News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

How passengers choose their routes

Started by V813, August 10, 2008, 11:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V813

Hi,

I know that passengers choose the route with the minimum transfers when they travel from one station to another. I have some further questions:
1) Building A is covered by two stations (M and N), and building B is covered by a station (P). How do passengers from A to B decide which station to use, if station P is accessible from both stations?
2) What if P is not accessible from N? Will passengers from A to B appear in the "no route" value of N?
3) (A different situation) There are two possible routes from station X to station Y, with the same number of transfers (say X>Q>R>Y and X>S>T>Y). Do the passengers from X to Y choose their routes completely randomly, or will most of them choose the same route?

Thanks
V813
V813
Simutrans newbie.

prissi

1+2) If the station is next to M, then passenger will try to find a route from M. If there is no route, then it will be "No route", even if there may be a route from N. The farther stations (N) will be only tried, when M is overcrowded.

3) They will all choose the same route. However, which route may change from stop to stop (including factors like building order an so on).

V813

Thanks prissi :)

EDIT:
So passengers use the station nearest to their home, unless that station is overcrowded. Does that apply to destinations, i.e. passengers go to the station nearest to their destination building unless it is overcrowded?
V813
Simutrans newbie.

prissi

Yes, if only overcrowded stations are found => no route