News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

New Industry Graphics

Started by wlindley, December 03, 2012, 01:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

how about modelling land value?

Industries tend to congregate to places with low land value, and therefore low land ownership taxes

say for example...

pax station coverage = +3
freight only station coverage = -2
next to high speed road = -1
next to rail = -1
next to industry = -1
next to factory industry = -2
next to attraction = +2
etc.

production factories should prefer zero, intermediate factories/industries should prefer negatives, while commerce and residences should prefer positives.
dat files should not need any additional values, as the values could be derived from a preset list.
Presumably, one could just reuse the code for station coverage to tally up land value.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

kierongreen

What I mean is there are other things I'm concentrating on right now. One step at a time.

jamespetts

The important thing as far as industries are concerned is to be able to have their suppliers and customers well connected; what needs to be modelled for industry generation, in other words, is success rates for goods transport to neighbouring industries (except for primary industries, which locate on the basis of resources).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Latest graphics - early and modern versions of the Builder's Yard. Fairly simple...

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

An art deco style car dealership for the 1920s...

jamespetts

Very nice - I like that! One can imagine gentlemen in brimmed hats and floppy hair buying sports cars and being thrilled that they can go all of 45mph...

greenling

The Hood
the photo from the Shop looks very good out.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Milko

WOW!

Thanks The Hood!

Giuseppe

kierongreen

Is the lighting setup the same for that factory as other buildings? The contrast left/right doesn't seem as much as usual...

The Hood

It certainly doesn't does it - I hadn't noticed. I'll double check but I can't think why it would be any different...

EDIT: further inspection reveals the cause - a bug in the render script - http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=12451.new#new

I've no idea how many recent graphics are affected by the bug. Please report any that look dodgy (only 2/8 rotations were affected) and we can fix.

The Hood

Some more graphics - two earlier versions of the cement works:

Also some more graphics for china and clothes shops, but these are similar to existing types so no screenshots...

@wlindley - any progress on the old car factory? I've skipped doing this one because I know you'd half finished it.

jamespetts

wlindley

Quote from: The Hood on September 01, 2013, 08:40:07 PM
@wlindley - any progress on the old car factory? I've skipped doing this one because I know you'd half finished it.

Funny you ask, I had just picked up work on the 1860s Pharmaceutical factory and finally added snow images, still having a few alignment issues, but I'll see if I can't get that and the 1910 car factory up to preview status at least.  At some point, when the dat files can repeat images without embedding them twice, there will be a really good reason for the module approach, but it's important with the car factory as I will be making at least two ranges for 1910s (Model T) and 1920s (Austin Seven).  I might even do an 1860s version with horse-drawn coaches (in the United States, the Studebaker company was one of a few who made the transition from wagons to automobiles; not sure if that would be prototypical for Britain).

The Hood

Sounds perfect. I'd like to include those regardless of whether we ever get "modular" buildings implemented. I'll also avoid doing pharm factory graphics as well then.

Next up - early coal power station, loosely modelled on Deptford - the original high voltage power station.

jamespetts

The Hood

And some early mines, coal and iron ore...

jamespetts

Those are delightful! They do capture the spirit of the early industrial revolution rather splendidly.

wlindley

jamespetts

Very nice! I can just imagine them churning out vast quantities of carbolic smoke balls...

The Hood

greenling

Hello
The new factory rocks me. :thumbsup:
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

Time for some more effort on factory graphics. Here's a modern coal mine - much larger than the existing older mines, on the basis that modern mines are larger to get economies of scale, and small ones look a bit daft next to long freight trains:

jamespetts

The Hood

Some more:

Above road L-R: furniture shops (victorian & deco), dairies (modern & early)
Below road L-R: furniture factories (early, modern)

jamespetts

kierongreen

Excellent - is that meant to be ivy on the early furniture factory? Looks like you might want to increase the roughness of it is so (or turn down specularity) as seem quite bright at the moment...

The Hood

Good spot - I'd accidentally removed a darker green texture when removing the winter snow texture.

The Hood

jamespetts

A windmill! I have wanted a windmill in the pakset for a long time.

I forget now - is there a way of getting animated industry graphics? If so, the windmill would be the perfect candidate.

Sarlock

An animated windmill would indeed be lovely.

And yes, you can add animations to industry graphics.  I did that for my Simutrans Fried Chicken outlet (though the pak.Britain one isn't animated).
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

kierongreen

The Hood

I've added some animation so that the windmill rotates 22.5 degrees every 1/2 second. It's a little jerky so maybe more rotations would improve it, but that would require 8 sets of images not 4. Test it and see when I release it.

Also, a modern hardware factory and more variety of hardware shops:

jamespetts

Delightful, although the image on the right is an under construction graphic...

The Hood

Clicked screenshot too quickly.. Here it is with an iron ore mine and a newsagent (on a roll this morning!)