News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

pak128 release version 2.3.0

Started by VS, March 19, 2013, 12:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

Here we go again - pak128 has another batch of improvements for you! This time there aren't as many new things, rather mostly fixes and tweaks.

DOWNLOAD pak128 2.3.0 (88 MB) for Simutrans 112.2

Thanks to everyone who helped, this release brings these changes from previous stable version (2.2.0):

• New scenario by ny911 - Swiss mountains
  • Added English, Russian and Czech street lists, improved Hungarian city list
  • New modern/futuristic buses by Gwalch and Christian
  • Winter version of some train stations from mEGa
  • Fabio's rail track set is completed with 280, 320 & 400 Kph versions
  • A cute roundabout from Raiser
  • Many other bugfixes and improvements
Big thanks to everyone, members of the team and other contributors alike!

If you are missing some of the previously removed objects, the compatibility pack might help somewhat.

Unfortunately, sources have exceeded reasonably uploadable size. The subversion repository is at http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/simutrans/pak128 and you can check out r1188, which is the one used for release.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Djohaal

As I found no suitable feedback thread for appreciation I'll leave this here.

Fabio you are a genius, those brown buildings match and align with each other such a way they look like bigger buildings (look at those 3 in the upper part of the image). This made me go "Oh snap!" in game to the point I took a screenshot and bothered to post it.  ;D

Sarlock

Yes, they are very nice in combinations... I like to put 4 of them together in a rotation and make it look like one building with a courtyard in the middle.  Or 6 in a rectangle, that looks nice as well.  They also look nice against the water's edge in a stepped up layout with a row of shorter blocks at the front and progressively higher ones in behind.  Lots of possibilities :)

Thanks, as always, for arranging the new release, VS :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

sdog

Thanks a lot for the screenshot Djohaal. Such are very useful when posting about this on social media.

gauthier

Quotestreet lists
Did I missed a whole part of Simutrans'evolution ? What are street lists ?  ???

Combuijs

Quote from: gauthier on March 23, 2013, 11:10:35 AM
Did I missed a whole part of Simutrans'evolution ? What are street lists ?  ???

You did indeed miss a whole part of Simutrans' evolution. Street lists are lists of streetnames. They are used for station names in a city. They combine city name and street name to a station name.

For instance: London Trafalgar Square, Amsterdam Keizersgracht, Paris Champs Elysée.

You can't limit names to certain cities though, so Birmingham Trafalgar Square, Rotterdam Keizersgracht and Marseille Champs Elysée are also valid station names.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

dom700

I'd also just like to say thanks to everyone involved for the great result.

gauthier

I have just noticed a streetlist file in pak128 folder. What are "%$1s" and "%$2s" ?

eipi

Quote from: gauthier on March 23, 2013, 06:58:52 PM
I have just noticed a streetlist file in pak128 folder. What are "%$1s" and "%$2s" ?

Ingame, the "%$1s" are replaced by the name of the town and the "%$2s" are replaced by stop type (i.e. "station", "airport", etc.)

maxe

Hey! First of all thanks for your work. I just started to play simutrans and really enjoy it. Your work is much appreciated :)
While starting a new game I was surprised about the economics & balancing of truck vs ship in 1930:

200t bulk ship for 34k and 7.6 per km --> invest 0,17/t --> runing 0,038/t*km
vs
6t bulk truck for 1.6k and 0.12 per km --> invest 0,27/t --> running 0,02/t*km

I don´t know about the relationship in investment cost in real life, but at least in running cost per ton the ship should be way cheaper than the truck?

Zeno

Well, economy balancing was made to try making the pakset more playable. Any coincidence with "real life" must be an accident ;)

Sarlock

Indeed, it's only modeled after real life numbers in a loose way.  Realistically a ship's purchase cost would be a lot more than a truck and cost much less per km per tonne (but much higher per km) to operate.  In pak128 (and other paksets) the capital purchase cost is adjusted down.  For example, a bus costs about 20,000 and a large ship costs 500,000 to purchase (in modern day dollars this is more like $200,000 and $50,000,000-a factor of 10).  Operating cost, at a guess, is probably around $1-2/km for the bus and several hundred $ per km for the ship.

The quandary is this: if you provide the player with $150,000,000 to start their transport company so that they can buy a couple of $50,000,000 ships, they don't have much incentive to focus on road transportation except as necessary to feed their ship network.  If, however, you smooth out the costs to be more comparable, then the player can make similar profits from all of the various forms.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

maxe

I think it is a good idea to scale down some zeroes, so that the ingame currency is worth 1k or more of modern day USD.
But that does not have to lead to a truck being cheaper than a ship when it comes to transporting huge masses of bulk goods ?

prissi

It is not cheaper, since it have to pay for the road (rarely highways are built by the truck companies in real life).

seki029

Sir road tolls seem not working. Correct me if I'm wrong. In a game with AIs, I build roads that connects cities but when AI vehicles use my road my Road Toll Indicator on the Finance tab is not changing from zero... I hope you can help me with this. thanks

prissi

Upon creation of your game, did you set this value to non-zero. I think this is off by default.

seki029

Is that the toll running cost and the way cost percentage? Yeah it is zero by default! Thanks! This forum helps a lot! :) One last thing Sir. Do you know what's is the best values for it? Thanks a lot!

prissi

There are no best values. But anything more than 15% could be too expensive. It really depends on the map you are playing.