News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[REQUEST] English Lets plays by pros!

Started by Starhero, March 31, 2013, 07:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starhero

Sadly, I can not seem to hold a profit in this game unless I let years pass and get me out of the red. So that is why I am requesting someone make a Youtube series over the latest Simutrans with the pak 128 (64 is ok too..I don't use anything else besides those 2)

I am new to the game, converted from Openttd, and I have converted because this game IS harder, but I seem to be missing most of the game as I literally need to wait years making only 8k a month to get me out of something like 200k in debt.

I have searched and read all I could, and its frustrating when all lets plays on youtube are in another language.

If anyone could help, that would be great. I don't mean a tutorial...A lets play mix with a tutorial like explanation style would be ok...I primary need the advanced course in the game, I got the basics..

IgorEliezer

I made a search on YT, and really, most of the Let's-plays are in German.

But still, I could recommend you watch some video made by our fellow member, Carl: http://www.youtube.com/user/carledwardbaker

Definitely, in my opinion, we should encourage people to make Let's-play videos of Simutrans, even if they monetize on it. It's a way of us to get publicity with no cost. (relevant discussion: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11089.0)

Sarlock

Often in early years, passenger and mail transport can be very difficult to make profitable, at least until you have a healthy number of connections available.  City densities are often too low and you lack the money to be able to connect 10-15 cities/stations together to be able to generate enough traffic to turn a good profit.

Usually the best way to get a good profit base established with pak128 in the 1930-1960 range is to connect a few industry chains together.  Coal-->Power Plant is one of my favorites.  At the start it is best to focus on chains that have only one or two steps involved.  More complex industry chains require a lot of starting money to be able to connect all of the components together.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

ӔO

okay, I have some free time on my hands currently. I'll try to make one.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Bear789

Sometimes I think I could do a youtube let's play/tutorial series, but when I speak in English my accent is horrendous, it may be easier to understand German :P.

Also, strategies are mostly dependant on the pak you're using.
For example, in pak128 passenger transpot is (or at leas used to be last time I played it) way less profitable than cargo. With pak 64 or 128.Britain it's easier to start with passengers, especially if you set long intercity roads when you generate a new map, so that you can start with busses without additional infrastructure costs.
Then again, this is only doable if you start after 1930, as before road vehicles are too slow and have too low capacity for anything but short local lines.

Starhero

Quote from: Sarlock on March 31, 2013, 08:22:05 AM
Often in early years, passenger and mail transport can be very difficult to make profitable, at least until you have a healthy number of connections available.  City densities are often too low and you lack the money to be able to connect 10-15 cities/stations together to be able to generate enough traffic to turn a good profit.

Usually the best way to get a good profit base established with pak128 in the 1930-1960 range is to connect a few industry chains together.  Coal-->Power Plant is one of my favorites.  At the start it is best to focus on chains that have only one or two steps involved.  More complex industry chains require a lot of starting money to be able to connect all of the components together.

That is what I have read on various posts on here..and I believe the quick start (which I had to hunt down a PDF of)

Coal is what I try to start with, I guess my issue is the map generation always ALWAYS puts connected industries so far away that I am loosing money from the train going so far to drop off and return empty.
If I use trucks then I don't transport enough.

Generally coal and power are near each other to use trucks or a short train..I also learned not to be laying ANY POWER LINES AT ALL unless I want that maint. cost to skyrocket.

Quote from: ӔO on March 31, 2013, 08:53:53 AM
okay, I have some free time on my hands currently. I'll try to make one.

Thank you! I eagerly await your videos!

On a side note: I am in a game where I found a decent prebuilt road system that could support a beer industry chain, and am pulling in 50k a year almost...tho that is dieing now because of traffic (first time for everything right? Lights are a bit confusing..er..should I say just aggravating because no matter what, I have lost profit due to the stop time)

50 something trucks to transport sand....I do that only cuz it is always screaming at me for being overcrowd.

Bear789

Quote from: Starhero on March 31, 2013, 09:47:41 AM
On a side note: I am in a game where I found a decent prebuilt road system that could support a beer industry chain, and am pulling in 50k a year almost...tho that is dieing now because of traffic (first time for everything right? Lights are a bit confusing..er..should I say just aggravating because no matter what, I have lost profit due to the stop time)

If you mean private cars traffic, in the road menus you should have a private road sign and road barriers. Place one of the two on the roads your trucks are using (you can do that as long as they are yours or public), then click on it with the inspection tool to set who can use the road (default is the company that placed it, of course, but you can change that if you need so). The road(s) protected with them will always be free of any traffic, (both private and competitors) for your vehicles.

Starhero

Quote from: Bear789 on March 31, 2013, 02:00:43 PM
If you mean private cars traffic, in the road menus you should have a private road sign and road barriers. Place on of the two on the roads you trucks are using (you can do that as long as they are yours or public), then click on it with the inspection tool to set who can use the road (default is the company that placed it, of course, but you can change that if you need so). The road(s) protected with them will always be free of any traffic, (both private and competitors) for your vehicles.

Nope, it was literally my own trucks,I fixed it by developing another road and loading bay for them..

Starhero

Well finally, I have profit of 150k a year, and 20k a month...I am in the black, and finally have something stable...It took micro managing the delivered and consumed graph for each station. Adding trains or trucks. Somehow I expected it to work a bit diffidently...

Those that still wanna make a lets play (never learn enough in games like this :P ) Please do so! The community will appreciate it!