News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[0.8.4] "Puffing Billy" won't go

Started by asaphxiix, December 04, 2012, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

Hello,

It's 1813 in the multiplayer game and the first locomotive, "Puffing Billy" is out. However, it won't leave the station and get on the plateway, claiming no route can be found. A horse loco can drive it.

Thanks

jamespetts

Ahh, actually, this is realistic: when "Puffing Billy" was first built, it was found to be far too heavy for any tracks that existed at the time, and it was a year or two before tracks that could take it were invented. So, hold onto your locomotives and wait for improved track...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

nice :)

however I think there's a problem with the "too heavy" message. It doesn't display. I'll open another thread in the dev forum.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on December 04, 2012, 09:34:19 PM
Ahh, actually, this is realistic: when "Puffing Billy" was first built, it was found to be far too heavy for any tracks that existed at the time, and it was a year or two before tracks that could take it were invented. So, hold onto your locomotives and wait for improved track...
I think this might take realism a bit too far, thinking of new players. "a new vehicle has been invented, but we're not sure what to do with it yet..."

jamespetts

Hmm - that's a difficult one. Which bit does one make unrealistic - the introduction date of the locomotive (which is well-known), or the introduction date of the better ways...?

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on December 04, 2012, 09:34:19 PM
Ahh, actually, this is realistic: when "Puffing Billy" was first built, it was found to be far too heavy for any tracks that existed at the time, and it was a year or two before tracks that could take it were invented.
Trevithick had had ruinous problems with inadequate track back in the early 1800s, but "Puffing Billy" was sufficiently useful despite track problems that the owners (Wylam Colliery) had another nearly identical one made the following year, "Wylam Dilly".  The most realistic compromise, though not one that I think is supported by Simutrans as it stands, would probably be to allow it to run on the understrength track at reduced speed.

Best wishes,
Matthew