News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Increase detail in "New Vehicle" message box.

Started by benjad, November 25, 2012, 04:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benjad

Hi all, one quick request for future development.  Could you increase the amount of information in the "new vehicle" message box. 

Many of the paksets have A LOT of vehicles.  So, when a new vehicle (I'm really thinking train engines), appears, you have to search through the whole list to find it, and see if it is something you would want to work with.  Usually the engines are sorted a certain way, and knowing the basics (speed, power, etc) can speed up finding it in the list.

Programatically, I would say use the same routine used to determine what text to display in the depot, and just send that same text to the message box. 

Nice to have thing. 

Fabio

Actually useful: you might want a faster engine, hence you will only care about the message if it states the newer vehicle is as fast as you need it.

On the subject: maybe MUs should display a single message (using constraints).

Also new ways and stations could be worth announcing.

benjad

It is more than just speed.   The pattern I have notices in BR pak is that when a new fast engine comes it, it has a VERY high cost /km.  Within a year or so, something with similar characteristics, but much cheaper running costs comes along.  So it is not always about speed.  Sometimes a few km/h less, but more power so achieves better speeds.

I thought about the constraints.  I get the feeling it would be really complicated to choose when to / not show it.  On the other hand, I did just close 8 pop-up messages than a certain train set is retired/obsolete... so I can see some benefit there. 

New ways and stations listing capacities, and speed limits, very useful too. 

Fabio

Sure it's not just speed, mine was a mere example.

A single message for a train set is very important, probably you closed those 8 dialogs without even looking at them: too much info is almost worse than too few. Or maybe a single dialog grouping all vehicles with same intro or retire.

Ways are important, too, as if you have a toolbar open you won't see the new ones appear.

prissi

We could of course reuse the depot dialoge; but will this really help?

If somebody would have a try at the vehicle list, it could easily have a sort by intro date option ...

greenling

A sorting after introyear,withdraw,topspeed and power miss i.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!