News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Weapons as legal good

Started by Václav, March 02, 2013, 03:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

I think that weapons would be acceptable for chains for main paksets if final consumer will be museum or so - instead military objects. Because forbidden/deprecated is mostly military consumer, not weapons.

And if weapons would be determined by exact name (for example saber, sword, crossbow, bow ...) instead common name weapon, I think it could be acceptable.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Combuijs

Weapons are not produced for museums though (wish they were!), nor are they transported to museums with any regularity...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Václav

Or their consumer can be movie industry.
Movie industry needs a lot of weapons.  ;D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I think it's okay to have add-on chains for nuclear, weapons, or other topics that prove controversial for the main paks.

Václav

Thanks for support of these topics.

Ters

How much freight does the arms industry actually put out? I can't really imagine boatloads of weapons year in and year out (on Simutrans scale). Ammunition perhaps, but that's logistically something else than weapons.

Václav

Ters, nothing against your complaints ... but this topic is not about their transporting.

This topic is about searching of ways how they would be included to they could be acceptable good.

IgorEliezer

Weapons are not only for military use. Obviously the "gross" and lethal part is for military.

The other uses:
- Sport/Olympics: archery field, shooting sport (at dishes, targets etc), paintball (why not?)
- Hunting: animal hunting... me likes not D:
- Civil security: police, city guards.
- Historic/cultural uses: museums, ceremonial events.
- Collection: just because people want a sword or a katana hanging on the living room wall...
- Cinema/Art

EDIT:

Just a little detail. Saber, sword, crossbow, bow and others alike are considered cold weapon.

EDIT2:

Meh... typo. :<

ӔO

by far, the largest ownership of weapons are citizens, not military or police.

How many units are sold per year? I'm not sure, but it's probably better than cars in some areas.

related to weapons are fireworks, since they can be considered hazardous goods, which have strict shipping requirements.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

Quote from: ӔO on March 03, 2013, 11:24:43 PM
How many units are sold per year? I'm not sure, but it's probably better than cars in some areas.

In war torn countries I guess. My country has quite a high density of weapons, but I don't think weapons make up more than an insignificant share of the goods transported. At a factory producing missiles, I can imagine a certain amount of wepons being transported, but the stream becomes diluted as it spreads across the globe.

Quote from: Václav on March 03, 2013, 09:54:27 PM
Ters, nothing against your complaints ... but this topic is not about their transporting.

This topic is about searching of ways how they would be included to they could be acceptable good.
My point is: Is it even worth simulating? (Except in non-realistic pak sets.) Weapons factories as end consumers perhaps. Is that too controversial also?

An_dz

Quote from: ӔO on March 03, 2013, 11:24:43 PMby far, the largest ownership of weapons are citizens, not military or police.

I had a magazine showing the estimate numbers, I can't find it now but wars are the biggest market.

ӔO

hmm, maybe it was 'guns' instead of 'weapons'.

Either way, I don't think it's 'fun' to add politically controversial elements to the game without some sort of political system, like tropico series, that upsets the populace due to your actions.

But then, if such a feature were to be added, it would be beyond the scope of the game, which is mainly about transportation.

---

off topic, but speaking of 'fun', it might be fun to balance happiness of shareholders, employees and customers of your company.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart: