News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Just playing around...

Started by Sarlock, April 08, 2013, 04:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarlock

Been busy testing some theories and concepts for some larger projects.  This is one of my better successes thusfar (and far from complete, no slopes done, etc):

I wanted to do an elevated transit/tram that uses one tile for both directions.  It's coded as an elevated roadway for that purpose.

The road below is also a test of a 3-lane avenue with a grass divider.  It's intended to be set up as a one-way road and the vehicles drive down the center lane.  The cross road is another road design that I am working on, 4-lane (2 each way) urban street.

The train (4-unit road vehicle, actually) is just from the Japan.pak128 addon site.  I'll draw a better train for these tracks at a later date (and remove the wheels).

These are intended to be cosmetic addons and would never work in the core pak because they don't play nicely with other ways (though the elevated tram could work with Experimental if coded as a unique way type).  They are part of a larger project that I am working on.  :)

The elevated tram is based on the Skytrain service in Vancouver:

Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

greenling

Hello Sarlock
The new monorail looks good out.
but by the road can it give problems with the positions of the grafics from vehicles.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Vladki

Sarlock, this stuff looks cool. How many tiles do those streets occupy?
Do you think it would be possible to introduce new dual track waytype?
Now we have 5 - single track systems (train, tram, narrow, maglev, monorail/schwebebahn), but only one dual track - roads. (and water canals). I was thinking about something like this:

Either a new waytype, or modification of some less used - for example real schwebebahn in Wuppertal is dual track. Would it be possible to recode it as dual track in simutrans?

Sarlock

The road running east-west is a single tile, the one running north-south is two tiles.  It is two road types, one with the boulevard on the right, the other with it on the left.  It has to be manually placed in order to have it look correct.  I wanted to do some experiments to see what kind of effects I could achieve with boulevard-seperated avenues.

The skytrain/tram is an elevated roadway graphic that lies at the edge of the tile and is placed over top of the east section of north/south road.  I will also develop a row of trees in the same fashion that can be placed down the boulevard as either an elevated roadway or electrification.  It's a kludge, but it's the only way to achieve a 2-tile road system that gives the desired effect.

I am working on the corners and intersections now so it's a long way from being done, especially since I will switch efforts to the pak128 conversion to half-heights for the next week or so, among other projects I am working on.

I think the best way to make that system you've attached work is to just code it as a roadway.  It's the only (ground) way type we have that is dual-sided on a single tile.  If it's done as an elevated roadway, other roads and railroads can go underneath it and will look and behave fine.  It will, of course, look awful if connected to another elevated road of a different type, just like if you tried to tie in to my elevated tram system.

In experimental, you'd be able to code the roadway as a special permission so that only certain vehicle types can travel on it.  But this is just for cosmetic purposes, so it doesn't really matter what someone CAN do, it matters most what looks nice to the player's eyes when designed correctly.

I've thought about designing a ski lift in the same fashion, just like the picture you have attached.

Vladki

Quote from: Sarlock on April 11, 2013, 12:33:40 AM
I've thought about designing a ski lift in the same fashion, just like the picture you have attached.

If you are interested check it out here:
https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/lanovka.pak
https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/lanovka.unpacked/
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11301.0

It is coded as trolleybus, one for passengers, one for bulk cargo, plus an elevated road - makes the support poles higher.

Antonin

paulo francis PF20

hello, I'm Paulo, Brazil .... this project three lane track, bearing and urban avenue, I have a doubt, how veicolos will walk the runway ... they will stop next in each track, or will get one after the other?
PF FRANCIS

Sarlock

Hi Paulo,
These are cosmetic only, they will still function exactly like regular 2-way streets.  Vehicles will drive down the centre (2nd) lane and the 1st and 3rd lanes will not be used.  If you don't set up the road as one-way, you can still drive vehicles down the opposite direction.
As this is graphical only you have to be sure to structure your road network accordingly so that they are used to proper effect.

paulo francis PF20

understand! your project, it will be ready when?
you will provide the clues to download? :)
PF FRANCIS

Sarlock

It should be ready soon, as well as several others, just been very busy lately.  I'll post them in the Addons for pak128 section when they are ready :)

paulo francis PF20

can not wait! ;D
Changing the subject a little ... recently was seeing your posts, and saw a picture that had streets with power poles ... really wanted it. You have created? You could pass the download link for me?
file:///C:/Users/paulo%20francis27/Documents/Nova%20pasta/farm_contest.png

Thank You for atten! :)
PF FRANCIS

Sarlock

After it's done I'll post the link... I just have to create the power poles images for the slopes and then it's complete :)

paulo francis PF20

I am anxiously waiting! And congratulations for the work!! ;D
PF FRANCIS

mEGa

Hi Sarlock.
I'm afraid it's just a little bit ambitious, isn'it ? But it's a great idea.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

paulo francis PF20

http://file:///C:/Users/paulo%20francis27/Pictures/autobahn.jpg
I found this picture in the old forum ... you will deploy these tracks on the roads you are building?
PF FRANCIS

IgorEliezer

Quote from: paulo francis PF20 on May 11, 2013, 08:23:16 PM
http://file:///C:/Users/paulo%20francis27/Pictures/autobahn.jpg
This link is pointing to your computer's hard drive, and I think that we are not supposed to "access" your computer to get the image, isn't it? ;-)

paulo francis PF20

true!! unfortunately I am not able to post the images without showing it!!  ???
PF FRANCIS

IgorEliezer

If you still want to show us the images, uploaded them here http://simutrans-germany.com/files/ (our server),  or  http://imgur.com/ (3rd party server), copy the URL link and paste it in the post. :)