News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

RFC - track reservation during reversing

Started by asaphxiix, January 04, 2013, 02:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

I don't know if this is intentional, but I see trains reserving track in the terminus (choose signal) as they are reversing. This causes delays, as no more than one train can enter the station during the reversing. Can/should this be changed?

jamespetts

I am not familiar with the "RFC" initialism - do you mean "request for clarification" or is this a mis-spelling of "RC" for "release candidate"?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

sorry, it's Request for Change

I thought it was familiar :)

jamespetts

Ahh - so this is present in 10.18?

What is the significance of the choose signal here?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

asaphxiix

yes, in 10.18 as well.

Double track coming to a two platform end station, with a choose signal: first train goes into the right hand platform. There's no wait for load time, so it starts reversing immediately (you have educated that the loading duration is contained (overlap) in the reversing duration, which is very cool).
Another train comes to the station, but she can't go into the unoccupied left hand platform (as expected, due to the choose signal), but rather has to wait at the choose signal till the first train finishes reversing, only then enter, since the passage to the left hand side (between the choose signal and the platform) is reserved by the first train.

So I would expect the tracks not to be reserved, and the second train to be able to enter the left hand platform while the first train is still reversing.

Not sure if this is plausible (may require too much code change), and anyway, not an urgent issue, but still somewhat important to me (I believe the delays in the end station make quite a bit of a difference in the average speed, at least for a short line).

jamespetts

Hmm - will look into this when I get home. Thank you for highlighting this issue.

AP

Intereting to note that asaphxiix apparently uses right-hand running for railways... not the pak-gb way! :-p

asaphxiix

yeah i know... I tried changing, but old habits die hard i guess...