News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Network Diagram Tool

Started by yorkeiser, January 31, 2011, 03:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonjo

Here is the release test of my previous modification:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simuMapViewer0.3.1.vonjo.zip

Quote from: Vonjo on March 24, 2012, 09:07:19 AM
I did some small update:
- Added save to PNG.
- Automatically load selected savegame file (no need to press Load/Reload button).
- All lines deselected/hidden by default.

Other changes:
- Removed BrowseGUI class and replaced it with shorter code.
- Removed ColorGUI class and replaced it with shorter code.

Milko

Hello

Beautiful!
Just an info. The external version will remain or will be abandoned in favor of the integrated one?

Giuseppe

yorkeiser

@Milko: it depends on the community's interest. I can always use my programs; if others are interested, I can publish them also for others ;)
And in addiction, you can refer also to Vonjo for the external version, he's already well-worked on it: until no one makes money on the code (and I don't see how to make money with this), everyone is free to modify and compile his version, or ask for changes on the "official" version.
I think external version will stay alive for a while, because actually I don't know if train graph functionality can be implemented internally without affecting performance, but i also think that using only xml savings can seriously affect its usefulness, if you can have an internal version that does the same thing.

Fabio

I split the posts about integration in Simutrans.

We can continue here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=6760.new

This thread will remain for external tool discussion.

hreintke

LS,

The link to the latest (0.3) version is not working. Is the tool relocated to another location or renamed ?

Herman

yorkeiser

Maybe the link expired, I uploaded version 0.3.1 from Vonjo (with lines disabled by default, you must enable them by clicking on "toggle lines" button) here:

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simuMapViewer0.3.1.zip

hreintke

yorkeiser,

Thx, The link is working (again). Downloaded the latest version and will use/see this evening.

Herman

yorkeiser

Herman, you're welcome.
Before using it, in order to avoid corrupting any savegame, please read carefully instructions here:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9514.msg88596#msg88596

Cheers

Vonjo

Well, I love this tool. I still use this as a sve viewer. So I can see the map and lines without launching simutrans or without installing simutrans/pakset. I also have some ideas to improve this tool.

The problem is, just like yorksier said, the savegame format. The xml format is so large. It can takes several hundred MB or even GB for a heavily developed game. it also takes time to load and save. For example, try to save the current Jamespetts' server game in xml format, you will know what I mean. And there is no easy way to read the ASCII format (or "binary format") of the savegame.

Maybe we should try to compress the xml format with several compression method/format, and find out which one produce the smallest file size. Then we can try to implement the compression in simutrans, so simutrans can load and save it compressed.

Václav

I would like to ask you for re-uploading this tool somewhere because link seems be empty (broken) - regardless of it is (partly) merged into the game. Or you may send it on my e-mail.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

yorkeiser

Hi Vaclav, I reupload it with no link expiration:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simuMapViewer0.3.1.zip

This WOULD have to be the last version with vonjo's updates and last bug fixes; I don't maintain the external tool since I worked on the internal line plotter, so I hope it runs... On the contrary, tell me and I'll put together another version.

Václav

Thanks.

Tested - on probably the largest map (I currently play - and with quite huge number of lines). And it runs quite good - but I have few ideas for possible future improves:

1. better handling of character sets
2. only lines selected in toggle lines dialogue will be (automatically) in output form

yorkeiser

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on August 09, 2012, 05:42:30 AM
1. better handling of character sets
2. only lines selected in toggle lines dialogue will be (automatically) in output form

Hi Vaclav, you're welcome. Related to your requests:
1. I know internationalization could be a problem, mainly for people not using standard latin characters (as for eastern european people: are you czech, isn't it?). If you upload a savegame where you found the issue I can give it a look; with italian citylists and character set I can't see the problem.
2. I didn't understand, lines selected on the toggle panel would already be the only ones displayed on the map...

Václav

Quote from: yorkeiser on August 10, 2012, 11:45:36 PM
1. I know internationalization could be a problem, mainly for people not using standard latin characters (as for eastern european people: are you czech, isn't it?). If you upload a savegame where you found the issue I can give it a look; with italian citylists and character set I can't see the problem.
Yes, I am Czech.

2. I didn't understand, lines selected on the toggle panel would already be the only ones displayed on the map...
Displaying on the map window is OK - but still, all lines are in list of exported lines (below map window).

Here are links to
save
addon graphics

I had to do that in this way due to xml format save was too large (about 910 MB) and something was going wrong. So I hope you will change tool for processing compressed xml saves soon, too.

1. Simply click on Stáhnout, rewrite text from picture to form below and then click on Stáhnout again.
2. I hope that names of files are sufficient for instructions.

... I hope this will help you ... not only with change of tool :)