News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Cross-Company Connections

Started by dannyman, January 09, 2013, 11:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyman

I recently tried a game of Simutrans Standard where I made multiple companies each focused on a different region.  I make public stops for stations where multiple companies could exchange pax and goods.

Then I noticed "walking" and I wondered:

1) In Simutrans Standard, will pax connect between lines by walking from one station to another station nearby?  (Train Station to local Trolley company to Train Station on another railroad)

1.1) Would the stations need to be adjacent, or might they walk within the catchment area?

2) Does this apply to goods / mail?

I just started a similar game in Experimental, and I see the players can give permissions to each other to use ways and stations.  That seems interesting.

Even for solo play, the option to play with multiple companies in turn is fun, because you can focus on a smaller piece of the pie at any given time.  Different companies can have different philosophies &c, based on their respective constraints.  So, you play with one, let it run for awhile, play with another: it is like playing multiple games of Simutrans in one.  Like reading chapters within a larger book rather than individual little stories.

-danny

prissi

Walking transfers are experimental extra only. In standard the choice is that if you want seperate stations deliberately to prevent transfers, you can built them.

To interchange in standard, you can make your stations public.

Ters

The graph for "Walked" seems to be omitted in the help text. I've forgotten what it was for.

Fifty

IIRC it's the number of pax etc whose destination and origin are within the same station's coverage area.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

AP

The thing with walking transfers in experimental, is that you can't prevent them from happening. If two networks happen to have a stop of any type with overlapping radii, then passengers will interchange (even in unusual/unexpected places, unless there's a better one). Only happen with passengers, obviously.

dannyman

Ters: I believe that in Standard, "walked" is pax walking from beyond the station area.  Basically, the city has grown since you built the line, and you should consider building the next station out before pax get fed up and stay home / ride a competitor.

TurfIt

Quote from: Fifty on January 10, 2013, 04:58:41 PM
IIRC it's the number of pax etc whose destination and origin are within the same station's coverage area.
^^^ is correct.

Ters

Quote from: TurfIt on January 10, 2013, 07:45:57 PM
^^^ is correct.

It sounds familiar, too. But it's clear that the purpose behind this graph isn't well known and can easily be misunderstood, so it should be mentioned in the help text.

Fabio

Walking behavior could be enabled in standard with an "accept walking transfer" toggle option (disabled by default or defaulting to a simuconf setting) in stop dialog.

greenling

Hello
I riddle what the botton to walk in the Stationwindow by simutrans Standart for work have.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

dannyman

So ... really, you shouldn't be able to disable passengers from walking between stations.  (Well, unless you were simulating Cold War Berlin or something.)  I guess the reason this is disabled in Standard is because the routing algorithms in Standard would allow for passengers to make silly / unintuitive choices, whereas this is enabled in Experimental, where passengers try to factor in trip speed and comfort into their routing.

This is just to say, I don't see the point in making this a player-controlled option, but leave it as a documented aspect of the game engine's routing mechanism.  "If you are playing Standard, make interchange stations public."

Fabio

Walking transfers could be penalized adding 2 transfers to the route (i.e. From line A to foot and from foot to line B) and this could favor direct transfers in a common station.

jamespetts

I should note two things: firstly, passengers do not factor in their comfort in routing choices in Experimental: comfort is used only for revenue calculation. This is because a multi-factorial routing calculation would probably be too computationally intensive. Secondly, the walking passenger feature can be disabled in Experimental by a simuconf.tab setting.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.