News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

ctrl + remove > giving a choice between multiple objects

Started by ML, November 29, 2012, 09:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ML

Quite often one needs to remove one of the multiple objects on the tile (station/ electrification/tram track/rail signal/road/citycar/whatever), but there is a defined order, so it might take you a while to "get" to the right one and then eventually rebuilt the rest.

What if there was a combination of ctrl+remove tool, which would open a little dialogue letting you choose what exactly to delete?

There was a thread about this on the old forum – and not denied as far as I understand
http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/04704.0/index.html

What are your thoughts, players and devs?

Fabio

Awesome idea! This could even be the default remove tool behavior, in a user-friendliness perspective, while leaving ctrl+click and ctrl+shift+click for current behavior and power users. It would be nice if this tool could also be dragged.

I would also request a drag tool for removing stations only, just like for ways and wayobjects.

prissi

Requested before. But pedestrians and city cars change tiles quite often, so you may need to leave them out.

Fabio

Hence an expensive  drag tool to remove just city cars & pedestrian, plus they should get removed when the road is removed. It must be costly, as it can solve traffic jams, think of it like paying a cab fare to everyone on that tile! Something like 100$ per car and  5$ per pedestrian.

With this, Bulldozer should simply ignore city cars & pedestrians. It would be much more logical, often you bulldoze a road by mistake tyring to get rid off city cars.

Ters

Having a window pop up by default sounds very cumbersome. There are actually dedicated remove tools for much of the things that stack on a tile. I think it's only stops and moving objects that can only be removed with the generic remove tool. Signals can kind of be removed by reducing their spacing with the signal drag tool.

kierongreen

Fabio

A side request for default bulldozer: when the cursor is on a tile, highlight in red the object which would be removed if clicking.

An_dz

With fabio idea of the red highlight maybe we can use the mouse wheel to choose what to remove?

As you scroll the highlight changes to what will be removed.

Fabio

This would mean no zoom when bulldozer is selected?
The idea is intriguing, but this would be an issue to consider.

Anyway, I would really like to split citycars&pedestrian removal from the bulldozer tool to an own tool, because
Quote from: prissi on November 29, 2012, 10:41:04 PM
pedestrians and city cars change tiles quite often
and bulldozing them is very error-prone.

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Combuijs

No, they can run around where they want, as long as they don't block anything, and as far as I know they don't.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Ters

Removing pedestrians seem pointless, but a method for removing moving objects with traffic blocking abilities, like sheep and city cars, without the risk of removing the infrastructure is indeed useful.

Fabio

And anyway, all these should be removed from bulldozer queue, so that it works only for buildings and infrastructure objects.

An_dz

Quote from: Fabio on November 30, 2012, 12:50:53 PM
This would mean no zoom when bulldozer is selected?
The idea is intriguing, but this would be an issue to consider.
CTRL+wheel?

Fabio

Beside the fact that CTRL is a bit hidden to new players, it sounds great.

(By the way, CTRL+click is the standard zoom tool in many application, so they could even get swapped)

The same logic of CTRL + wheel and highlighting of object could be also used by the Info tool: you select with CTRL+wheel the object you want info about and click to open dialog.