News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Shading for Pak64.USA

Started by Packer, February 20, 2013, 07:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Packer

I'm stuck at an impass with progression on the set.

I've been considering what to do next as far as shading. Pak64.USA has been using reversed shading, but I think it may be time to change that.

So far only the industries, some city buildings, terrain tiles and the trains are done this way. Since the guy I was working with on road vehicles (he was making a US-themed set for TTD/OTTD and I was doing some graphics. I was going to re-use them for this) has dropped the project. Whis is why I've been thinking about this.

Leaving Pak64.USA's shading the way it is, I still have to do almost everything over (tunnels, bridges, airport stuff, etc.) If I change it, I really only need to change the trains and a few buildings. And it becomes easier to incorprate new additions. But then there are several thousand (maybe several hundred) sprites that need to be changed either way... ugh

So I'm leaving this desiscion to the players that still use this set (if any remian). I'll give it a couple of weeks before I decide, but the poll will let me see what the popular direction is.
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

The Hood

My advice from creating pak128.Britain:
- get a playable set released asap - it generates interest and support. I voted for you to prioritise on this for this reason.
- anything which you can borrow from other paksets is a good thing if it fits in with the graphical style. No point reinventing the wheel. Bridges and ways are the most tedious of the lot - so if reversing your vehicle shading is enough to make all the graphics consistent, then I suggest eventually flipping all the sprites and just reusing existing graphics. It's probably the lesser of two evils and you could possible even automate a lot of it if you can code (or convince someone else to?)

VS

How is the current shading set up? If light comes from "right bottom" of screen (TTD-style), then flipping all vehicle images left-right and reshuffling so that they are used for correct direction will fix that. I think you can safely ignore different sun ray angles, once you correct the general direction.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Packer

I *could* flip the rail vehicles, but then some would be wrong. I.E. the elevated walkway on the AC4400CW is on the left, but flipping it would put it on the right.

The Hood, Thanks for the advice, especially from another creator. So far it is *playable* as it is, but it still uses the default busses/trucks, planes, and ships. Guess I'll work on busses/trucks and trams tomorrow.

VS, the current shading is TTD style.
The Pack is back!!

An_dz

I'm with The Hood, make it playable, create drawing rules and then start fixing the issues.

Packer

Thanks for the input guys. It seems all but one person (*cough*me*cough*) wants a playable pakset first...

So far industries, some city buildings, roads, and trains are done. I have some tram sprites and some road vehicle sprites done... planes, ships, and town halls will likely stay default for a while.

What would I have to do to get a sort of "blank' pakset? one with no trains, roads, buildings, industries, attractions, trams, road vehicles, etc. so I can add in US stuff? Basically one with just city halls, planes, ships, station buildings, depots, and ways (except roads)
The Pack is back!!

The Hood

Quote from: Packer on February 22, 2013, 06:00:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It seems all but one person (*cough*me*cough*) wants a playable pakset first...

Don't make it a chore - if you'd rather do it differently, that's up to you...!

So far industries, some city buildings, roads, and trains are done. I have some tram sprites and some road vehicle sprites done... planes, ships, and town halls will likely stay default for a while.

What would I have to do to get a sort of "blank' pakset? one with no trains, roads, buildings, industries, attractions, trams, road vehicles, etc. so I can add in US stuff? Basically one with just city halls, planes, ships, station buildings, depots, and ways (except roads)

Should be pretty simple if you're basing it on pak64 - download the sources from svn and delete/replace the ones you don't want. Actually when we started doing pak128.Britain we released the pak128.Britain files and a script to run which simply deleted pak128 files that weren't required.

Lmallet

I'll add to the fire.  I am not that person.  :)  But as The Hood said, it should not be a chore.

Packer

The Hood and Lmallet, I meant I was the one who voted to redo the trains first, lol. It's going to happen eventually, but I do see the point about it building intrest in the set. I figured it'd be better to go along with the players than what the creator would do..

The Hood, That's what I did for myself. I was wondering if there was a faster way.

I'm going to have to play a little bit to see if I did tracks already. I know I edited the dats (wood sleepers were bumped up to 160kmh, concrete up to 300) but I don't recall if I edited the images. That and I want to incorparate some add-ons from the japanese simutrans site (double track and elevated ways).
The Pack is back!!

VS

As an user (consumer?), I like "release early & often", since I want to be "in the loop". As an author, I am horrible at that, though...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!