News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Winning the weird planning competition

Started by An_dz, February 07, 2014, 04:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

gfurst and jamespetts "competed" on the weird urban planning in some cities here.

So let me show my city:

Two more in another city in my State: img1 - img2

Ters

I don't think I can compete with that, because nothing here ever gets past the planning stage. You seem to have the opposite problem.

Lmallet

Reminds me of a Canadian example.

It took months before the electric company removed the pole...

ӔO

The King St, Paradise Rd, Dundurn St and Main St junction.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=hamilton&ll=43.261144,-79.89526&spn=0.00693,0.011812&client=firefox-a&hnear=Hamilton,+Hamilton+Division,+Ontario&t=h&z=17

If you want to get off the highway and onto Dundurn St, but still head in the same relative direction, you need to weave through 4 lanes of traffic.
Likewise for getting on the highway from Dundurn.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Lmallet

Quote from: ӔO on February 08, 2014, 02:47:26 AM
The King St, Paradise Rd, Dundurn St and Main St junction.

I got lost there once looking for a gas station.  :)

Ters

As for having trouble getting from one road to another, although there is nothing urban about it: I grew up near something that looked like a type of grade separated junction common in the area (though I can't find the type on Wikipedia), but wasn't. The bridge was simply the accessway to the small cluster of houses where I lived. A few drivers have managed to both ignore the dead-end sign and the much lower road standard until they reached the deepest end. It was impressive that trucks with trailers managed to get through the two narrow 90 degree bends without tearing down the railing, and more impressive that they manged to get back out. A car with a caravan is difficult enough. (Although, at times, trucks with (semi-)trailers have come that way on purpose.) I don't think this has happened since a new, bigger sign telling drivers that the road does not pass up and over the bridge was put up.

Spacethingy

Apparently it happened in my town several decades ago that the council wanted a road greatly widened in town - unfortunately, they passed over the fact that it was an avenue, making an interesting slalom course... [/potential_urban_myth]
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.