News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Berlin Wall - graffiti competition

Started by ny911, February 04, 2013, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ny911

The Berlin wall was painted on the West Berlin side in bright colors. These graffiti were often an expression of protest against this wall, which was teared down in November 1989 by the citizens of East and West.

For the scenario "Berlin 1961 - ' Simutrans player, tear down this wall!' " graffiti pictures are needed.
Any graffiti must be made for two views. It may be a Simutrans-related ideas, free art, as well as real templates (see search engines) of the Berlin wall graffiti. Defamation, politically incorrect, historically incorrect, offensive or morally dubious contributions are ignored.

The file graffiti.zip (78 Kbytes) contains a template graphic and necessary DAT file to create your own graffiti PAK. Likewise, a savegame for the graphics test (in Simutrans the graffiti is a track signal).

For making plots simply paint over the second row of the images in the png file. The red areas in the first row are used as an auxiliary mark, shortly as the maximum area for the graffiti.

May the competition for the best graffiti begin!

Source: "Simutrans-Player, tear down this wall" is a reference to the speech, "Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" the 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan on 12 June 1987 in Berlin.

Raiser

Hi, very creative idea! there is a graffiti template from Fabio/mEGa. Look at this thread:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10694.0

I will make a own graffiti the next days.

Cheers!

ny911

Thanks. Here is the graffiti of Fabio/mEGa in the 128 graphic gaffiti wall system.

dennosius

I tried to use the probably most well known graffiti. I don't understand how to compose dat files yet, so here's just the graphics.

Raiser

ny911

thanks Dennosius!

QuoteI don't understand how to compose dat files yet, so here's just the graphics.
I'm fine with "just the graphics". See attached the new berlin_wall_graffiti.png

To Compose dat files in this case:
You only need to replace the filename in the graffiti.dat at  lines 88 and 89 and the first number after the filename "1" in each line to "0" to use your graffiti. Save the file. To make a PAK use the comandline 'MakeObj PAK128 graffiti.pak graffiti.dat'.

Dwachs

dennosius: really great work! I was going to suggest this particular Breshnew / Honecker graffitti :)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

sdog

weren't those graffiti typical for the 80s? In 1961 it was built.

here's a picture of the western face of the berlin wall, in Kreuzberg, in 1980.
http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/cross-search/search/_1360267631/?search[view]=detail&search[focus]=1

Graffiti at that time are just grafiti in the original sense of scribblings, not murals or large sized tags etc.

In 1984 even the graffiti on Bethaniendamm were less colourful, what ended in museums after 1989 was painted above this:
http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/cross-search/search/_1360268137/

ny911

sdog: well, you are right and the bundesarchiv.de is a very usefull page. The problem in the scenario is, that it isn't possible in the moment to build new graffiti with the graffiti player in the script. The result: I have to place all graffiti from 1961 to 1989 at the first day to save the map.

Using separate timeline for the graffiti will be a great extension for the script.  It may be usefull if we place to every graffiti a separate intro_year to use it later for a in-game change of the wall graffiti!

dennosius

I think that many of the 'famous' wall gaffitis are even post-revolution, although graffitis on the western side of the wall became common in the 80s when the wall was renewed.

Actually, the kiss between Honecker and Breshnew must have been around 1980 and I think Breshnew wasn't even soviet leader when the wall was first built. But noone would expect full historic accuracy.

I've attached another graffiti. It's also a well known motive. I added the banana in the middle to avoid the salient in the main motives. Does that look okay or does the banana disturb the picture?

@ny911
Can you provide the wall source file? Because the wall really doesn't look like the Berlin wall. The Berlin wall was white, had no salients, and a different top. I'd try to make a more accurate wall, if you like. Found it already.

ny911

QuoteI've attached another graffiti. ...  or does the banana disturb the picture?
For me it's okay.

