News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Industry list/details window - Looking for ideas

Started by ucho, December 07, 2012, 11:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucho

Recently I was playing on large map with high industry density and I find it hard to find which factories to connect. I tried to split factory status into 2 separate indicators for input and output:

As you can see it ended looking very confusing and not really usefull :/ I hope someone has a better idea of how it could be improved. On the other hand adding indicators to details window worked quite well:

(bars are directly linked to amount of goods in storage)

If someone has an idea how to fit more information in Simutrans GUI I would love to see it :)

prissi

For a normal game you wopuld not end like that without crossconnect all. But then then connections does not matter. If this is the result of a normal game, then something in the industry code is wrong.

TurfIt

This looks quite interesting.  :thumbsup:
Care to post up a patch so we can see how this looks 'live' ?

Quote from: prissi on December 08, 2012, 12:05:06 AM
If this is the result of a normal game, then something in the industry code is wrong.
I see this far too often in normal games. I usually set crossconnect_factories_percentage down to 10 to help tame it...

prissi

Hmm, the industry code should not attempt to connect to oversibscribe factories. Maybe this check is no longer up to date.

TurfIt

Could be. Just connect to any of the online games and take a look. Bloody mess IMHO...

Ters

I have some industries that have lots of suppliers like this. Their factory windows a are sometimes too large to fit on a screen 1080 pixels high. Fortuanately there is a button that compacts the window more than normal, because the resize handle is way outside the screen. In pak64, consumers of timber seem most vulnerable to this, with oil consumers on second place.

ucho

Quote from: prissi on December 08, 2012, 12:05:06 AM
For a normal game you wopuld not end like that without crossconnect all. But then then connections does not matter. If this is the result of a normal game, then something in the industry code is wrong.
Actually I generated the map with crossconnect_factories_percentage = 66 (instead of default 33%) but I don't think it is important. With large maps (I am using 400x400) and high industry density ( I increased it until random factory creator started to hang) the lists will be very long and the is nothing wrong with industry code.
The way "crossconnect_factories_percentage" currently works is: connect factory if we aren't oversubscribed _or_ simrand(100) < crossconnect_factories_percentage . Even with default settings a map with 10 sawmills and 50 tree plantations will have each sawmill connected to 21 forests(5 "normal" +15 from crossconnect).

Quote from: TurfIt on December 08, 2012, 12:07:47 AM
Care to post up a patch so we can see how this looks 'live' ?

https://github.com/lstosik/simutrans/commit/468045e87c24fbebae09510850f96a799bbf83d5

Quote from: Ters on December 08, 2012, 09:29:58 AM
Their factory windows a are sometimes too large to fit on a screen 1080 pixels high. In pak64, consumers of timber seem most vulnerable to this, with oil consumers on second place.
It is same in pak128. I was thinking about making per ware sections collapsible but that won't be any help for sawmills. Maybe suppliers should be displayed in two columns?

Ters

I don't think there should be that many. Going through them all to see if there is a nice potential for a route takes too much time.

Fabio

I believe the problem is forests producing way too few wood.
For 10 saw mills I wouldn't have more than 20 forests, hence increasing 2.5x forest production could do the trick.

greenling

Thank you Fabio that you that problem with forests speak on that a to low production rates have.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!