News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Fabio = maintainer

Started by VS, October 21, 2013, 09:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

Hi guys,
you didn't hear from me for a long time... There are various reasons, but I will list the most important:

• final year of my PhD (hopefully) + the inevitable teaching and projects
  • parish and local home for disabled children both eat time in any quantity offered
  • Sant'Egidio
I guess I didn't share much about my religious background with you. That doesn't mean it doesn't constitute about half the "world I live in", however ;)

One fact cannot be hidden - meeting real people face to face and doing something (deeply?) meaningful is far more rewarding than virtual work on virtual hobby. One could perhaps even say that when there are people freezing to death, right over there, being ignored, or others disabled and still abused by their own parents, toy trains are silly. That's wrong, of course - everything has its place and importance, and without Simutrans I would have never grow up to be a hobby programmer and thus indirectly a successful technician. (Thanks, Hajo & Napik!)

Still, all of that is rather taxing. Some of you know that I feel my nerves aren't entirely up to the task. So, I am swamped with other things that need doing, and the pakset is gathering dust, while I obsess about small decisions like the farm from Sarlock. That can't be tolerated...

So I turned to the first (last?) visibly active person in the team, which is currently Fabio. I hope the team (does it still exist?) finds the new overlord acceptable :) For what's it worth, he is as shocked as the rest of you.

Don't start the funeral yet, I am not going to disappear entirely ;) I still monitor the forum, daily, stealthy like a nuclear submarine - hunting the spambots in the evenings :D I can stay part of the team, if desired, but my time for really doing something is severely limited. So, that's it...

I'd like to thank all of the people who helped me, and who helped make Simutrans the game, project, and community that I love :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Great news for the people you help. If you ever need a virtual  escaptism you can fire up a computer and be proud of how simutrans's pak128 had developed and surely will grown further under Fabio. Napik laid the foundations, and you nursed a big team around it. Best thanks for that.

Markohs

Well, I just had to google and read the wikipedia entry for Sant'Egidio. :) This is what I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Sant%27Egidio

I'm an atheist myself, even I was baptized as a catholic. Well, reading that article, I find those guidelines are quite encomiable, and I respect you for what are you doing. I wish you the best, and hope you find some time to still be among us, the time you can.

I wish you good luck, and I want to congratulate Fabio for his new task, that I'm sure he will be able to fulfill at least as good, as you have been doing all this years.

Good luck!

And good luck with the PhD too. ;)

Sarlock

I did the exact same thing and felt the same way, Markohs.  ;D

VS, you've done a wonderful job in your role and I am sure that Fabio is equal to the task: we are certainly left in good hands.

I wish you all the best with your future endeavours and hope that you continue to stay in touch for a long time to come.  Thanks for all of the wonderful work you've done (and will do in the future)!  :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

sdog

Thank you very much VS.

You had an extremely large project on your shoulders with the transition of the pakset to open source. And you did enviably well. The massive extension of the graphics and balancing would also not have been possible without you leading the effort and attracting and motivating new artists.

If they would not have had your constructive criticism and acceptance into the pakset several graphics artists would not have developed to skills that provide the high quality we see today.

All the best with the PhD project!

Zeno

Thankx so much VS for all these years of "service" to the community. You did a huge job for the pakset, culminated with the going opensource process.

In the personal side, let me give special thanks for all that you have taught me these years, which has been quite a lot.

Best luck for all your personal projects. These last months real life also has consumed most of my time, it's a pity we haven't been able to handle those late night chats that I already miss ;-)
Hugs from spain, and I hope we'll see you around from time to time, even if it's only to say hello!

mEGa

As many people said : thank you very much for your all and good work for Simutrans and pak128.
Good luck and best enjoy for continuation.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Fabio

Thank you so much Vladimir for your invaluable work for the pakset and for the honor of designing me as your successor!
Best luck for all your amazing projects in Real Life (TM) ;)

sdog

Dang, Real Life is trademarked now? I bet by Apple.

gauthier

It's always sad to see people leaving ... thanks for all though.

IgorEliezer

Thank you! And good luck with your project. :)

Dwachs

Thank you :) Have a good life :)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Tazze

Hi VS, You are regend now. Thank you.
I have a request. Please allow us to make a monument for you.
ganbare!!