The Berlin_1961_v02.pak source files: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/berlin_1961_dat_png.zip (637 kByte)

sdog

When the scenario is running until 1989, the graffiti is most appropriate, and will make the scenario stand out!

didn't want to be a spoil sport :-(

@dennosius: Peel slowly and see!

ny911

sdog: well, the first part - with the wall and graffiti - of the scenario is running until 1989, there is still more  to do in this scenario. Like in real Berlin  ;D !

dennosius: for a more realistic wall please use the same height, so that the graffiti fit. To save time, we don't realy need slop-tiles, Berlin is flat.

prissi

If one want to be very realistic, one would have to have at least hree different wall types; especially in the north of berlin, the old wall stood for quite some time, and in the forest there were sometime only a fence. Grafitty only become common in the later 80ies, and was 99.5% just ugly scribbles "tags". The only exception are probably Kreuzberg, where there were more artists around ...

sdog

Quote from: ny911 on February 08, 2013, 11:18:30 AM
dennosius: for a more realistic wall please use the same height, so that the graffiti fit. To save time, we don't realy need slop-tiles, Berlin is flat.
With the exception of the terrain step you need for bodies of water. You probably need something to close that gap.

Another suggestion for building the wall: Build the wall not in the centre of the tile, but near the edge, you need empty space on the eastern side for the "death zone".

ny911

Quotenot in the centre of the tile, but near the edge, you need empty space
please not! There is also a  "death zone" at the west side. It is easier to illustrate this through various track types.

QuoteIf one want to be very realistic, one would have to have at least hree different wall types; especially in the north of berlin, the old wall stood for quite some time, and in the forest there were sometime only a fence. Grafitty only become common in the later 80ies, and was 99.5% just ugly scribbles "tags". The only exception are probably Kreuzberg, where there were more artists around
Well, therfore we need a construction tool for the script to change it during the game. I will look to place the best graffiti near to Kreuzberg.

mEGa

Another real graffiti : "Trabant car" running through the wall
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

dennosius

@mEGa
Great! I was trying to do this, but I didn't manage to get the Trabant sharp/visible.

@ny911
I've attached an example of how the Wall could look like. It's only one view so far, I have to learn how to get the other views in Google Sketchup and deal with antialiasing - and then, aligning everything exactly, those are my first steps in addon-creation :) Anyway, do you like the style?

ny911

Quote from: dennosius on February 09, 2013, 10:18:41 AM
Anyway, do you like the style?
It looks great! And as I didn't make a mistake it's huge enough to fit the graffiti, better there is more space for it.
We have to see how it looks like on the ground in the game. I'm not sure, but it may have too much movement in the upper part.

dennosius

Quote from: ny911 on February 09, 2013, 12:37:54 PM
I'm not sure, but it may have too much movement in the upper part.

You mean the dirt texture? That's from an actual photo of the wall, but I also already thought to make it a bit less visible by reducing contrast or adding transparency (there's a plain grey background the texture) .

dennosius

So here's my 'beta version' of the Berlin Wall. Still without slope parts (those are complicated) and I'll have to rework some parts and pixels to fit better. But this is how it could look like.

ny911

dennosius: great work! looks realy good and realistic.

The graffiti will fit, they need only to be placed two or three pixel higher, thats easy.

Attached new the graffiti template

Tazze

I tried to make some graffiti.
Thanks of your good template, I could made them.
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/TZ_graffiti.zip

I don't understand about the size yet. Are they big?
And past one of them.

ny911

Quote from: Tazze on September 18, 2013, 07:24:06 AM
I tried to make some graffiti.
Thanks of your good template, I could made them.
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/TZ_graffiti.zip

I don't understand about the size yet. Are they big?
And past one of them.
Amazing, 32 graffiti !!!! Thank's a lot. Also for the "simutrans_lover" graffiti.
I have tested three, the size is perfect for the new wall.
Tazze: Is there a special reason for the two jgeg files between the png files?

Tazze

Oh,sorry,just I forgot to change the format.
But, that's good!

ny911

Tazze:
Some of the graffiti (e.g. Berlin, Beryln, Simutrans) are mirrored for the left part. Particularly in the areas of writing, this looks ugly and isn't readable. Is it possible to make it mirrored again/correct? (Excuse my meticulous inquiry)

Tazze

Thank you for the point out. Don't worry,I can fix it.
But, when I talk with my calendar ,I noticed that I don't have time to do it soon.
So,wait to 25 or 24 November.

Tazze

Done!

Tazze

Hi, I finished the fix. I'm going to upload from now.
To be continue...

Tazze

part2/3

Tazze

part3/3
A graffiti was changed, because 2 same image was included :P and add some graffiti.
That's all. I depend on your decision whether use or not thank you.