News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Simupak Explorer

Started by Ters, August 05, 2012, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

Notice:
The name of the project was changed 2013-06-10 to Simupak Explorer to avoid confusion/conflict with other products, primarily within the Simutrans community, but also outside it. This name seems unused inside the googlable universe, and hopefully also outside it.

In case anyone is interested, here's the source code for what I call PakViewer, version 1.1. Java 7 SDK and Gradle 1.0 is required to build it, and Java 7 is also required to run it. Other dependencies will be downloaded automatically by Gradle (Internet connectivity also required during build). The command "gradle run" will build and run the program, while "gradle installApp" will create a directory (that can be moved to a more suitable location) containing everything needed to run the program and some batch scripts to launch the program.

As stated elsewhere earlier, I won't be providing a binary release as it is too much work for me to fullfill the license requirements for that.

To inspect a pak set, open the pak set directory (with the pak files, not the source dats). If the pak sets lie in the simutrans directory, the main simuconf.tab will be loaded automatically. This can also be done manually, but there isn't much that needs simuconf.tab anyway.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pakviewer-1.1.zip

greenling

Ters
I have a problem!
I can Grandle not install!I Have a Windows 7 64bit and not a mac. ::'(
Version 1.1. Java 7 SDK have i not on my computer. ::'(
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Ters

I also have Windows 7 64-bit, and I don't see how Gradle is harder to install on Windows than on Mac. I would almost have expected the opposite. Command line experience should be required either way.

greenling

Ters
Can you step by step declare how i Install and start gradle?
I am the it correctly.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Ters

There's instructions at gradle.org (Getting started). I can't do any better than that.

greenling

Ters
The Install guide on gradle.org have i not understand.
My english it not the best!

Ters

Then I certainly won't do any better. It'll be confusion both ways.

Ters

Inspired by a report tool made by someone else, I've begun adding HTML report generation to PakViewer. It doesn't have the same good looks or interactive sorting for the time being. Another difference is that this report is generated from the pak files, not the dat files, so it works on closed sourced pak sets as well. I also try to keep PakViewer synchronized with the pak loading in Simutrans, so it should understand all format versions Simutrans can load (very old building formats are currently not implemented).

I've put up a demo from pak64+food+waste (hence M in the revision number) on http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pak64_html-report.zip There might be some bugs.

prissi

Good type and capacity might be also requested. Otherwise great tool, espeically for building automated overviews for paksets.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on January 28, 2013, 03:25:43 PM
Good type and capacity might be also requested. Otherwise great tool, espeically for building automated overviews for paksets.

In the vehicle list? Sure. It's far from complete. I don't think I want to list all possible goods there, though.

EDIT:
New update with sorting, vehicle timeline bars, the columns prissi mentioned and slightly better looks for the tables: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pak64_html-report_2.zip

Ters

I've added a list of factories, factory pages showing suppliers and consumers, and details page for goods showing vehicles, producers and consumers. This reveals the two "hidden" factories in pak64 (I'm not thinking of those from the food or waste add-ons also included in this report). The factory details page contains some cryptic information, and probably lacks some other stuff.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pak64_html-report_3.zip

VS

Nice output :) I like what you do with these!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Ters

Another update: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pak64_html-report_4.zip

Names are now translated using the English translation.

SaschaP

Hey,

I really would like to have a binary version for Windows 7 32 bit, because the "getting started" of this program is really nothing! They are not saying, where to install, how and so on... especially not how on a Windows pc and i must say, that I boycott programs, that stick on Mac OS Usern.

I mean, for what do we have all java on the computer, if not for sharing the binaries?

but a question, does this programm also view the new versions of pak128german correctly? on the old 0.4 version you get always funny properties, like "1000km/h" speed

mfg sascha

Ters

Unfortunately, I consider it too much work to fulfil the demands of the licenses of some 3rd party libraries for a binary release. I could do a binary release of PakViewer itself and let the end-users hunt down the libraries themselves, but that's hardly any easier than just compiling themselves. I also need to review the license for PakViewer itself before a new source release, but reading legaleese not something I look forward to.

Quote from: SaschaP on February 22, 2013, 09:36:39 PM
but a question, does this programm also view the new versions of pak128german correctly? on the old 0.4 version you get always funny properties, like "1000km/h" speed
I have no idea. All I've ever used is pak64.

Ters

I've made some hacks to PakViewer that allows it to run without the libraries with the most complicated licenses, albeit without a few features. The features should automatically spring back to life once the required libraries are put in the lib directory (file name including version number must match, or the batch file must be edited assuming no API changes).

That leaves only various variants of BSD and MIT licenses, plus Apache License 2.0. I think and hope this binary release complies with these licenses now. It's surprisingly hard to find good examples on how to comply with these.

I've uploaded such a light binary release of PakViewer 1.2 at http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pakviewer-gui-1.2.zip (It is also light because at 1.2 MB, it is 1/8 of a theoretical full binary distribution.) The "gui" in the file name means that this does not include the html report generator, which I've not managed to decouple from LGPL libraries, and because Gradle doesn't have a built in way of generating a zip with more than one program in it.

SaschaPascalS

Hey, do you have the Pakviewer1.2 Version, because I had a headcrash, so I lost the downloaded Pakviewer-1.2 :(

Ters

I don't usually delete stuff, but I can't find any pakviewer 1.2 lying around.

Ters

I figured that I might as well release PakViewer 1.3. There hasn't been much development lately, but there is one new features since 1.2, plus one important improvement and a lesser one.

The new feature is the validation tool. Intended for pak authors, it reports constraints and dates that don't seem to add up. Some of the things it reports are not necessarily errors, but the program can't know.

The important improvement is that the building composer now allows you to view all layouts in all seasons. The lesser improvement is displaying the new clustering property for normal buildings in Simutrans 112.3. I hope I understood how the data is represented.

There is also another hidden feature of sorts for a basic listing of a single pak file, but there is no way to get at it without launching it manually, which is a lot of hassle.

Get it at http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pakviewer-gui-1.3.zip (for those of you that still have to count the bytes you download, pakviewer is now at 3.58 MB due to huge dependency for validation tool)

Spenk009

The links for the Simupak Explorer are offline. Could someone post an attached copy or a fresher link?

Edit: Found the tools instead. (http://hd.simutrans.com/tools/)

Ters

Quote from: Spenk009 on September 11, 2014, 06:34:57 AM
Edit: Found the tools instead. (http://hd.simutrans.com/tools/)

They are not in any way comparable. There are other things kind of like Simupak Explorer, but it's not these that you have linked to.

Quote from: Spenk009 on September 11, 2014, 06:34:57 AM
The links for the Simupak Explorer are offline. Could someone post an attached copy or a fresher link?

simutrans-germany.com/files is for temporary storage only (setting a long, or infinite, expiration time is possible, but feels like abuse). Due to licensing issues, I have to do some manual amputation of the full application before doing a release (unless you're familiar with Java development and only want the source). I haven't been actively maintainling Simupak Explorer this year, so it may not be compatible with the latest pak file format. If you're really interested in analyzing a pak set, I might upload something this weekend. Although it has a feature for predicting vehicle profitability, it is as a whole rather technical in how it presents the data.