a horse and carriage...
We need someone to draw one with a flux capacitor... or maybe we can borrow something from pak48.Excentrique?

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

ӔO

oh well, at least this gives me time to work on ways balancing :-p

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

I shall leave it down pending a version upgrade.

Edit: Back up with 10.15: see here for details of the latest version. This should fix some of the problems that we have been having with this game.

ӔO

Hurrah, james. Keep up the good work.

It still seems like version mismatch is not working properly, but everything else looks to be fixed.

Colour safe chart:

asaphxiix

Joy! Superb work by you James, it must be thrilling for you as well seeing many players together enjoying the game you've been making, around the clock. Glad to be a part of this.

jamespetts

Excellent, glad that things are working. The version mismatch will need a new pakset release to fix, however.

Jaridan

is there a reason why i can't connect? when i go into load and type net:etc. the only "respones" i'm getting from the server is : Server not responding.

jamespetts

One reason that the server might not respond when you try to load a game is if somebody else is joining the game at the same time. If that happens, try again in a few minutes. Also, double check the spelling of the address.

The server has just posted a new announcement to the announce server, so it is running.

Jaridan

okay, tried again and got: Protocol error (expected NWC_GAME)

am i missing files?

jamespetts

Hmm. Odd. Do you have the latest version of Experimental and the configuration files? How many times have you tried to connect? What OS are you running?

Jaridan

I'm using win7 64 bit, i'm not sure but i downloaded the latest stuff, so i think i should have everything

jamespetts

Hmm - that's most curious. Are you still getting this error? Are you typing exactly: net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk in the load dialogue box?

greenling

Sorry Jamespetts i have a litle problem.
How can i find a makeobj.exe for simutrans exp 10.15?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

Jaridan

i must humbly apologize, it seems that what i was inserting, was "incorrect", and that was the cause of this problem.

However, and this may be interesting/important to note, i was lazy, meaning,  i was copy- & pasting it(net:bridgewater....) out of this browser from the first page of this thread instead of typing it on my own.

I can connect like everyone else when i type it (though it takes some time to load).

Milko

Hello

Quote from: Jaridan on November 26, 2012, 05:23:51 PM

i must humbly apologize, it seems that what i was inserting, was "incorrect", and that was the cause of this problem.

However, and this may be interesting/important to note, i was lazy, meaning,  i was copy- & pasting it(net:bridgewater....) out of this browser from the first page of this thread instead of typing it on my own.

I can connect like everyone else when i type it (though it takes some time to load).

Strange, I did copy paste (version 10.14) and it always worked.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Quote from: Jaridan on November 26, 2012, 05:23:51 PM

Hmm - did you end up copying a trailing space by mistake?

Quote from: greenling
Sorry Jamespetts i have a litle problem.
How can i find a makeobj.exe for simutrans exp 10.15?

The Windows build is included with the Windows executable download. Makeobj has not been updated (and has not needed to be updated) since 10.12, however.

ӔO

Colour safe chart: