News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Swiss mountains - scenario - pak128

Started by ny911, February 25, 2013, 07:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

Quote from: benste on April 04, 2013, 08:07:44 PM
>> simutrans crash (out of range)
What happens exactly? Could you post a screenshot? If simutrans crashes then this is a bug of a program, if the scripts 'crashes' then most likely it is a bug in the script.

Edit: I cannot reproduce this with a recent nightly ???
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

benste

It's a pitty that this particular bug wasn't reproducable the next day.
Anyway I've got something new which seems to be problematic ...

overcrowded stations might be a bit to complicated after all - or is it a bug ?
The following realtion (connection of lines) is not loading anything in this direction:

!!! Schaffhausen Kohle (247,54) >truck> Zürich Hafen Nord >SHIP_(RHINE_coal)> Basel >TRAIN_SNCF> Besancon
- this connection is not overcrowded and completly working but not showing as connected in neither of the two industries while all stops show valid connections and plenty of storage available

The Part in between Besancon and Basel is 99% sure working as there is freight loaded in the opposite direction. check :
(Besancon coal mine >TRAIN_SNCF> Basel >SHIP_(RHINE_coal)> Freiburg im Brsg power plant) is working all the time !

Each of the stations show as connected. Problem started to occur once the following relation was added:

Pontarlier >train> Lausanne >ship> BernSäge >train> Basel >SHIP_(RHINE_coal)> zürich_N >train> Zürich Stahlwerk

if you shortcut in between Lausanne and Zürich Nord bypassing the Bern and Basel train part as well as the RHINE coal ship line it the original RHINE shipping was working again ?

Am I simply offloading the bulk goods too many times or what's going on here ?
---
have fun experimenting - be aware that I'm not to good in free cash flow at this particular step as i had some issues that as this routing suddenly broke up trains waiting in Basel crowded the station and basicly ended up in a grid-lock in the whole norther area ...
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/swiss_mountainL2_Coal_routingFails.sve

ny911

Quote from: benste on April 09, 2013, 09:32:41 PM
It's a pitty that this particular bug wasn't reproducable the next day.

But I found - using your savegame - a other problem/bug.  Rotating the map get's wrong
Links and xy coord in the scenario window. This will effect all scenarios and will need
a new function, to rotate coordinates.

Anyway I've got something new which seems to be problematic ...
overcrowded stations might be a bit to complicated after all - or is it a bug ?
Well I was able to make a direct connect, but I didn't found the reason why id didn't work using the 'Zürich Hafen'. The only thing I noticed that you use e.g. coal and passenger transport in the same line using 67% load with month wait time off. This is making the game really difficult.

QuoteAm I simply offloading the bulk goods too many times or what's going on here ?
You can offloading it 7 times. So it's all okay on this way.

Quotehave fun experimenting - be aware that I'm not to good in free cash flow at this particular step
Don't worry about the cash flow. You didn't start earning big money with transporting steel or concrete over the alps. So, as I saw it correct you will need only two more tunnel level to start the tourist service at the skiing resorts. Good work!

benste

could you please try using the trucks to zürich hafen the ship to Basel and the existing train ?

mixed passenger and freight connections in between Basel and Bern ...
gonna replace them once that coal thing is working again. Usually I did make the schedule to have the trains waiting for a 100% of the good which is my main reason for the transport - e.g. waiting for 100% coal (and leaving earlier if a part is already filled up by passengers)

If you'll be there as well I might consider beeing on IRC late this evening

benste

it's a bug - as soon as the station at 284 / 72 is overcrowded (sure if a ship is deliving 800t of iron ore)

The whole train setup next to Zürich an Winterthur stops and also stops all connected stations from working - I'll split that into two system now.. deleting the onestation solves all the coal issues, but leaves the steel mill without ore :)

heyjonathan

Does this scenario need any updates as a result of half-height slopes?

I think that the new slopes were introduced soon after this scenario appeared.

I'm wondering if perhaps the tunnel depth calculations are off now by a factor of 2.  Playing on 112.3 (r1234) I seem to need all 6 wholesalers supplied with planks (e.g. tunnel level 2) before I can build any tunnel.

Terra-forming also now requires more clicks - and sometimes more tiles - to establish appropriate inclines for train track.  Maybe allowing a little more terra-forming from each town might be in order?

I see where to make the changes in the .nut file, but I feel like I'd be cheating making the changes before confirming that I'm actually seeing that the scenario got harder unintentionally.

Thanks!

Jonathan

benste without login

Hi Jonathan,  I've played the scenario after half height intro, it's more difficult but I think there shouldn't be any changes to the tunnel depth or max changes calculation.

But as indicated earlier the height position of some targets need to be revised as they're now too far out of the possible range even after maximum tunnel allowance

Would be great if can look into it....  I may be able to provide you a very advanced game which would allow you to understand the problem by next week

ny911

Hi Jonathan,

first post, so welcome to the simutrans forum.

I think it's wasting time to find new ranges and calculation for the map.

The first step is to generate a new half hight map.
Second, to fill it up with lakes and rivers,...

To play the old scenario with a new ST Version it might help to change the limits like benste wrote.
But I'm not sure if it will be a great deal to play.

heyjonathan

Thanks for the welcome.

I looked into it some more last night.  Correcting the target station heights was very straightforward, and along the way I think I found an easy fix to the tunnel issue as well.

I'm going to give this new version a try, and if it works like I expect, I'll post it here.

nyc911, I agree with you that it makes sense to recreate a new half-height map.  That'll be a significant bit of work, but also not particularly difficult.  I get easily distracted and wander form one project to another with many things incomplete, but I'll add this to my list of things to try someday.

Thanks.

Jonathan

benste

I aggree that it would be best if the map could be modified. Though i didnt see a need to create a completly new half height version as the old one scaled quite ok automatically, [size=78%]besides the  important issues with the lakes ... i did this during the game but i guess i did too many mondifications to the landscape for my routes so using the savegame wount help or ?[/size]

The scenario was certanly playable, my only issue is with the Zurich to Geneva Steel delivery i usually exceed the number of max. goods in transit and hence production comes to a hold until a few trains deliver ... feel free to explore and continue the attached savegame.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105616137/swiss_mountains_SoftSlope5.sve