News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

No ships to move livestock?

Started by AP, November 22, 2012, 10:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Playing the 0.8.4 version in 1785, most of the industries are agricultural. But there's no way to move livestock by sea, which on a map like the current online game (which I'm now playing offline with a greatly increased industry density), is a bit of a problem. There are no canal barges nor ocean going ships (or deepwater ferries, if you prefer) which are suitable.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report of this issue. I have moved it to the Pak128.Britain Standard board, as the issue applies equally there. One question: do you know whether there was any historical precedent for moving livestock by water in the 18th century? If so, this is definitely an omission that needs remedying.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

The colonists who came to America starting in the 1600s brought quantities of livestock -- cattle, goats, sheep, horses -- from England.

The Hood

I noticed the same when I last played a game. It should probably be rectified (although I must admit I have no idea about the historicity of transporting livestock on inland waterways, it must have happened at sea). Some of the recent goods ships I have drawn can transport livestock.

greenling

Excuse me.
gives a modern livestock transporter for oceans in pak128.britain?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on November 23, 2012, 11:35:34 PMOne question: do you know whether there was any historical precedent for moving livestock by water in the 18th century? If so, this is definitely an omission that needs remedying.
I presume that livestock transport across and along rivers by barge/wherry must have gone on as an everyday occurance.. And likewise by sea in order to get livestock to and from the many outlying islands of the british isles (otherwise Ireland would have no cows/sheep etc).

Map of drove roads of scotland includes some clear routes over water... http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/map_zoom.jsp?item_id=92165&zoom=3

jamespetts

Interesting. What did livestock boats look like, I wonder...?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Probably fairly similar to normal boats. Smaller ones I guess would just have the animals in pens on deck, while larger ships would have them below. I will go back and do livestock versions of all cargo boats I feel would be realistic. It's just a shame that, given that boats are the sort of vehicle that could carry various different cargo types (e.g. piece goods one way, livestock back) that we can't define multiple cargo types for the same vehicle (in an OR configuration). Extension request coming on...

jamespetts

Indeed. In the early days of railways (1820s), passengers were carried in coal wagons...

AP

Quote from: The Hood on November 24, 2012, 12:11:30 PMIt's just a shame that, given that boats are the sort of vehicle that could carry various different cargo types (e.g. piece goods one way, livestock back) that we can't define multiple cargo types for the same vehicle (in an OR configuration). Extension request coming on...
Seconded.

The Hood

OK, I've added livestock versions for ships to standard SVN. Most re-use existing graphics but some have got new graphics. I've also added a Clan Line Steamer and Handysize capable of carrying cars as these also had no ships capable of transporting them.

jamespetts

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on November 24, 2012, 12:20:13 PM
Indeed. In the early days of railways (1820s), passengers were carried in coal wagons...

I doubt that paying passengers were ever so carried on a regular basis.  It is true that at the opening of the Stockton & Darlington non-VIP guests travelled in coal wagons, but those were presumably brand-new wagons that had not yet actually carried any coal. 

Best wishes,
Matthew

kierongreen

Cattle can be (and were regularly) made to swim across surprisingly wide bodies of water - several miles of open sea for example.

jamespetts

Quote from: kierongreen on November 28, 2012, 11:59:46 PM
Cattle can be (and were regularly) made to swim across surprisingly wide bodies of water - several miles of open sea for example.

Intriguing! How were they accompanied?

kierongreen

By a person in a small rowing boat I'd assume!

wlindley

Clearly the Livestock Drover dat-file should have the capability, able_to_ford_streams (albeit not in a single bound).  Or could we define a Livestock Raft? 

p.s., Livestock must have been commonly carried on ships, see for example "Swiss Family Robinson" (1812).  The 1960 movie has a scene where cattle and mules swim alongside the raft from the shipwreck.  Livestock also would have been commonly carried on-board a raft or ferry on gentler waters; that is a familiar scene from American Pioneer days certainly as early as the 1700s.  (Or on Mexican buses today...)

jamespetts

Better, I think, would be a "bridleway" waytype that can ford rivers but on which wheeled vehicles cannot pass: this could be encoded using Experimental's way constraints.